Month-long diet prop bet: emergency food bars, pill/powder supplements, and H2O (1 Viewer)

How much would you need to have on the line to stick to the below-described terms for 30 days?

• Hell, I'd do it for nothing - ordering now

• $1-499

• $500-999

• $1k-1,999

• $2k-2,999

• $3k-4,999

• $5k-9,000

• $10k-14,999

• $15k-24,999

• $25k+

Results are only viewable after voting.
Reaction score
A group of my friends are in the process of negotiating a prop bet. Terms are that from any given 6am-6am period during 30 days, the bettor can consumer no more than the following:

- 3 emergency food bars (link - nutritional info below);
- water, any amount;
- nutritional supplements in pill or powder form, any amount (powder may be mixed with water only).

We're in the middle of a reverse auction right now with people bidding down. Nothing has been booked, but discussions continue. I know my floor for interest. When we hit that number I'll no longer be interested in being the dieter and will switch over and bet that the dieter can't do it for the provided amount.

We began discussing it as a year-long bet, but the amount necessary to motivate anyone for the full year was high enough that it would have made escrow difficult.

So how much would you need to book this bet? Assume for the purpose of the thread that verification of adherence to terms is not an issue.

V93UUDD.png

I might do it for as little as $100 per day. More for the fact that I could really stand to lose 20 pounds.

1200 calories a day? Can you consume calories in the water supplements? Doesn't sound very healthy

People can't imagine how little sustenance come in three bars. 400 calories x 3 = 1,200 calories. That is enough to feed a 100 pound person who isn't overly active. This will be borderline starvation for most folks.

There could easily be medical issues. This shouldn't be done without supervision from your doctor.

I'd need a vast amount of money. Maybe eight figures to consider this. And then what happens if I lose? Not for me. I doubt many first world men could handle this for a month on will power alone.

Sounds like a sucker bet to me -=- DrStrange

PS Maybe get put in county jail during a fiscal crisis. Pay off the sheriff to only feed you this and hope you don't die from it?

This does not sound healthy at all. I don't think I'd do this for any amount honestly (despite me needing to lose some weight). Is it a "weight loss" challenge or is it a "just survive the allotted time" challenge?

Wow, I think people are underestimating a 1200 calorie a day diet.

For just 30 days? I’m good to do it at around 3k. Really would just depend on timing.

If my wife is traveling, easy peasy, feed the kids and grab a bar. If it’s during a travel season or something similar, I’d need more money to consider it. But yeah 3-5k, get it done somewhat easy and collect my check.

A group of my friends are in the process of negotiating a prop bet. Terms are that from any given 6am-6am period during 30 days, the bettor can consumer no more than the following:

Is this supposed to read 6 AM to 6 PM?

I am just trying to understand the terms. Is the bet just that you can't eat any real food all day but then you can at night?

Or is the bet that you need to live off the prescribed items only for the whole 30 days?

I am just trying to understand the terms. Is the bet just that you can't eat any real food all day but then you can at night?

Or is the bet that you need to live off the prescribed items only for the whole 30 days?
I think the 6-6 thing is just to make sure you don't consume more than 3 bars in any 24 hour period.

Ding ding ding

1200 cal/day

I’m out at any practical cost for something like this....unless y’all let me count whey protein powder as nutritional supplement. Then $10000

I like the reverse auction aspect of it :)

So if you "win" the auction, then you're the dieter. And if you fail...you don't *win* the money. But do you lose your own money too?

I like the reverse auction aspect of it :)

So if you "win" the auction, then you're the dieter. And if you fail...you don't *win* the money. But do you lose your own money too?

We've yet to reach the low number, so not yet decided who will be betting against the dieter, but I guess that's one aspect of the whole thing. We're well below my number at this point (happening in text thread so moving quickly - number cut in half since I posted this thread) so I'm just waiting to see where we get and who wants to pitch in against the dieter.

Soooooo what was the floor amount for doing it for a year? And what's your basement price for being the dieter for a month?

Lowest anyone would consider for a year was $500k and even that was tenuous. My personal number for a month was $10k.

Wow, I think people are underestimating a 1200 calorie a day diet.

This. 1200 calories a day is cake. Not saying you'd want to live permanently on that intake, but it's an insane western perspective that 1200 calories a day for a month is somehow cause for grave concern. We had a clause in the year-long discussions that whoever took it had to be physician-monitored. Absolutely no concern for someone doing this for a month unless they have pre-existing conditions.

I think the 6-6 thing is just to make sure you don't consume more than 3 bars in any 24 hour period.

Oh okay I get it. In that case I wouldn't be interested in being the dieter. I agree that perhaps people don't fully realize how little 1,200 calories per day is. You would be absolutely starving come day 3 or 4. I also have some concerns about possible health issues arising for the dieter through this process.

Sounds like a fun bet though and I would love to be the one laughing on the sidelines.

Lol @ first world problems.

"How much financial incentive would you need to survive a month on 3 protein bars, unlimited water, and nutritional pills/extracts?"

Pokerchipforum: "Meh, I can't do that"

12 year old me: "Can of coke and a pack of pokemon cards."

I'm not suggesting that the calories are too low, although they are really low. I'm suggesting that what is being ingested is not appropriate. If I was allowed to eat actual food and keep under 1200 cals I'd probably be okay with it.

I could last a month of 1200 calories/day for $10K. But not with those bars. The nutritional value of them are shit in my opinion. No where near enough protein. So no thank you unless the nutritional supplements include protein shakes, which I assume they don't.

So....
7b0c889a7e5a7abc71ee2554dc331df8.png

I'm not suggesting that the calories are too low, although they are really low. I'm suggesting that what is being ingested is not appropriate. If I was allowed to eat actual food and keep under 1200 cals I'd probably be okay with it.

Yeah totally agree with this. If it was like you could eat some meat and some fruit/veggies but stay below 1,200 that would be way more reasonable.

You need to better-define "nutritional supplements in pill or powder form" Do you mean only vitamins? Or are protein powders acceptable? Makes a huge difference and is too vague.

Wow, ok. If you're allowing protein powder in ANY amount, then there's no challenge. That's unlimited calories and protein.

Most humans like food with taste. You should go suggest this bet to someone because the person you'll be talking to will most likely be human and will mistakenly assume you are also and you'll get an amazing price.

ETA: Start with some of the people above in this thread. They'll know your secret already, but they look like they like to gamble.

Most humans like food with taste. You should go suggest this bet to someone because the person you'll be talking to will most likely be human and will mistakenly assume you are also and you'll get an amazing price.

ETA: Start with some of the people above in this thread. They'll know your secret already, but they look like they like to gamble.
Just saying it wouldn't be much of a challenge for 30 days. Kind of an annoyance, but that's about it. Maybe I'm underestimating how hard it would be. Idk. I think it would be a legit tough challenge with 3 bars, vitamin pills, and water.

Snap. Yeah with protein powder, this becomes a lot less about will power and hunger/uncomfortability for a lot of people. Add that in, and I don't even have to lead a somewhat sedentary lifestyle for the month.

It's unhealthy, but I can't even count how many months I've had where I've gained or loss 20ish to 30lbs. Lol this could literally just be a month back from vacation where I need to lose 20.

Just saying it wouldn't be much of a challenge for 30 days. Kind of an annoyance, but that's about it. Maybe I'm underestimating how hard it would be. Idk. I think it would be a legit tough challenge with 3 bars, vitamin pills, and water.
Different outlook for different folks though. When we're talking about people only doing this for 3-5k+, it's generally gonna be some older folks who aren't hard up for money. Seems more for something fun to pass the time with, and of course harass the guy doing it with cookouts and steaks everyday.

With the protein, I'd do it for 2k if it was timed right. My wife would not deal with me not eating with the family and put the kibosh on this shit real early though.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom