My cross-country bike/poker tour just may become a reality (2 Viewers)

Also, theres always a place for a poker game and a ride through the cascade mountains in Wenatchee. You can add me to your itinerary as well.

This pic is why i don't share my triathlon exploits on this forum. While there is nothing wrong with it per se, it lends itself to a certain line of humor. Then you went and used the word "naked" in a post with a picture of you in a tri kit. Let the games begin. Poker chip pr0n yes, triathlon pr0n, no.

No sir, I did not use the word Naked.. I used the word Nude, lol

And there was NO sexier carbon finish ever done by Trek than the "Nude" carbon. They clear coated over the carbon weave. It was gorgeous.. Loved my next bike (super fast), but the plain black finish was meh...

It sounds like the OP has some great resources locally (friends) who know a lot about biking, and likely is starting out with a fair amount of biking knowledge already. I digress.

/threadjack

Last edited:
Congrats on making this a reality. I wonder if theres a public pin app that people can just add locations so you can see a map unfold before you? Something like:

http://www.pinmaps.net/mymaps/

I've actually set up a quick Google Map with pins where people have said they would host a game. (The site you listed lets you pin 30 locations for free, then charges $7/month if you want more ... I'll take the freebie from Google.)

For those of you that provided a city (or have one listed in your "location" in your profile), I've pinned it in that town center. Those of you who provided a more general location, I've pinned it in the general location. For now it's open for editing to anyone who has a link, so if you'd like to add your game (or move one I've already posted closer to your actual location), please feel free! Probably best not to locate the pin right on your house, just put it in the town center.

If you don't want your game listed, feel free to remove it (but if you'd like to stay on my list of places to go, let me know so I can keep it in mind).

https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=znGwPPx8yLZw.kvCdSlNMCZGQ

I've actually set up a quick Google Map with pins where people have said they would host a game. (The site you listed lets you pin 30 locations for free, then charges $7/month if you want more ... I'll take the freebie from Google.)

For those of you that provided a city (or have one listed in your "location" in your profile), I've pinned it in that town center. Those of you who provided a more general location, I've pinned it in the general location. For now it's open for editing to anyone who has a link, so if you'd like to add your game (or move one I've already posted closer to your actual location), please feel free! Probably best not to locate the pin right on your house, just put it in the town center.

If you don't want your game listed, feel free to remove it (but if you'd like to stay on my list of places to go, let me know so I can keep it in mind).

https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=znGwPPx8yLZw.kvCdSlNMCZGQ

Birmingham, MI (48009) awaits the "snooptodds"! ;)

Payback (who responded on a different site) and I are west and north of Chicago, respectively. Our usual games are on Saturday evenings, and sometimes also on Friday evenings. It would be nearly impossible to get a weeknight game off the ground. Maybe you could coordinate your trip with the Windy City Blowout, July 23-25, just northwest of Chicago. You could give your tush a break and plant it in a poker seat for three days. :)

Edit: Oops, I was a little off on the dates for Windy City Blowout, but only by a year or so.

Last edited:
No sir, I did not use the word Naked.. I used the word Nude, lol

And there was NO sexier carbon finish ever done by Trek than the "Nude" carbon. They clear coated over the carbon weave. It was gorgeous.. Loved my next bike (super fast), but the plain black finish was meh...

It sounds like the OP has some great resources locally (friends) who know a lot about biking, and likely is starting out with a fair amount of biking knowledge already. I digress.

/threadjack

Now this is sexy carbon.

[URL=http://s174.photobucket.com/user/slisk/media/DSC03200.jpg.html][/URL]

[URL=http://s174.photobucket.com/user/slisk/media/DSC03198.jpg.html][/URL]

[URL=http://s174.photobucket.com/user/slisk/media/DSC03195.jpg.html][/URL]

/threadjackjacked

Payback (who responded on a different site) and I are west and north of Chicago, respectively. Our usual games are on Saturday evenings, and sometimes also on Friday evenings. It would be nearly impossible to get a weeknight game off the ground. Maybe you could coordinate your trip with the Windy City Blowout, July 23-25, just northwest of Chicago. You could give your tush a break and plant it in a poker seat for three days. :)

2016 dates announced already?

Edit: Oops, I was a little off on the dates for Windy City Blowout, but only by a year or so.

Windy City Blowout attendance seems like a no brainer.

I'm near the Louisville Zoo, naturally. 40213. Regular game is Thursday but could get one going most any time. Thursday would be $1/1 mixed game but any other time we can do .25/.50 or whatever and likely a dealer.

Upstairs bedroom has a double and a twin bed and I'd crash on comfy sofa so another room with queen bed if fam would like to stay.

Quite an adventure!

Just a thought - pre-arrange your poker games in advance, and do electronic payments for your local roll.

I'd trust the chippers on this forum with my money before I trusted the roads with a roll in my gear.

Yeah, basically advertising that I'd be running around with a bunch of cash on a bicycle doesn't sound like a great idea. Certainly would figure something out to make it work.

I already see two NW people offering games, but I will definitely throw my hat in the ring also.

I'm in Lake Stevens (98258), I-5 corridor about 30 minutes North of Seattle, I also would do anything needed to host a game for you as well. And if not host, I would take an invite to where ever you play when you are here! ;) lol

Sounds cool, I hope to do something similar some day but I'm way to lazy and way to in love with internal combustion to do it on a bike, I'm taking a car.

I'd be able to host a game in SE Mass if your route takes you this way. Could also let you and the family use my comp rooms at Foxwoods too (as long as it's Sun-Thurs [emoji14])

Yup! and Madison is a hope, skip, and a jump (or short day-long bike ride) away!

Obviously this is super preliminary, but my initial thought would be to work my way down to Club Courage, head north to Chicago/WI/MN, then down to Denver, through to Vegas and race to the Pacific -- maybe LA? Best guess is my wife would join me for the first part to Chicago then head home with the kids and I'd do the rest of the trip solo.

how about just a bike trip around southern mass up to southern NH? could hit me, chicken rob, bergs, ibet. could probably do that in a 4 day weekend.

;)

ill meet you at each place, driving of course

how about just a bike trip around southern mass up to southern NH? could hit me, chicken rob, bergs, ibet. could probably do that in a 4 day weekend.

;)

That's very possible this summer to get some more experience under my best. I've done an out-and-back to Truman's House a couple times, but that's only a 30-mile ride from my house (except when I go the wrong way and it turns into a 40-mile ride). Definitely something I'm thinking about, though.

....Carbon fork and seat stays for comfort......

Generally good advice, but can you explain this? It's never been true in my touring experience, unless they've invented some new kind of flexible carbon while I wasn't looking. And if you've ever hit a bump and gotten a carbon fork into an oscillation mode on a steep descent ... {shudder}.

We'd have a game down here in Sarasota/Bradenton FL (34202), and I could also set one up on schedule in Washington, DC / Alexandria, VA, which might well be on your course.

Also, should they coincide with your schedule, there are the AtLarge poker gathering in Atlantic City, NJ, in April, and the BARGE gathering in Las Vegas the first weekend in August (though that's not the optimal time of year for southern Nevada cycling weather!) Not to mention the WSOP...

;)

That's very possible this summer to get some more experience under my best. I've done an out-and-back to Truman's House a couple times, but that's only a 30-mile ride from my house (except when I go the wrong way and it turns into a 40-mile ride). Definitely something I'm thinking about, though.
\\

Add in a game at Guinness' and finish up at the treehouse. We could probably do 7 games in 7 days around here, each 40-50 miles apart if we zig zag them properly.

\\

Add in a game at Guinness' and finish up at the treehouse. We could probably do 7 games in 7 days around here, each 40-50 miles apart if we zig zag them properly.

The question will be are there enough players to fill all the games. People may be able to double dip once or twice, but relying on the same crew every day won't work, obviously. I mean, I'm degenerate enough, but I'm not sure everyone else is.

Generally good advice, but can you explain this? It's never been true in my touring experience, unless they've invented some new kind of flexible carbon while I wasn't looking. And if you've ever hit a bump and gotten a carbon fork into an oscillation mode on a steep descent ... {shudder}.

The beauty of carbon is that is can be weaved in such a manner as to get the stiffness/efficiency benefits, yet be flexible in other directions (to allow for road dampening). Yes, a carbon fork and stays will greatly improve comfort and will increase pedal efficiency.

If you've ever owned an OCLV frame, then you've experienced this on an entire frame-level. :)

I bought a bike from one of the guys that worked on the development of the OCLV frame (he was all too happy to share with me more than I ever wanted to know about OCLV carbon). :rolleyes:

Last edited:
This was an interesting video of how they make the Trek OCLV, they actually discuss the concept I mention above.

The beauty of carbon is that is can be weaved in such a manner as to get the stiffness/efficiency benefits, yet be flexible in other directions (to allow for road dampening). Yes, a carbon fork and stays will greatly improve comfort and will increase pedal efficiency....

That's good to know. But how do you know that any given frame or fork will have been engineered to that state of the art? Is it a safe assumption these days, or do you need to find detailed reviews of each model?

(My experience with CF was about 20 years ago, when Trek brought out their first CF frames, the 2300 and 2500. And the CF fork that scared the crap out of me was on my brothers Cannondale at that time, but I don't remember the model. I still have my Trek 1500 aluminum of that era, when high-end steel frames were markedly more comfortable than any of the then-new aluminum or CF frames.)

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom