Musicians Gone Too Soon: Nomination Thread (1 Viewer)

You could probably make a case for any of The 27 Club, but I will propose the interesting example of Nick Drake who only recorded 3 studio albums which totaled about 12,000 copies sold in his lifetime. He never gained any notoriety in his 26 years of life and there is no known video footage of him alive yet alone of him performing. Yet many years later he went on to become a defining influence in music to musicians across genres and sell millions of albums decades later. Who knows what would have become of him or his influence on music if he had lived on.

Didnt think anyone would list Nick Drake. Love the Drake!!!

1591665508819.png

I’ll give a shout out to Frank Zappa. Died at 52 in 1993.
I think he was a hell of an artist but I can’t say I understand some of his music.

Keith Richards.

Lmao. Like that’s ever gonna happen.

Freddy Mercury, Randy Rhoads, SRV to name a few. Hate to see people go just when they’ve really started to shine.

A lot of the greats mentioned here. Music has always been a big part of my like. Gotta mention Dick Dale who died last year. The King of Surf Guitar Music!

Another artist for consideration that I haven’t seen yet is Graham Parsons. Huge influence on the Cali sound.

Missed out on this thread yesterday, so all my nominations have already been mentioned but...

1990s-Present - Chris Cornell is #1 on this list for me, with Layne being a close second. Andy Wood and Chester Bennington are good honorable mentions. Not sure if I saw Jeff Buckley already on this list but he'd be another good addition.

Pre-90's - Do we count Syd Barrett as pre-90's? He died in 2006 but basically "died" from the music world in the early 70's. Hendrix is my 1st choice here for sure. SRV too, although I guess his death was in 1990, he might be considered in the post-90's group.

OK... so as a product of the late 70s & 80s, & primarily a bass player, I have 2 heros...

One, no surprise here, is Rudy Sarzo. Quiet Riot, Ozzy, Whitesnake... yea, that one's obvious. I hear he's doing a stint with Blue Oyster Cult lately.

The other, not so obvious, & 100% the reason I bought a Gibson Victory Artist after seeing Asia live, we lost to colon cancer in 2017.... John Wetton

OK... so as a product of the late 70s & 80s, & primarily a bass player, I have 2 heros...

One, no surprise here, is Rudy Sarzo. Quiet Riot, Ozzy, Whitesnake... yea, that one's obvious. I hear he's doing a stint with Blue Oyster Cult lately.

The other, not so obvious, & 100% the reason I bought a Gibson Victory Artist after seeing Asia live, we lost to colon cancer in 2017.... John Wetton

I am by no means any kind of an expert or aficionado of bass playing. But one particular bass player (also deceased way too young) has made an impact on me. His name is Allen Woody (no joke!) and he played with Warren Haynes in Gov't Mule, and before that in the Allman Brothers Band. His style of playing bass just always stood out to me, and he really makes an impact on many of my favorite songs by those two bands. I've always been curious where he stands among great bass players?

I've always been curious where he stands among great bass players?
As a member of the Allman Bros, that's instant credibility right there.

Prior to the Allman Bros. stint he played with Artimus Pyle for a bit & The Peter Criss/Stan Penridge touring act "The Criss-Penridge Alliance". Which was basically Criss & Penridge plus Woody's jazz-rock fusion band "Montage".

Missed out on this thread yesterday, so all my nominations have already been mentioned but...

1990s-Present - Chris Cornell is #1 on this list for me, with Layne being a close second. Andy Wood and Chester Bennington are good honorable mentions. Not sure if I saw Jeff Buckley already on this list but he'd be another good addition.

Pre-90's - Do we count Syd Barrett as pre-90's? He died in 2006 but basically "died" from the music world in the early 70's. Hendrix is my 1st choice here for sure. SRV too, although I guess his death was in 1990, he might be considered in the post-90's group.
Imagine how different the world would be without post-Barrett Pink Floyd though. A sad story for sure, but Dave Gilmour ftw lol

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom