Modern Paulson chip construction (1 Viewer)

Colquhoun

4 of a Kind
Supporter
Reaction score
Just received my rack of current Bellagio $1s (thank you, @k9dr ) and figured I’d look at them under a 60x microscope, for kicks.
Wow, never expected all the fibers, reminds me of fiberglass or cement with fiberglass reinforcement. These chips are PACKED with these fibers, most prevalent in the edge flea bites (see below). They are even on the surface of the chip, sometimes sticking out like little hairs.
8FD7259C-5F7D-4E63-A620-264949D82D23.jpeg

16BA3E7A-8689-42A0-AA39-27F6F784D744.jpeg

33F166C1-81E2-40D8-8C22-7AB7C770C8C5.jpeg

3D6512BB-D79A-4D9F-8E10-910BE3030F78.jpeg

No idea they added these fibers, completely undetectable with the naked eye.

Doesn't really surprise me. I'm sure a good portion of the raw material naturally forms polymer fibres so that it adequately holds the chip together after being compressed so that it doesn't fly or break apart after coming out of the mold.

Interesting, and very cool!

In the early days of making plastic objects, people would mix all kinds of things into the composite (they called it a "composition" back then), including fibrous materials like cotton and wood, in an effort to create something that had the specific properties they were looking for. I'm sure that's still true today. I wonder what those fibers are?

Fibers are light weight. Perhaps connection between chip weight and % fiber use. My live Golden Nugget LV blue $1’s are on the light end of the scale at about 8.5 grams. Could explain why some new chips still weigh close to 10 grams, i.e. Mirage $1’s.

How much do the Bellagio $1’s weigh?

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom