Morel Mushrooms and other exotic snacks (1 Viewer)

The simple things in life brother!! The spread looks fantastic!! Also suddenly I find myself thirsty! Outdoor sound system for some tunes or just relaxing?

I was listening to some music. Colleen and i don't have the same tastes i'll be turning it off.

Screenshot_20200426-143540_SiriusXM.jpg

Love mushroom picking! Never had the pleasure of finding morels, as they are pretty rare around here, but I have heard they are great food. Look forward to finding chantarelles and porcini and many others in late summer and autumn!

Love mushroom picking! Never had the pleasure of finding morels, as they are pretty rare around here, but I have heard they are great food. Look forward to finding chantarelles and porcini and many others in late summer and autumn!
Ooohh do post pics!

I eat cordecyps + lions mane. Supposed to make you big brain.

Ooohh do post pics!

Here's a few from last year's hunts just from a quick look through my phone. I don't know all the English names (or Latin), but Google translated some names for me. maybe you know some of these?

Found these two white ones on the same trip almost right next to each other one day.
Left one is edible. Right one is deadly poisonous.
Left is a champignon mushroom and the right is an amanita virosa. (destroying angel is the english name according to Google)
IMG_20190826_161551.jpg

Some boletus edulis. Had a lot of them two years ago. Hope we get the same amount this year!
IMG_20180828_200212.jpg

Some boletus edulis and some others getting ready to be eaten
IMG_20180821_230920.jpg

And some more. I'm getting hungry looking at these pictures.
IMG_20180825_180722.jpg

Mushroom risotto is a dinner we make quite often in autumn!
IMG_20180822_184740_1.jpg

Morel hunting is big in eastern Kansas and Missouri. People are serious enough about it that they keep their hunting spots secret. I'm originally from north central Kansas and had never heard of it until I moved to KC area 20 yrs ago

Here's a few from last year's hunts just from a quick look through my phone. I don't know all the English names (or Latin), but Google translated some names for me. maybe you know some of these?

Found these two white ones on the same trip almost right next to each other one day.
Left one is edible. Right one is deadly poisonous.
Left is a champignon mushroom and the right is an amanita virosa. (destroying angel is the english name according to Google)
View attachment 447739

Some boletus edulis. Had a lot of them two years ago. Hope we get the same amount this year!
View attachment 447745

Some boletus edulis and some others getting ready to be eaten
View attachment 447740

And some more. I'm getting hungry looking at these pictures.
View attachment 447741

Mushroom risotto is a dinner we make quite often in autumn!
View attachment 447746
Oh wow that's a bunch of them! And they look great! I never would have thought to make risotto, that looks fantastic! I'm glad you identified the poisonous ones and didnt eat those! Definitely can't wait to see what you find this year! I hope we are able to gain more knowledge here and find multiple varieties local to us that are safe to eat as well!

You 2 effers need different avatars....you guys are in too many threads together

Any chance he happens to live in the Ozarks....
I'm sure you should be able to reserch native to Hawaii mushrooms and see if they are edible... or find a red neck neighbor like Ben cook them up... offer his a refreshing beer and pass the bowl of fried mushrooms... then wait for results! Lmao

Oh wow that's a bunch of them! And they look great! I never would have thought to make risotto, that looks fantastic! I'm glad you identified the poisonous ones and didnt eat those! Definitely can't wait to see what you find this year! I hope we are able to gain more knowledge here and find multiple varieties local to us that are safe to eat as well!

Yeah it has taken some years of learning to be confident enough to know which ones are edible and poisonous. A couple of good books, and a few friends/grandma's with a lot of knowledge helps a lot. And time. I try to learn a few new types every year. There's obviously a bunch of them I don't know yet, and I'll happily walk past them. Been looking for morels for a few years, but the closest I've been is a poisonous "double ganger". Maybe this year? Enjoy the ride, have fun learning. It's a fun hobby (and delicious obviously!)

Yeah it has taken some years of learning to be confident enough to know which ones are edible and poisonous. A couple of good books, and a few friends/grandma's with a lot of knowledge helps a lot. And time. I try to learn a few new types every year. There's obviously a bunch of them I don't know yet, and I'll happily walk past them. Been looking for morels for a few years, but the closest I've been is a poisonous "double ganger". Maybe this year? Enjoy the ride, have fun learning. It's a fun hobby (and delicious obviously!)
Love the friends/grandmas part! Lol thanks were looking forward to the new hobby for sure! I did read about the morel look alike, they're fibrous inside instead of hollow. Hopeful you find some this year!

Love shrooms! I buy the usual offerings from the supermarket, portabellas and white buttons, but when I see other varieties on the menu of a reputable restaurant, I order them without hesitation.
Portabellas a favorite in our home. I'd like to know how the shiitakes are though, reviews?

Portabellas a favorite in our home. I'd like to know how the shiitakes are though, reviews?
Shiitakes are fantastic, very flavorful! I've had them in East Asian food. They can be purchased fresh or dried.

Two of my favorite dishes are shrimp or soft tofu with copious amounts of shiitakes in a white wine and garlic sauce.

Shiitakes are fantastic, very flavorful! I've had them in East Asian food. They can be purchased fresh or dried.

Two of my favorite dishes are shrimp or soft tofu with copious amounts of shiitakes in a white wine and garlic sauce.
Awesome! That's great to know, and we love shrimp!

I love mushroom hunting. I got a massive haul of morels on a camping trip last year in Montana in the Missouri River breaks area. I'll try to find some pictures but it was the most morels I have ever seen. If anyone is in that area I can drop some GPS coordinates!
It's already been said but make sure you are 100% confident about what you have before eating. "All that Rain Promises" is a great small guide that fits in your back pocket to help with IDs.
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once" -Terry Pratchett. That amanita virosa pictured above will shutdown your liver and kill you within a day without a hospital.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom