Moving Canada to USA limited to 5000rds, what ammunition to bring? (1 Viewer)

philhut

Flush
Reaction score
Like the title says I will be moving to the USA but I can only bring 5000 rounds with me and will likely be selling the rest of my horde off. For the experts in the USA what should I bring with me when it comes to Cost and Availability? I plan to bring firearms chambered in 9mm, 38/357, 7.62x39,223rem,308win,30/30win. I only plan on bringing hunting rounds for 7.62x39, and 308win with some fancy hollow points for 9mm and 38/357. What should I focus on brining with me? I have nice quality brass rounds in 223 and 308 from Lake City and a bunch of everything else. I am assuming I can buy 22lr and 12ga ammo down in New Mexico. Advice from the American audience would be much appreciated on what I should bring as a starting off pile from what I need to shrink here. I'd prefer to bring the more valuable stuff with me. I could bring 45auto, 30-06, 30-30, 8mm, 7.62x54r but plan to sell all of those rounds here before I go I think. Anyone with advice on whether it would be worth it to find an importer or apply for a importer license to bring more in I have thousands of rounds of 9mm etc... that will have to be sold otherwise.

Congratulations on the move! 12 gauge is always in stock even during Covid and the recession. 22lr was hard to find during the Obama years and pretty much everything was out of stock for Covid. No it’s somewhat back to normal but I’d probably leave the shotgun ammo behind just because it’s so widely available.

Congrats on the move. I would bring a little of everything, but mostly the more expensive and harder to find rounds. For me, that would be the more expensive rifle rounds. Lake City is great stuff, and can be hard to find. The great thing about the US, is that you can order ammo over the internet in most states.

.22lr, 9mm, 45ACP, .308 etc can almost always be found… unless there is a run on ammo.

Congrats on the move. I would bring a little of everything, but mostly the more expensive and harder to find rounds. For me, that would be the more expensive rifle rounds. Lake City is great stuff, and can be hard to find. The great thing about the US, is that you can order ammo over the internet in most states.

.22lr, 9mm, 45ACP, .308 etc can almost always be found… unless there is a run on ammo.
It looks like it has to be shipping to another store however? how many add on fee's to folks tend to pay in the system where items are ordered and shipped to a FFL dealer? In Canada ammo and firearms can be shipped right to our houses.

I have to leave my surplus behind which is a total bummer.....
TeCk9DI.jpg

It looks like it has to be shipping to another store however? how many add on fee's to folks tend to pay in the system where items are ordered and shipped to a FFL dealer? In Canada ammo and firearms can be shipped right to our houses.
Depends on where you move too. Different states have different laws.

357/38 are both still pretty scarce. The rest of the most popular calibers are coming back to normal. Check out a search site like ammoseek.com to see what's out there. No idea about NM law, but ammo ships to my house in OH. (Guns not so much, but ammo and parts are fine)

Seems like an arbitrage question. I’d suggest looking at US ammo costs on sites like bulkammo and then compare to what you can sell for in Canada. Some of the spreads might be different than you expect. Obviously, if you can sell for more than you can buy then sell away and just buy when you get here. Most states allow you to have ammo shipped to your home. Not sure about NM but I’d be shocked if that was not the case there. I am expecting prices to drop in the next year for most stuff.

I would say bring the rare stuff, and whatever you like to shoot the most. Personally, I would bring the 7.62x39,223 you can like off load that for a profit if you wanted to.

You can buy anything you need here, just a couple hours from you. NRA stocked, buy it and shoot it there.
If you really like to shoot that is. Let us know if your doing any house hunting trips and maybe we can show you around some

https://www.nrawc.org/

Bring 5,000 rounds of 50. Beowulf... you should sell that here and pay for your house! Lol

Personally I would never let my 308 ammo go if you have good brass. Maybe just me but can usually find 556, 22 LR was a total pain in the butt for a while. Any full fragmented or home defense stuff I would bring (like Glasser rounds)basically specialty ammo. Definitely any hunting rifle rounds (typically much higher value but then again some of those are still available and sounds like tings are bouncing back now)

Typically forced to sell means sell for a loss, I would bring the stuff with higher values myself...

Or leave it all, take a job in MD, move in next door and I got you covered bro!! Lmao

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom