My disappointing experience w/ 500 x Great Walls from Poker Chip Lounge (1 Viewer)

blu_in_green

Sitting Out
Reaction score
I thought it was worth sharing my experiences buying a new set of China Clays from Poker Chip Lounge in the late summer. Not so much to whine, but because I know I would have benefitted from knowing what I was getting into before spending about ~$200 USD on this set. In the grand scheme of things, sure this is nothing to get chuffed about, but since we are all chip hobbyists, I thought others might be interested as well.

So, the story:

I bought a set of 500 Great Walls in the late summer 2017 (100 x Red, White, Black 125 x Grey, 50 x Purple, 25 x Orange) mainly due to the positive reviews of high friction handling characteristics. I'm using them for primarily for heavy economic board games which require bank sizes between 60-100K and where large stacks of chips continually moving around the table from player to player over the course of 4-8 hours of gameplay (the reason high friction chips are lauded in this niche gaming space).

Disappointment #1: Upon opening the box, the wide stack hight differences between sleeves of 25 chips was immediately noticeable. 1.5 chip difference between 25xWhite and 25xPurple (shortest), 1 chip difference between white and black (2nd shortest).

IMG_1582.JPG IMG_1567.jpg

Disappointment #2: The white chips also have a harsh edge bevel (similar to the standard edge consistent across my 400 Apache Majestics), while the 400x other chips have sharp edges (as advertised on PCL, and more appealingly similar to ASM or Paulson chips).

IMG_1900.jpg

Disappointment #3: The purple chips are evidently from a different production machine/process/company(?), with a notably different look, feel, and size on both circumference and width from the other chips in my set. They have 4 dots from the injection/compression process, whereas the other 450 chips have 1 dot. It is hard to view them as being related to the other 450 chips; it is like I swapped in some Majestics or some Ceramics. There also seem to be more common and larger gaps between the edge spots and the body of the chip.

IMG_1901.jpg IMG_1922.JPG

Disappointment #4: I've had significant flea bites on the Red and Black chips from what I consider fairly standard shuffling or dropping onto themselves from an inch or so above my table, whereas I've had none on my Apache Majestics after a year of use.

IMG_1899.JPG IMG_1592.JPG

With the whites and purples looking to be from a different set/manufacturer, I've been try to arrange an exchange on these for a number of weeks now (or return of the full set) but have not had success thus far. I'm a bit concerned I'm now being ignored by their customer service, but maybe it is due to the holidays this time of year...

I would appreciate comments on whether my expectations are out of line here, and what you'd consider a reasonable resolution.

Tl;Dr: I ended up spending ~$200 (including shipping) on a chipset that that does not match well and is chipping disappointingly. If you are looking to complete a 500+ chip set of custom chips, be aware chips from the same order may appear very very different. Pictures of chipping and size issues can be found on page 36 and 37 of the BoardGameGeek thread titled "Poker chip recommendations."

China Clays are notorious for flea bits and all the other issues you describe.
I really like the sharp edges that some have though. Was not aware they existed.
On the plus side, the broken purple chip does reveal the edgespot to be solid and not "wrapped" by the base color.
Sorry you spent time and money on product that does not meet you expectations.

+1 what Meddler2 said. Many of us experienced the same issues with CCs, except for the sharp edged ones. I never received any of those! They do look great.

The white ones have the same extreme bevel that my CC Pharaohs $1s had. It's weird looking at all the inconsistencies in the moldings in some of those photos of yours. Good luck with the refund if it heads that way. I wouldn't be happy to proceed with that set either.

I appreciate the feedback on this. I know its petty, but for me this is a good amount of money and I'm just used to far better service from online retailers with a reputation.

It's not petty. It's a real annoyance to anyone with even the most mild chip OCD. Slight thickness differences can occur, even with current production CPCs, but completely different shaped and sized chips from the same set/series isn't good enough.

man, i'd love to purchase a boatload of the sharp edged ones but don't want to risk all the other inherit issues with cc.
Just a post from today that seems to indicate the cc Majestic have high quality.

Thank you for sharing your experience.

[...]
Disappointment #1: Upon opening the box, the wide stack hight differences between sleeves of 25 chips was immediately noticeable. 1.5 chip difference between 25xWhite and 25xPurple (shortest), 1 chip difference between white and black (2nd shortest).
[...]

Truly appalling...

Yep I've played with China clays where the poker table felt was covered in little bits of @detroitdad chips at the end of the night. The chips were literally crumbling before our eyes.

Yep I've played with China clays where the poker table felt was covered in little bits of @detroitdad chips at the end of the night. The chips were literally crumbling before our eyes.

yep. Granted they were used pretty heavily for about five years. When they started to fall apart it happened pretty fast.

Does oiling help to prevent crumbling? I've got a bunch of PGI CCs in this shape.

Does oiling help to prevent crumbling? I've got a bunch of PGI CCs in this shape.
Not in my experience. Most older CC suffer from this and all the other issues listed above. Mine were so bad I tossed a 600pc set in the trash. Every time I used them, there would be chip flakes all over the felt. I think the new Dunes and Majestic offered by Apache are better. At least I haven't read anything bad about them.

That's the risk one takes when buying CCs. Varying degrees of issues associated with them: flea bites, uneven stacks, funky smell, warping, etc.

Not in my experience. Most older CC suffer from this and all the other issues listed above. Mine were so bad I tossed a 600pc set in the trash. Every time I used them, there would be chip flakes all over the felt. I think the new Dunes and Majestic offered by Apache are better. At least I haven't read anything bad about them.
Ok, cool, you just saved me a bunch of work :)

Huh...I had a China clay Palm v8 set that never had any issues. Played them last night, and are literally like new after 50-60 games.

Just a quick update.

After Poker Chip Lounge Customer Service wrote that that I could get replacements for any crumbled chips or return the set, I countered asking for an exchange on the 50 purple or a return of the set for a full refund including shipping. I haven't received a response in around 2 weeks (I pinged for an update to my case a couple days ago and plan to ping them again today).

I fear PCL have chosen to stop responding to my correspondence after I was getting my hopes up on finding a workable resolution.

It might also be of interest that I've submitted my experiences in a detailed review for their website and confirmed my email with them, yet after about a week, the review is not showing on their website....

Maybe this is why there are currently no reviews for the Great Wall Blanks?

I’m sympathetic and I appreciate you sharing your story. Poker Chip Lounge isn’t a vendor I’m familiar with (maybe because I don’t shop for china clays or plastics) but how they fix (or. don’t fix) your situation will influence whether I do business with them.

Uneven stacks between denominations is a known problem with China clays. Whether that’s accceptible or not is your decision, but hopefully the vendor isn’t suppressing that sort of information on their website.

Chipping chips can be a problem with any chips. Again, if these ones are particularly succeptilbe to chipping, hopefully that would show up in online reviews.

But having chips with varied edges (some beveled, some not) is unacceptable to me. Shame on them for selling a set like that and screw then if they don’t make it right.

Good luck and keep us informed

I’m sympathetic and I appreciate you sharing your story. Poker Chip Lounge isn’t a vendor I’m familiar with (maybe because I don’t shop for china clays or plastics) but how they fix (or. don’t fix) your situation will influence whether I do business with them.

Uneven stacks between denominations is a known problem with China clays. Whether that’s accceptible or not is your decision, but hopefully the vendor isn’t suppressing that sort of information on their website.

Chipping chips can be a problem with any chips. Again, if these ones are particularly succeptilbe to chipping, hopefully that would show up in online reviews.

But having chips with varied edges (some beveled, some not) is unacceptable to me. Shame on them for selling a set like that and screw then if they don’t make it right.

Good luck and keep us informed

I agree with this 100%: it isn't the stack height differences (previously reported, and I should have done my homework), or the chipping (wear and tear, I get it...though these seem to be deteriorating rapidly, dusting and chipping in their racks, with very minimal movement), but the way my set looks as though it was built by 3 different manufactures/processes/machines that really killed it for me.

So I called PCL up today and spoke with a very helpful agent. We agreed they would refund 150 chips (whites and purples) and they will let me keep them (no shipping). Although this doesn't get me a matching set, it was a good gesture on there part and I may give them a call back about ordering another set of purples to make a reasonably well matching set.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom