Moving away from 1/4" closed cell foam (1 Viewer)

T_Chan

Full House
Site Vendor
Reaction score
We are moving away from using 1/4" closed cell foam for the playing surfaces of our tables. The feedback we've received has initiated the change, along with supply issues.

1/4" closed cell foam works great, however the fact that it leaves impressions / dents when something heavy is left on it is a major downside. Some people also complain that it's too firm.

We will be changing over to 1/4" HD open cell foam instead.

There's a bit of 1/4" closed cell in stock which we're going to use up, then switch to open cell when it's depleted. If you have an order in the works and want to change to open cell early, please let me know and I'll make a note of it.

@T_Chan who manufactures the closed cell foam you have been using? I used 3/8” elastomeric closed cell rubber on my main table and have never had issues with heavy objects leaving a dent and it the extra 1/8” is perfect for the amount of give to shuffle and pick up cards.

The padding thickness was the one complaint a few of my players had about the table I bought from you.

My company sells elastomeric rubber and we have branches in the the Pacific NW that I can get you contact with if you are interested in checking it as an option.

Last edited:
I’ve always had issues with volara foam. I know now after getting burned once but everyone wants to set things on the surface and you have to constantly correct them. It would be sad if one of those nice tables got messed up because the buyer didn’t know and left something heavy on there overnight or worse a friend or family member. I think it’s a good decision.

Last edited:
Will the use of open cell foam have an effect on spill resistance?
I think protection against spills as the justification for using closed cell foam is overkill. In nearly 20 years of hosting, I have never had a drink spilled on a table. I prefer open cell foam which provides for a softer playing surface and no worries about impressions from heavy objects.

I have used the 1/4" closed cell and I have left heavy things on it many times, yeah it gets a dent but a few hours of no weight and I've never had one not go back to normal. I don't say this to call into question your decision, just wondering if there is some foam out there that won't relax back to normal/flat condition.

First time it happened I leaned my table up against the door handle of a car in my garage "for only a minute", only a minute turned into overnight when I forgot about it. When I eventually moved it away from the car a fat, deep trench of a dent about the size of a 66' mustang door handle was smack in the middle of my felt. Was so pissed I had ruined it until I looked at it an hour or so later and you couldn't tell where it was. Since then I've left full 1000 count birdcages on it and leaned it against that same door handle in the garage and they just pop back eventually.

I have used the 1/4" closed cell and I have left heavy things on it many times, yeah it gets a dent but a few hours of no weight and I've never had one not go back to normal. I don't say this to call into question your decision, just wondering if there is some foam out there that won't relax back to normal/flat condition.

First time it happened I leaned my table up against the door handle of a car in my garage "for only a minute", only a minute turned into overnight when I forgot about it. When I eventually moved it away from the car a fat, deep trench of a dent about the size of a 66' mustang door handle was smack in the middle of my felt. Was so pissed I had ruined it until I looked at it an hour or so later and you couldn't tell where it was. Since then I've left full 1000 count birdcages on it and leaned it against that same door handle in the garage and they just pop back eventually.

Volara (2EO or A) will definitely hold an indentation, to the point where if it's wrapped/packaged/rolled the wrong way, it'll arrive ruined

Volara (2EO or A) will definitely hold an indentation, to the point where if it's wrapped/packaged/rolled the wrong way, it'll arrive ruined

Good to know. I ordered enough for three tables from YourAutoTrim, not sure what kind it is but I remember it expand beautifully and I've never had a problem with it. Glad I got lucky because like I say, that first time seeing the big ass dent in the middle of it I was irate at myself, got away with it though.

I think protection against spills as the justification for using closed cell foam is overkill. In nearly 20 years of hosting, I have never had a drink spilled on a table. I prefer open cell foam which provides for a softer playing surface and no worries about impressions from heavy objects.
Your players clearly aren't as sloppy as mine then. :(

My tables don't have cupholders, and I provide side tables, yet I've had a number of beverage spills over the years.

@T_Chan who manufactures the closed cell foam you have been using? I used 3/8” elastomeric closed cell rubber on my main table and have never had issues with heavy objects leaving a dent and it the extra 1/8” is perfect for the amount of give to shuffle and pick up cards.

The padding thickness was the one complaint a few of my players had about the table I bought from you.

My company sells elastomeric rubber and we have branches in the the Pacific NW that I can get you contact with if you are interested in checking it as an option.

I don't know the company that manufactures it, but my current supplier can't get it anymore. I'll send you a PM as I'm very interested in that option.

Does this affect my current build Tony?

I have no baseline knowledge of what is better or not. Just saw this thread..

Does this affect my current build Tony?

I have no baseline knowledge of what is better or not. Just saw this thread..

Nope, your table is all good. You'll be getting close cell still unless you want to switch.

I doubt it then. I love the table I got now. It's well used and still plays nicely. Haven't spilled on it or seen deformation. I've left a loaded birdcage on it by mistake...a whole load of chips...for 24hrs...no issue.

I went down the rabbit hole researching foam after reading this thread and stumbled on a very detailed post on foam by @Irish on another forum here.

After reading through that, I'm curious about 2 things @T_Chan :

1. Cushion

I'm guessing the thickness of the foam used still prevents the user feeling the wood underneath? I would hate to be able to feel that at all.

2. Chip stackability

How, if at all, is this affected? I've played on some tables where the chips simply could not be stacked more than 10 high without wobbling and falling over and it sucked! Have you done any tests comparing the closed cell to the open cell one?

Good questions. For cushion, you still get a good amount of cushion between the felt and the plywood. It would not describe it as not enough cushion, but not as much as closed cell which is more dense.

Chips will still stack high. Open cell foam is not a vast difference from closed cell. It's the same thickness, but has a little more give. You'll be able to stack chips plenty high. If we were changing over to 1/2" foam, then that's a different story.

I definitely prefer open cell which I had on my first table. I never had any issues and it was much easier to pick cards up from.

@T_Chan

Out of curiosity and for my own education..

What did you build my present "DBZ" table with? Just so I know what I have...lol

The dragonball table has 1/4" closed cell which is the material I'm phasing out.

I have a 1/4" open cell with Speed cloth on it. Like Irish mentioned 99% of spills are handled by the cloth. I did have a couple of bad ones (1/2 beer) that may have penetrated, but I ended up using a wet vac and all is well.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom