Most annoying things your guests say or request at your home game? (1 Viewer)

Yes I got that one too, but as I tell the better players who get all flustered, "Don't discourage [the lucky donk]. In the long-run that approach to poker is severely -EV."

1. As mentioned previously I think..."Is it to me?" For the love of God it's not rocket science.
2. Any notion or reaction to the hand if you are not involved in it drives me shit house. I have a rule that if you talk about or react to a hand that you are not involved in, you are subject to fist on arm punishment every time. This of course doesn't work when women are involved.

I can't stand the "verbal freeroll".

"I'm pretty sure you have me beat."
(calls anyway)
"I knew you had me beat"

I'm sure to be be equally annoying and toss in an "...and that's why you called, right?".

Beyond the oft-quoted obvious idiocies here, one of our players utters this phrase at least a half-dozen times per session when facing a bet/raise:

"....okay, but I know I'm folding the best hand." as he mucks his cards. Usually takes about a minute to do so every time, too.

Well bud, if that's really true, then you're a total idiot. But thanks for playing!

Beyond the oft-quoted obvious idiocies here, one of our players utters this phrase at least a half-dozen times per session when facing a bet/raise:

"....okay, but I know I'm folding the best hand." as he mucks his cards. Usually takes about a minute to do so every time, too.

Well bud, if that's really true, then you're a total idiot. But thanks for playing!

My mind instantly translates this phrase to,

"I don't have the balls to play with you, but I'm going to make a hollow threat in the hopes it slows you down the next time."

This is a favorite phrase from the type of player who likes to grab a stack of chips and glare down the table menacingly at you when you start counting out a bet from early position. Which usually instigates me to increase my initial bet by about 30%.

I play in a regular monthly tourney with cash game following...same 10 guys play for the last 7 years. Yet, 1 or 2 people frequently ask..."Hey, can anyone spot me $20 because I didn't bring enough $$$ to play cash!"

@%#%$! Really? We have played on the 1st Friday of each month for 84 months now & you still don't realize that you need to bring at least $50 if you want to play the tourney AND cash game? Makes me go insane every time it occurs!

P.S. Oh, and the best part? 1 of these 2 players makes $150k a year. So, WTH?

"All in" and "Call"

It's impossible to bluff the donkeys at the sanctuary

I don't talk to anyone except the player I'm heads up against. I may fish for some info and this sometimes irritates the player. But the one I hate is "why do you have so many chips?"

STFU!!!!

here my hit list:

-Can we not use 4 colored cards? I: NO / Other: But you play online also 4 colored

-there's a good average player (better the most other players) in my home games but he's super nitty sometime and open folds AQs in the BB with 7BB left when SB pushes with 6BB (wider pushing range) and expect me to tell him that it was a great lay down. But it isnt, so I tell him that. And he gets angry... LOL (dont ask, if you dont like the answer)

-the nitty player from nr. 2 when he gets suck out: I play for fun and I can lose at poker (nothing to say about that) but repeats that around 50 times so everyone knows that he's pissed and very angry

-I couldn't fold mit top pair (but board shows 4 hearts and other players is a tight one)

-After I take a tourney down. Some players: we are just here to support "pinball" with our money! (we play tourneys every 1st friday/months with a buy in of 5$ 8 players and the first 3 get paid LMAO)

Nice thread... here are some of mine:

Why don't you have any diet beverages? (I do, it's called water)
I can't make the next poker date, can we change it? (We can if you host it)
Can we have xyz food item instead? (Sure, just bring it next time you show up)
Where's my 50 cent change? (Really??)

Why don't you have any diet beverages? (I do, it's called water)

As a host, I always have a diet soda option for my guys. As a player, I greatly appreciate a host who does the same.

That said, I will shut up and drink water (or bring my own) if it's not offered.

Maybe it's just me, but if a host says I will have soda, beer, food, etc. then I expect soda, beer, food, etc. but if they don't all I expect are cards, chips, and a table.

I was at Trihonda's game Saturday night. Some of the players had a prop bet on who was going to knock him out of the tourney. Then they paid off the bet right there in front of him ala Trading Places.
Granted, I am new to their home game group, but I consider that hitting below the belt.

I take the prop bet thing as good natured ribbing, as long as it's coming from friends, which I expect it was. I think just all the other drama TriHonda was dealing with turned what could've been a non-issue into an additional source of frustration for him.

Yeah I think I might have found the prop bet funny personally. If two guys want to have a prop bet to come after me...bring it!

I take the prop bet thing as good natured ribbing, as long as it's coming from friends, which I expect it was. I think just all the other drama TriHonda was dealing with turned what could've been a non-issue into an additional source of frustration for him.

Glad to hear.

Some readers may not realize it, but I usually have a standing cash bounty on gnu's head in the PCF Monday Night NLHE Tournament. I'm pretty sure he doesn't take offense or feel like I'm gunning for him, and I certainly don't harbor any ill will towards the ungodly-lucky little Jewish leprechaun. It's all in good fun.

Glad to hear.

Some readers may not realize it, but I usually have a standing cash bounty on gnu's head in the PCF Monday Night NLHE Tournament. I'm pretty sure he doesn't take offense or feel like I'm gunning for him, and I certainly don't harbor any ill will towards the ungodly-lucky little Jewish leprechaun. It's all in good fun.

Lol, I take pride in bounties on my head :D

Yeah, this is one of those things that can be a lot of fun or way out of line. It's extremely situational. I'm one of those people who would enjoy it and even encourage it most of the time. On a bad day, though, I can see myself getting a little miffed (then embarrassed that I was mad about something that was obviously done in good fun).

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom