Monopoly - chip breakdown (1 Viewer)

Darson

Full House
Supporter
Reaction score
My wife and I were chatting this morning and agreed that we should play more board games with the kids. So of course, I immediately started thinking about a chip replacement for the Monopoly set.

We have an old school set with a total of 240 notes giving a $15,140 bank in the following breakdown:

40x $1
40x $5
40x $10
50x $20
30x $50
20x $100
20x $500

I'm thinking of replacing it with a 200 chip set with the following breakdown:

40x $1
60x $5
40x $20
40x $100
20x $500

This gives the same bank of $15,140. Starting stack would be 5/7/3/4/2. Do you think this will work OK?

I was going to highly suggest you skip the 10s and 50s so nice to see you skipped it already lol.

I like more 20s and 100s in games than 500s. You need more chips but usually you aren’t paying for things with the largest amount anyways. (As a nice side effect you can use a cool plaque/oversized chip for the 500 then for cheaper)

How about something like ticket to ride instead of monopoly

I don't understand, TTR does not have currency...

Or... are you saying he should play better more modern games (than Monopoly) with the kids? If so, I agree with that and TTR is a great start.

My main problem is that to get the wife to play as well, it needs to be simple so anything more advanced than Monopoly is out. And anything overly competitive (like Risk) is also out. Anyway, forget about the games, what about the chippies?

It's been a while, but I seem to recall $50s being quite prevalent in Monopoly. If you are going to cut out 50s, you are going to need more 20s and 10s to make up the difference.

Of course, if it is just you and your wife, your breakdown should be fine, but for 6-8 players, there is going to be a lot of change making.

My main problem is that to get the wife to play as well, it needs to be simple so anything more advanced than Monopoly is out. And anything overly competitive (like Risk) is also out. Anyway, forget about the games, what about the chippies?

I would certainly not rank Ticket to Ride as any more complicated/advanced than Monopoly.

But I digress... Us board gamers are usually quite zealous in attempting to evangelize some of the more modern/improved games (vs the "classics" like Monopoly). Sorry about that :x

Me, wife and 2 kids so 4 max.

Why not all standard chip colors (black hundo), or all standard Monopoly colors (White 1, Tan hundo, Gold 500)?
I actually started with that but then thought "what the hell, let's make this fun". I have plenty of standard sets, Cali too, so decided to do something different.

I would go with the Monopoly colors because those are the ones that are recognizable by everyone.

I tried the other night with a kings castle set.

I did:

5 - $1
9 - $5
10 - $25
12 - $100

For $1,500 total, and it worked well three handed.

I noticed that we never have more than 40 - $100’s in play. I realized that monopoly doesn’t dig deeply into the stacks beyond the starting values.

Some time back I ordered some Paulson Elite chips for a Monopoly set that can also double as a Heads-Up poker set.

50 x 1 = 50
50 x 5 = 250
50 x 25 = 1,250
50 x 100 = 5,000
25 x 500 = 12,500

Bank = 19,000

No 20's had to use 25's but worked for a 4 person game.

I'd be interested if you can do a set off these mockups.

I was thinking ABC using their 43mm blanks - I have a sample and I like it.

I'd do around 225-250 chips which would be $1.09 each. If we can get >500 then they're 94c each and >1000 88c.

I'm not sure if Gene will do the "Monopoly" though, not sure if that's a trademark. I could change it to "Game Night" or something...

I was thinking ABC using their 43mm blanks - I have a sample and I like it.

I'd do around 225-250 chips which would be $1.09 each. If we can get >500 then they're 94c each and >1000 88c.

I'm not sure if Gene will do the "Monopoly" though, not sure if that's a trademark. I could change it to "Game Night" or something...
That’s why I suggested Sunfly. ;)

My wife and I were chatting this morning and agreed that we should play more board games with the kids. So of course, I immediately started thinking about a chip replacement for the Monopoly set.

We have an old school set with a total of 240 notes giving a $15,140 bank in the following breakdown:

40x $1
40x $5
40x $10
50x $20
30x $50
20x $100
20x $500

I'm thinking of replacing it with a 200 chip set with the following breakdown:

40x $1
60x $5
40x $20
40x $100
20x $500

This gives the same bank of $15,140. Starting stack would be 5/7/3/4/2. Do you think this will work OK?

I might be able to do a breakdown like this with some really nice mint solid THC I recently got. Easy overlabel, too. PM me if interested.

This is very cool. I might try this next time a monopoly game breaks out. Problem for me is that my wife’s family are monopoly mobsters and form cartels against me. As soon as I am bankrupt they declare victory. I hate that.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom