Murder or sticker over? Jack tourney white & black label (2 Viewers)

Anybody who thinks they can 100% perfectly preserve a chip by labeling over the inlay is fooling themselves. Trying to rehab a labeled-over chip by pulling off the label will do the following things:
- leave a sticky gooey mess of epoxy on top of the laminate layer that protects the inlay, which will need to be removed otherwise your chips will stick together all the time; you think Bud Jones CIC suction effect is annoying? This is worse.
- some of the time, conservative estimate 3-5%, you will actually remove the protective laminate while removing the overlabel, forever altering the chip and subjecting the inlay to surface damage; good luck cleaning them ever again

Change of plan... the snappers are staying snappers. the purple stack of 500s will most likely end up bounty or rebuy chips and I have SY $2s and Paris $2s slated for Gear labels. The plan is to over label them for sure tho... I don't like the idea of murdering chips. Months of looking hard for Jack Detroit chips only to run across sale posts of murdered JD 5s and murdered hundreds that just sit in the classifieds. I'm a purists :)

Thanks for the response. Great topic.

I would try the over label first. And if I didn't get very good results and created a lot of spinners, I think I would then have the inlay removed.

Anybody who thinks they can 100% perfectly preserve a chip by labeling over the inlay is fooling themselves. Trying to rehab a labeled-over chip by pulling off the label will do the following things:
- leave a sticky gooey mess of epoxy on top of the laminate layer that protects the inlay, which will need to be removed otherwise your chips will stick together all the time; you think Bud Jones CIC suction effect is annoying? This is worse.
- some of the time, conservative estimate 3-5%, you will actually remove the protective laminate while removing the overlabel, forever altering the chip and subjecting the inlay to surface damage; good luck cleaning them ever again
well this is the first time I'm hearing this. Sounds horrific. So I'd consider murdering the SY 2s and the Paris 2s. But I'd have a hard time murdering any Jack Detroit. I love every chip and it's sad to see batches of hundreds and fives murdered when new players are coming into the collecting for the first time and want the originals. I'm not proposing an alternative. It's still sad tho. Especially when right now there's 120 JD 5s just sitting in the classifieds for $500 and no one's touched them. That's hard core dedication for those of us waiting on a mint rack of 5s. I guess if you were going to keep them forever like me... I may murder the Paris and SY now that there's a shadow of doubt I might struggle with spinners or sticky chips. Thx.

well this is the first time I'm hearing this. Sounds horrific. So I'd consider murdering the SY 2s and the Paris 2s. But I'd have a hard time murdering any Jack Detroit. I love every chip and it's sad to see batches of hundreds and fives murdered when new players are coming into the collecting for the first time and want the originals. I'm not proposing an alternative. It's still sad tho. Especially when right now there's 120 JD 5s just sitting in the classifieds for $500 and no one's touched them. That's hard core dedication for those of us waiting on a mint rack of 5s. I guess if you were going to keep them forever like me... I may murder the Paris and SY now that there's a shadow of doubt I might struggle with spinners or sticky chips. Thx.

I only speak from experience. They say good judgment comes from experience. And experience comes from bad judgment. I've got enough of that last part from my own attempts at chip customization.

I have very little experience removing overlables. However I have removed a couple hundred of Gear overlabels & they came off very easy & left little to no residue at all. When it did leave a tiny bit it rolled right off with a little finger friction. All inlays looked brand new afterwards. I would imagine not all overlabels are created equally. (For the record the Gear labels looked amazing & the color match was spot on. Definitely gonna use his services when the time comes)
Resized_20230218_220337.jpeg

......I would try the over label first. And if I didn't get very good results and created a lot of spinners, I think I would then have the inlay removed.
Good concept, but how practical is this?

If your just trying to see how it looks and don't actually plan on using the chips then the overlabel idea is great, but there are major drawbacks on durability and spinners too.

..... it's sad to see batches of hundreds and fives murdered when new players are coming into the collecting for the first time and want the originals. .....
I'm not losing any sleep murdering chips that are out there in the tens of thousands, like everything that has come from Jim, but I do get what you are saying

..... Especially when right now there's 120 JD 5s just sitting in the classifieds for $500 and no one's touched them. .....

This is the drawback to murdering chips. It is a permanent thing and there are less people looking for, let's say a murdered JD $100 than an original JD $100.

I have very little experience removing overlables. However I have removed a couple hundred of Gear overlabels & they came off very easy & left little to no residue at all. When it did leave a tiny bit it rolled right off with a little finger friction. All inlays looked brand new afterwards. I would imagine not all overlabels are created equally. (For the record the Gear labels looked amazing & the color match was spot on......
Most of the time the labels can be removed without too much issue, but not ALL the time. Occasionally you will pull off the original laminate and occasionally you'll get a sticky mess.

My take on this whole thing is to go with the overlabel route only if you are going for a temporary thing. If you are planning on keeping the chips and using them, then you should go the murder route.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom