My battle with a rail… I think I’m winning… (1 Viewer)

CHP TD

Flush
Supporter
Reaction score
To start with the link to the build is here but the battle I have with this rail really needs a story all itself.

Wood work was no big deal. well it was but in comparison to the rail it was easy.

To start I could only get a piece of foam that was smaller than the rail. If you’re a tl;dr guy here’s the tip. Always get a piece of foam bigger than your rail. Its been said more than once on this forum and you can take it to the bank - its more than 200% more trouble using glue to stick foam together.

To start with can’t get any good materials in this part of the world commercially. The commercial places only sell 2 way stretch vinyl. And the choices of foam are very limited and Very expensive. So I went to an upholsterer and got what’s really 2 and a half way stretch vinyl. But it is MUCH better than 2 way. It gives on the non-stretchy axis about half as much stretch as the other axis.

So I cut the foam but stuffed the first time I dropped the rail onto the foam. With contact adhesive and foam you get 1 go to get it right. So I fixed the bit on the side i stuffed that first by gluing on the extra piece and moved onto the other part of the rail

this is the fix for the side bit

Side foam fix2nd.jpg

Glued it together and stuck it to the wood. I should have taken a photo here but I didn’t.

Anyway starting the vinyl I noticed a huge bump where the stuck together seam was!?!? I was warned about this but it wouldn’t happen to me right?!?!.

Bump.jpg

Anyway another top tip. Do not use the contact that you brush on stick foam together! It makes a huge bump on the vinyl.

Undo 25 staples… ( I didn’t know at this time that there were many more staples to remove in the future…) and decided on a fix. I think this is about the most difficult way to fix this problem But I’m hoping it has the best result.

First go to the hardware store and get some expensive spray on contact glue.

2 I cut out more foam so you cut the seam out. this is really easy just lay a bit on top of the foam you want to cut out. Do them at the same time that they will be a perfect match.

wish i had a pickie but nup...

3 spray glue stick back together.

3 a Repeat earlier steps for the bit I stuffed earlier on the side

When this dried it was better but there is still a raised bit.

4 Go to store get dryer sheets, wash some clothes then put them in the dryer with the sheets. Get stopped by wife saying it’s a hot day you stupid man just hang them out. Then explain for 10 mins what you’re doing then continue on. Get the sheets out of the dryer and I found they were very crinkled. So I ironed them flat then glued them over the offending glued foam. I did a test to see if there were any noticeable dents in the vinyl by stretching the vinyl over the seams and there were smaller dents "Yay" but goddamit they were still there?!?!?

Then I had what I think is a great thought! I still have the foam for the playing surface.

5 So I got it out and glued it on top of the foam. This made a noticeable difference. Almost invisible.

fianl foam.jpg

20180204_185300.jpg

Anyway I have done the first staples on the outside of the rail. There’s more to go but its shaping up pretty well. Notwithstanding the stuffups!

20180205_181854.jpg

and here it is

20180205_225821.jpg

and here is the bump

nobump 1.jpg

and again...

Nobump2.jpg

and the other side

nobump3.jpg

there are a few staples still to take out to make it perfect but there it is...

more later

Four minor tips.....

1. Cut your sectional foam pieces with a diagonal cut on the ends, rather than a square butt cut. This allows a longer diagonal butt joint, which is easier to hide under your dryer sheet and vinyl wrap.

2. Don't glue the foam sections together -- just use spray adhesive to attach them to the rail, butted up next to each other. This will help prevent the hard glue seam issues you are experiencing.

3. Don't glue the dryer sheet(s) to the foam, for the same reasons stated above. Just place a single sheet over your joined foam pieces, and wrap the vinyl over it -- pulling the vinyl tight will keep the dryer sheet in place (with no ugly glue seam).

4. Totally disregard steps 1, 2, and 3, and don't use sectional foam for the rail. A single oversize piece is much easier to upholster, looks better when finished, and the extra cost is minimal if you value your time and labor. But you knew that already.... :)

1. Cut your sectional foam pieces with a diagonal cut on the ends, rather than a square butt cut. This allows a longer diagonal butt joint, which is easier to hide under your dryer sheet and vinyl wrap.

I hope i never have to cut rail foam again. but if i di it will be on an angle

2. Don't glue the foam sections together -- just use spray adhesive to attach them to the rail, butted up next to each other. This will help prevent the hard glue seam issues you are experiencing.

Yep did the experiment. epic fail:(

3. Don't glue the dryer sheet(s) to the foam, for the same reasons stated above. Just place a single sheet over your joined foam pieces, and wrap the vinyl over it -- pulling the vinyl tight will keep the dryer sheet in place (with no ugly glue seam).

Noted will not do it next time(y) :thumbsup:

4. Totally disregard steps 1, 2, and 3, and don't use sectional foam for the rail. A single oversize piece is much easier to upholster, looks better when finished, and the extra cost is minimal if you value your time and labor. But you knew that already.... :)

Hell yes to that!!!!:eek:
:eek::eek::p:p:p

In fact your the one who said not to do any of it. i should have listened... :(:(:(:(

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom