Monroe St. Card Room - First Design (1 Viewer)

There's a lot of wisdom in @Irish's comment, re, the front the denomination -- it's not clear if it should be centered or right justified.

I have a preference for it being centered, but I can see his point. If it's centered, it would be nice to have a visual cue to show that the denomination is centered on something. I was playing around with a few options (the first row shows the current draft).

Not sure if any one of these makes sense, or if there is another option out there. The second row is the best (of the versions with elements) -- the others don't look as nice as the original. But I'm not convinced it should be changed.

front-5.png
front-100.png

front-5-ribbon.png
front-100-ribbon.png

front-5-side.png
front-100-side.png

front-5-ribbonv1-red.png
front-100-ribbonv1-red.png

front-5-ribbonv2-red.png
front-100-ribbonv2-red.png

Last edited:
I like the one on the left but the Red value in the white banner at an angle (4th) is my fav. Also has continuity with the banner on the flip side.

I'd go with the one on the left.
I like the one on the left but the Red value in the white banner at an angle (4th) is my fav. Also has continuity with the banner on the flip side.

My son liked the 4th row as well. Hmm... Time for some thinking.

front-1.png
front-5.png
front-25.png
front-100.png

front1-alt.png
front5-alt.png
front25-alt.png
front100-alt.png

EDIT: My main concern is I'm going to have to ask my wife to break the tie. She is not aware yet that we're designing custom chips together. Yikes! I guess she'll find out on my Monday when my shipment of THC solids from B.C., Canada arrives.

Last edited:
The last four are the best Design so far.

Thanks for the kind words. It's my son's favorite. I think I'll be fine with either. I'm going to print samples to see if one or the other works better in printed form.

EDIT:

My son is pretty zen about the debate. He said, "Why should we worry about what others think?" He then later remarked how he wished he had an account on PCF so he could comment on the chips.

Last edited:
You have a lot of very nice looking choices, and I like your Jersey Jack Design logo.

I was wondering what typeface you are using for the denomination.

Thanks.

I was wondering what typeface you are using for the denomination.

Thanks for the compliments -- appreciated. :)

The denomination font is "Superclaredon - Heavy". It was stretched vertically -- though I don't recall how much. It was one of the fonts that were installed already with Inkscape.

The other fonts (Alegreya for "Monroe St..." & Staatliches for "Hoboken NJ") are from the Google Fonts project. I used this program to install them. I am definitely not a professional (or even serious amateur) designer. I downloaded Inkscape the day I made my first post on this thread, and have been playing around since then.

Here's today's two versions. I'm going to print out tomorrow in hard copy and see how they look.

chipset draft - 9-22-19.png

That itty bit of additional space around the tower makes a noticeable difference IMHO, and makes that gap on the lower denomination inlays I mentioned in the v1 mock ups without the ribbon look much more consistent with the rest of the design, it's more balanced. Coin flip for me now v1 vs v2, leaning slightly towards the new v1 because the denom is a little larger.

Coin flip for me now v1 vs v2, leaning slightly towards the new v1 because the denom is a little larger.

That's what I'm guessing the hard copy will show -- v1 will be a bit better because of the denomination size. But, at this point, I'm pretty pleased with either.

I appreciate your time in commenting.

Today I was really pleased with the hard copy I printed--it really felt like things were coming together. Version 2 (tilted denomination on front) worked well when printed.

The adjustments I'm making at this point are very small. The dollar signs on the front side needed to be enlarged--hard to read as is--, and a bit minor tweaks.

Here's where we are right now. Will look at a hard copy again tomorrow. Thanks all!

(In other news, I got a package from Canada -- my THC solids. My wife said, "I hope these aren't chips." I told her not to look inside in that case. I haven't looked yet myself.)

draft 9-23-19.png

Last edited:
Wow, that box made it there FAST.

It made quite a journey.

September 19 - Vancouver, BC
September 20 - San Francisco, CA [traveling ~800 miles]
September 22 - Newark, NJ [traveling ~2560 miles]
September 23 - Hoboken, NJ [traveling ~9 miles]

The majority of chips were in better condition than I was expected. My son and I had fun sorting them. He's pretty excited about finishing the project. :)

I think the "no banner" front (top row) looks better than the fronts with the banner (second row).

I think the "no banner" front (top row) looks better than the fronts with the banner (second row).

When printed, the "banner" version looks pretty nice (& is my son's preference), so I'm going to continue to work on that to see if I can get it to work. I do tend to agree--though seeing it in print makes it a closer call.

At this point: (i) the "no banner" front draft is near-final (the $ sign looks much clearer now when printed); (ii) the backs are almost near-final (I want to double-check some centering on the suits); (iii) the "banner" front will be the focus--the $ sign still isn't as clear as it should be.

Current draft. I believe the back & the "no tilt" fronts are near final. Still trying to figure out if I can get the "tilt" front to work. The dollar sign is the issue right now. Here's a number of options. They're not necessarily centered, etc. but Iwanted to see how they print. Once I pick a font, I'll play around with sizing & color.

chipset-9-24-19.png

From Left to Right: (i) Russo One; (ii) Archivo; (iii) Exo; (iv) Roboto Slab & (v) Source Pro Sans. All available from the Google Fonts project. On the screen the fourth looks clearest, but a hard copy will be useful.

Last edited:
i actually like the 5th, but i can see why you would like the 4th
Thanks for the comment. I'm going to be looking very close at the hard copies. :) I'll print out some of the 5th row as well.

dollarsign-9-24-19.png

UPDATE: Roboto looks crisper in a hard copy form. Going to work on different variations (w/ adjusted sizing), and see if further improvements can be made.

Last edited:
Going to print these two versions tomorrow.

roboto-versions-9-25-19.png

UPDATE: The top row looks better in hard copy. I think a small tweak in the spacing is needed for the $5 & $25 (the $ looks too close to the number). I may also reduce the denomination back to closer to the previous day's version. With that, I think we'll have final versions. We'll put it to a family vote.

Last edited:
This should be my "near final" versions. I'm going to print hard copies tomorrow, take a few days break, make final tweaks, and then take a family vote. Thank you, everyone, for your help and thoughts.

I'll be back with a final version, and then it's off to printing.

chipset-9-26-19.png

You're doing great!

Sorry to come in so late - The inverted clock tower looks a bit strange to me. In real life I'm assuming the clock face isn't dark. Looks like the original was just inverted so it shows up.

All that matters is that you like it, but it might be worth taking another crack at it using greys to replicate the tower so that its a bit more realistic.

it might be worth taking another crack at it using greys to replicate the tower so that its a bit more realistic.

Thanks for the note. I think I understand what you're saying, but that may be out of the reach of my limited skills.

(I'm a former Saskatchewan resident. Go Riders!)

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom