mulling over the next chip set design (1 Viewer)

Silver_Fiend

Flush
Reaction score
I welcome all thoughts, musings, critiques, and insults about this idea!

While researching and playing with chip designs, I have shifted my thinking away from clays and towards ceramics. I came up with a design idea and it seems like it should work a lot better as a custom print rather than an inlay. I am pondering the concept of an old west theme. My moniker around the webs always has something to do with silver, I love old coins, and live in Oklahoma. Putting those together I came up with a "Silver Dollar Saloon" theme. Plus there is a very real Silver Dollar Saloon I like to visit in Leadville.
Anyway, my thought is to have a 2 faced chip (heads and tails), with the face being a common design, apart from the denom added. The reverse would be from actual coins with mods. Replacing "U S of A" with "Silver Dollar Saloon", plus maybe some other tweeks to designs. The print would be a drawn version of each coin instead of an actual image so that its cleaner, clearer and easier to adjust. Since colors are important, especially in stacks, I was thinking a thin border of colors and design either carried across the rolling edge, or possibly color/denom/pips around the edge. I made some mockups to get a feel for it, although I had to use what I could find on the googles, so please ignore the colors or the fact that they are sluggos. One good thing about the concept is that I can match coins to chips for whatever denom structure I like (5c/25c/$1/$5/$20 or 10c/50c/$2.5/$10/ either $20 or $50)

silver saloon chip.pngnickel chip.pngdime chip.pngquarter chip.pngdollar chip.png5dol chip.pngtwenty dol chip.png

I'm still not sure whether this concept is going to go as a cash or tourny set, but my concept for the larger denoms would be plaques (although those things are damn $$$) It works perfectly into my concept that historical bills were actually "silver certificates" (100, 500 & 1000) redeemable for silver dollars.

plaque 100 fill.pngplaque 500 fill.pngplaque 1000 fill.png

If I end up going this route as tourny chips, I'll probably have someone take existing gold certificates and mod them into $5000 and $20,000 values.

Just remember, it's very difficult to dye sub print something that remotely looks metallic. You'll have to settle with whatever ends up being "close enough".
Thats a good point, but I dont want them to look metal. They will be drawn versions, I havent taken the time yet to rotoscope the pics.

Since colors are important, especially in stacks...
Not just stacks but splashed pots also. With so little colour showing on the face of your chips, coupled with a face design that is similar to each other on one side and nearly identical on the other, this will make it harder to ascertain the value of the pot.

Not just stacks but splashed pots also. With so little colour showing on the face of your chips, coupled with a face design that is similar to each other on one side and nearly identical on the other, this will make it harder to ascertain the value of the pot.
I'll keep that in mind as I continue through the design revisions!

Thats a good point, but I dont want them to look metal. They will be drawn versions, I havent taken the time yet to rotoscope the pics.
I’m having a hard time ignoring the metal look and envisioning the drawn versions. I think you need to at least get that step of the mock-ups out of the way before anyone can offer much help.

I’m having a hard time ignoring the metal look and envisioning the drawn versions. I think you need to at least get that step of the mock-ups out of the way before anyone can offer much help.
OK, something like this (from my YT logos), except the words would obviously be different.

Silver Fiend clear.gif

This is my old logo mocked onto one of the crap chips. this was fast and dirty, so sizing and position not perfect

TSF chip mock.png

The outline art looks pretty nice, actually. Would love to see how you plan to flesh it out with colours and stuff.

But, as a non-American, I think I'm missing out on the "Old West" theme of the currency. Were these coins minted in the mid 1800's?

The outline art looks pretty nice, actually. Would love to see how you plan to flesh it out with colours and stuff.

But, as a non-American, I think I'm missing out on the "Old West" theme of the currency. Were these coins minted in the mid 1800's?
The coin designs I chose span from mid 1800s through early 1900s. I'm not set on the nickel (buffalo). Its the "newest" design but it kept with the animal reverse them. I may switch that one to the "V" nickel design from the 1800s also. The dime is sans-animal so a "V" nickel would work. I thought of the idea of coin imaged chips since the frontier towns wouldnt likely have chips on the poker table and would have used cash instead.

The chip colors will follow the Vegas color themes, but the actual patterning is yet to be determined. Heck, I'm not even married to the face design, this is just the initial concept. Guaranteed to change about 100 times before this is finalized.

Are those silver dollars actually incased in a poker chip, or is that just a mock-up?
I am looking to make some chips with coin inlays myself, who makes the coin casing chips please? Can you choose the sizing?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom