Mixed games in home games (1 Viewer)

ChipReeseG

High Hand
Reaction score
Hey guys list your mixed games that you play at home, forgive me if there's a previous thread about this particular subject. Here are ours that we play:

No Limit Hold'em
NL Pineapple
NL Crazy Pineapple
Pot Limit Omaha
5 Card PL Omaha
PL Courchevel
NL 2-7 Single Draw KANSAS CITY LOWBALL
NL 2-7 Triple Draw KANSAS CITY LOWBALL
NL 5 Card Draw
NL 5 Card Draw Triple Draw
NL 7 Card Stud

Yiiihaaaaa!

No Limit Triple Draws ?

judge-britney-spears.gif

Well there is this New Members Start Here that will lead you to resources, which will lead you to here if you are looking for this sorta thing.

I'm working on a Project that may lead to a similar GB as to this one, then again, it's all very early and it may not pan out.

Hey guys list your mixed games that you play at home, forgive me if there's a previous thread about this particular subject. Here are ours that we play:

No Limit Hold'em
NL Pineapple
NL Crazy Pineapple
Pot Limit Omaha
5 Card PL Omaha
PL Courchevel
NL 5 Card Draw
NL 7 Card Stud

Yiiihaaaaa!

A solid line-up for big spenders! NL triple draw, NL stud - swing for the fences! If you enjoy KC Lowball, you should add Badugi to your rotation; it's a lowball game with a similar feel but a completely different flavor.

After that, add some circus games. :) abby99's Mixed-Game List is your one-stop shop for all the games you could ask for.

Some of my favorite circus games:
  • Scrotum
  • Scarney
  • Thermonuclear Armageddon Pineapple
  • Three-Hand Hold'em
I also enjoy a lot of games that get derisively called "kitchen-table games", the kind that were popular before Hold'Em became the only game anyone ever played. A few of my favorites:
  • Dakota
  • Rosencrantz and Guildenstern
  • Bastard of Science
  • Locust Swarm
Some of these games come from an old book called Dealer's Choice by James Ernest, now out of print. They're mostly dumb but a lot of fun and not nearly as dumb as you think.

I also enjoy throwing in some games that aren't poker:
  • Bourre (a trick-taking game with guts-like betting)
  • Put (an ancient trick-taking game with poker-like betting)
  • Brag (a poker-like game with very different betting)
Life's too short to play hold'em all night.

Dakota: Seven card stud, ace-five high-low split with declare, low hole wild for high, option to buy the river up, roll your own all day long. Here's what that means.

Rosencrantz and Guildenstern: Like Follow the Queen on steroids. Seven card stud. If a face-up Jack is dealt, the next card dealt up becomes low (it, and all other cards of the same rank, become lower in rank than a deuce, and they cannot be used in straights). If a face-up Queen is dealt, the next card dealt up becomes wild (and all other cards of the same rank). If a face-up King is dealt, the next card dealt up becomes dead (and all other cards of the same rank). A card being dead takes precedence over the same card being wild, and being wild takes precedence over the same card being low. If a second or subsequent King is dealt, the card following it becomes dead and the previous dead card becomes normal again; likewise for Queens and Jacks. A low card can still make a pair, trips, boat, or quads; a dead card is treated as out of the game.

This game is a combination of Follow the Queen (cards dealt after a face-up Queen become wild) and Hamlet (Jacks are low, Queens are wild, and Kings are dead). So it's "Follow the Hamlet".

It's basically just seven-card stud, with the increased possibility that your hand's value might change dramatically with the turn of each card. The fewer cards still to come, the smaller the chance that such a dramatic turn of events will take place. Smart players will evaluate their hands accordingly.

Bastard of Science: Five-card draw (single or triple); twos are wild for making pairs, threes are wild for making trips, fours are wild for making quads, and fives are wild for making straights, flushes, and fives-of-a-kind. It makes your draws very interesting, and much less obvious than in straight 5CD.

Locust Swarm: Five-card draw (best as single-draw); twos and threes are bugs. A bug is a limited wild card; when used to complete a straight or a flush it becomes the highest card needed to complete the straight or flush; when not used in a straight or flush it becomes an ace (but can't, for example, become a seven to turn a pair of sevens into trips). 5CD with a single joker as a bug used to be commonly played in California, where it was called Gardena Jackpots. This game has eight bugs instead of one, so players are very often going to be drawing to premium hands - straights, flushes, and aces full (or four aces, or five!).

---

People nowadays look down their noses at games with wild cards, but they're not that different from the circus games that are fashionable now. Five-card double-board PLO is just another way to skew the odds towards everyone having premium hands - and that's basically all that wild cards do. You're still playing poker; you still need to be good at math and good at reading other players. It's just a different flavor, that's all. It makes the math harder, makes the mistakes bigger, and lets lucky players get luckier - great for action, great for gamblers, and great for good players who can ride out the swings.

Wild cards make the games nittier because anyone could have premium hands at any time, also impossible to discard cards from people’s ranges.

Here’s a fun mix:

- Double Board Omaha hi only; 5 card hand
- Dramaha; 5 card hand
- Scarney; 6 card hand 6 card boards
- Route 66 (Dramaha 6 card board & 6 card hand)
- Archie (triple draw hi/lo with 99 hi and 8 OB low)
- Dramaha 21: 5 card hand is 21 pips
- Route 67 (Dramaha with 27 lowball in your hand)
- Derailment

Derailment (also called Infinite Sadness by me) is a 3 board variation of double board hi only, with one twist.

The low river card wipes out that entire board. So on this board:

KKAA3
J9T84
Q2755

The top board is wiped out immediately after dealing river before betting.

If the low river hits two boards:

KKAA3
J9T83
Q2755

….both boards are knocked out (leaving just Q2755).

Very fun game. You can prop bet which boards get derailed when out of the hand. In the hand, it’s critical to have nuts or draws at least 2 boards and backdoor outs on the 3rd (and your outs can’t be low cards like wheel draws by definition). The quality of the turn card and how it hits your hand is absolutely critical. Involves a lot of Omaha strategy with a meta twist.

I'm a nit. We only play games that have WSOP bracelets lol. And no love for fixed limit? I find our limit HORSE games to be much more enjoyable, just because everyone knows that no one is going home way up or way down and just has fun.

No Limit Hold'em
NL Pineapple
NL Crazy Pineapple
Pot Limit Omaha
5 Card PL Omaha
PL Courchevel
NL 5 Card Draw
NL 7 Card Stud

Yiiihaaaaa!
NL 7 card Stud? That's blasphemy on the highest level!:ROFL: :ROFLMAO:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom