My finger hurts from oiling (1 Viewer)

upNdown

Royal Flush
Reaction score
But it’s worth it.
I don’t oil new chips or newish chips; I don’t like oiling at all. The way I do it, it hurts. But it’s necessary for older chips that have gotten a good TSP substitute cleaning and are all dried out.
I put the cloth over the top of the oil bottle and give it a shake - just getting a bit on the cloth. I pinch that oil spot around the edge of the chip and oil about half the chip. Then I go to a dry place on the cloth and spread what oil is already on there around, to cover the whole chip. Then I go to another dry spot on the cloth, pinch the chip and try to rub all that oil either into the chip or off the cloth. Maybe like three pinchy rotations. The chips come out oiled and dry. But it hurts my finger.
But like I said, sometimes it’s necessary. Here’s a before and after:
7B21DD77-FE04-402F-B696-7FB7B0C3FBE9.jpeg

I gave myself tennis elbow and a whole bunch of nice blisters the first time I tried oiling a whole set. I feel your pain...

Reactions: Nex
I try to restrict masochism to the bedroom. :D
You could have oiled the edges using a clean and lightly oiled shoe-shine sponge (not more than half a teaspoon of oil per rack).
Then wipe the edges with a soft cloth and use the now very lightly oiled cloth for the chips' faces.
Anyway, the thing is to get some pleasure, in the end.:)

My best chip oiling results come from using an old fine bristle toothbrush dipped in just a tiny dab/dollop of mineral oil. Gets oil into all the hats and canes and rings.

Agree with doing it wrong. Leave the "compression" out of compression oiling for identical results.
Sure I could figure out a way of doing it that doesnt hurt, but it works for me. FWIW, I think I’m more compression drying than compression oiling. I’m no disciple of “oiling done right” this is just how my method has evolved. The most important thing to me is to get the chip completely oiled without needing to lay them out to dry.

First off, mineral oil doesn’t evaporate. So whatever you leave on the chip is what will be there...for a LONG time. Good to get off as much extra as you can.
That said, I’ve stopped oiling chips. Granted, they look much better...but I love the feel of a chalky chip. Oil leaves them too slippery, especially older chips...and if they’re well worn RHC chips, oil makes them like a wet bar of soap.

First off, mineral oil doesn’t evaporate. So whatever you leave on the chip is what will be there...for a LONG time. Good to get off as much extra as you can.
That said, I’ve stopped oiling chips. Granted, they look much better...but I love the feel of a chalky chip. Oil leaves them too slippery, especially older chips...and if they’re well worn RHC chips, oil makes them like a wet bar of soap.
I assure you, I wouldn’t own well worn RHC chips, much less oil then.
And you’re preaching to the choir about not liking oil. But again, may I draw your attention to exhibit A:
32E986D6-DE1B-4AAB-8E49-5E7E7A98A84F.png

I assure you, I wouldn’t own well worn RHC chips, much less oil then.
And you’re preaching to the choir about not liking oil. But again, may I draw your attention to exhibit A:
View attachment 608986
Don’t get me wrong...that’s why I said they look great afterwards!
But lately I’m loving the chalk. :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:

My CPC's I oiled and set on a towel. Every chip since, I've oiled and returned directly to the rack after a quick wipe to remove excess. If there's any oil in the rack, you've used too much.

Remember, you aren't lubing machine parts, you are simulating the oil from contact with hands.

...and touching each and every chip, my favorite part of the oiling process.

You're probably squeezing WAY too hard. The oil will naturally get into the chip by capillary action, though I think it takes too long by just wiping the rolling edge. Just a light compression.

Do you not like the results from using the oil/water trick?
'I've never tried it. I'm generally opposed to oiling chips, so when I have to oil, I'm going to be cautious. There's noting cautious about the oil in water trick, and it seems like there's a good chance of overoiling

Even brand spanking new CPCs get a quick wash with soap and water to get the dust off and a good oiling!
20200311_231213.jpg

I believe it seals the chips and keep dirt our of the pores in the clay. Maybe dumb but I read it in the original compression oiling thread and makes sense to me so I stick with it. We let them sit out for 24 hrs and then wipe each one down again to make sure there is no extra oil. That was 6 months ago, unfortunately because of covid we have only played them 3 times but still look fantastic! I guess we will see over time.

'I've never tried it. I'm generally opposed to oiling chips, so when I have to oil, I'm going to be cautious. There's noting cautious about the oil in water trick, and it seems like there's a good chance of overoiling
As long as you don’t use too much oil it’s fine, and it’s so much faster. I like to hand oil the rolling edges as they come out.

I am also opposed to oiling chips (mostly laziness), and even I can handle the oil/water trick.

@Ben8257 is just a different breed who likes hand washing and oiling his 40K chips :nailbite: —> Clearly I have no clue what these emojis actually mean

As long as you don’t use too much oil it’s fine, and it’s so much faster. I like to hand oil the rolling edges as they come out.

I am also opposed to oiling chips (mostly laziness), and even I can handle the oil/water trick.

@Ben8257 is just a different breed who likes hand washing and oiling his 40K chips :nailbite: —> Clearly I have no clue what these emojis actually mean
has anybody told Ben you have to re-oil your 40k chips from time to time?
That'll keep you busy forever.

has anybody told Ben you have to re-oil your 40k chips from time to time?
That'll keep you busy forever.
Especially BCCs... you can soak them in oil... dry them for 2 days and they are usually right back to dry!!

When I oiled the 2,400 BCC FOC chips... I said damn they are still dry, wound up oiling some of them 3 times and they are still dry! Lol

I have some chips that oiling has already started to fade... I know what lies ahead but I enjoy doing it!

+1 for hand oiling. That you, and I know @Hobbyphilic and @Ben8257 adhere too, as well. I will typically oil the edges of chips a barrel at a time, after aligning a barrel in a rack, then proceeding rubbing each face of the chip back and forth a microfiber or regular towel dampened with mineral oil and laid flat on a table. I've felt the finger pain too. No pain no gain. ;)

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom