My cross-country bike/poker tour just may become a reality (3 Viewers)

The question will be are there enough players to fill all the games. People may be able to double dip once or twice, but relying on the same crew every day won't work, obviously. I mean, I'm degenerate enough, but I'm not sure everyone else is.

All of us have locals as well as the PCF crowd, so I think we can do this. I would be surprised if we couldn't. We should at least try, as it would be fun.

If a Hitching Post visit comes to fruition on this tour I will put the invite out to PCFers first since there are a number who are locally close enough to attend. (BGinGA, Shleepytime, Georgiakurt, BiGGyT, Celamantia, Honais, etc.) I will round out with locals.

Snoop when it comes time just let me know if you want a night of NLHE or circus games.

So as I continue to put together the list of things I'd like to accomplish, and what I want to say about poker, America, etc., I'm thinking that playing in the WSOP Main Event if at all possible seems like a no-brainer.

Because I likely won't be able to start my trip until mid-June, I'll have to start on the West Coast and work my way east. And in thinking about where the best place to start would be, I think a trip across the Golden Gate Bridge would be rather poetic.

Here's a VERY preliminary route. This just includes a few possible poker stopping points along the way, as well as some places that I think would add to the story, like stops in Washington, DC and Philly.

Part of the reason a west-east route is attractive as well is that it would allow me to end the trip with my own home game. After 4,500 miles and 2+ months on the road, it would be pretty awesome to play a game with old friends, and it would also make a great ending to the story, too.

So as I continue to put together the list of things I'd like to accomplish, and what I want to say about poker, America, etc., I'm thinking that playing in the WSOP Main Event if at all possible seems like a no-brainer.

Because I likely won't be able to start my trip until mid-June, I'll have to start on the West Coast and work my way east. And in thinking about where the best place to start would be, I think a trip across the Golden Gate Bridge would be rather poetic.

Here's a VERY preliminary route. This just includes a few possible poker stopping points along the way, as well as some places that I think would add to the story, like stops in Washington, DC and Philly.

Part of the reason a west-east route is attractive as well is that it would allow me to end the trip with my own home game. After 4,500 miles and 2+ months on the road, it would be pretty awesome to play a game with old friends, and it would also make a great ending to the story, too.
Not sure if it's just me but I'm not getting the route link to pull through correctly.

(Might be me - on Tapatalk)

I really like the prelim route with a few notes.
  • Be ready for hell everywhere between San Bernadino and Utah. It will be friggin' hot, more than 105 for sure when you are crossing that desert. Could get to 115!
  • Club Courage & Hitching Post are so close to the route, you gotta make it so!
  • If I do not sell my house, you have a free place to stay zip code 80465 Morrison, CO. The house is 9 miles up to the hill from Red Rocks Amphitheatre

Coming up with lots of new ideas/plans to make this happen. More details to come, including hopefully a blog that will track my plans/progress. Thanks to bergs and ChickenRob for offering lots of good suggestions to tweak the plan.

Possible 5-day, 4-night MA/NH trip coming together (with help from some PCFers who might be willing to host a game). Looking the trip will be July 21-25 (though the route will be in reverse of what I have here, starting in Needham (F - the A is obscured) and heading south, before heading up to NH. I like this route because it will give me some experience biking through a city, and I'm really looking forward to the scenic ride up the NH coastline. Going to have to try to get up early so I can enjoy a leisurely late lunch in Portsmouth that day.

MA-NH summer route.png

Whether you start, or end your journey in San Francisco I'd be more than happy to find a game or two for you here.

Or buy you a beer or two at the very least.

And I know quite a few serious bicylists that I could hook you up with too.

• Be ready for hell everywhere between San Bernadino and Utah. It will be friggin' hot, more than 105 for sure when you are crossing that desert. Could get to 115!
  • If I do not sell my house, you have a free place to stay zip code 80465 Morrison, CO. The house is 9 miles up to the hill from Red Rocks Amphitheatre

I am curious are you determined to bike the entire route? I just thought about bringing up the possibility of riding great stretches and hitting great cardrooms and trying to arrange rides to allow you to see more and play more during your time. If scheduling works I could pick you up in Vegas and drive you to my place.

I am curious are you determined to bike the entire route? I just thought about bringing up the possibility of riding great stretches and hitting great cardrooms and trying to arrange rides to allow you to see more and play more during your time. If scheduling works I could pick you up in Vegas and drive you to my place.

I definitely want it to be a cross country bike trip. There may be a few instances when I get a ride somewhere (say I get set up for the night wherever I'm staying, then grab a ride to/from a poker game), but I wouldn't want to cut out a big portion of my trip by car.

Don't forget to drop a bug in our ears when you get the crowdfunding up and running. I know it will be a while, but I want the book.

is cross country cycling for a cause common? saw this guy doing it to every MLB park to raise money for big brothers/big sisters.

Cross country cycling is pretty common, actually, and some but not all attach fundraising to it.

Very cool idea snooptodd, looks like your route won't take you this way, but zip 33511 near Tampa should anything change. I can definitely put together a game

Are you crowd funding? I will definitely send a few bucks for this if so.

Stay tuned. Project is coming together. More to come after this summer's mini MA/NH tour. Appreciate the early support from everyone!

IF you chose to fund-raise, I think the PPA (Poker Player's Association) would be a good cause - though many, MANY others may be more important.

IF you chose to fund-raise, I think the PPA (Poker Player's Association) would be a good cause - though many, MANY others may be more important.

I have something in mind, but not the PPA. Don't want to get political, really, though I obviously support the PPA's mission. Going to reach out to the potential charity later this summer (post-mini-tour) to see if they'd be interested, and I'm hoping they'll be on board. It's really a great cause and ties in well with the trip.

Are your mini-tour dates solid? I want to make sure you have a game here if you want/need it...

Confirmed with boss #1 (wife) and boss #2 (work) today ... July 21-25. I'll be arriving in Dover on Thursday, July 23, if you'll have me.

I will get out the word to the local crowd that the game is at my house that week. We'll be here for you unless something unforeseeable goes terribly wrong.

Forgot to mention that I rented a bike to take a an afternoon while I was in Vegas for the WSOP to do a 20-mile ride in the summer sun. I left the shop at about 12:30 p.m., and it was so hot the bus I rode to get there overheated on the way. I think the temperature was 105.

That being said, I handled the heat okay. Obviously I drank a TON of water, but with the sweat evaporating almost instantly, it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. The biggest challenge will likely be making sure I have enough water with me to get to the next spot where I can refill. I already have a 10-liter collapsible water container, but my guess is I'll want to get at least one more for the trek across the desert.

You are still missing the most important part of the chipdom. But I get it...it's ONLY another 1500miles to hit the pacific northwest.

People just don't understand how nice the desert heat is compared to humid heat. Las Vegas is one of my favorite tennis locations because you don't get bogged down in sweat which doesn't evaporate and therefore doesn't cool.

That said, It's much easier to carry a crapload of water in a car to a tennis match than on a bike across the desert. Since I've often wanted to drive across the desert, if you don't have a sag van available for the desert leg let me know. I cannot promise anything - my employer always gets a last say on things like time off - but safety is paramount.

Three days until I leave for the MA/NH mini-tour. Games hosted by @iBetOnEverything, @Chicken Rob and @bergs. One day off between game 1 and 2. Most challenging day will likely be the day I bike Chicken's to bergs', as it's back-to-back games with a 65-mile ride between. Pretty psyched for the preliminary run ... once it's done real planning stages begin!

My regs are looking forward to the game.

If you get here early, we do pub trivia on weds night at 8 in dover. We can't guarantee a spot on the main team, but we usually have a second team that is less than the 6 max allowed if you want to join in.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom