Mixed Cash Set In Progress (1 Viewer)

RocAFella1

Royal Flush
Reaction score
I never thought I would do a mixed cash set as my OCD always required a set all from one place. While I was in Vegas at the Chip Show and the WSOP, I decided to overcome my OCD and try my hand at building a mixed cash set. This is a work in progress so I will post pics and updates as the set comes together.

Here is the first component of the set:
image.jpeg

Second and third components:
image.jpeg

Last edited:
I never thought I would do a mixed cash set as my OCD always required a set all from one place. While I was in Vegas at the Chip Show and the WSOP, I decided to overcome my OCD and try my hand at building a mixed cash set. This is a work in progress so I will post pics and updates as the set comes together.

Here is the first component of the set:
View attachment 185955

That is a nice start. Maybe a Fort McDowell frac works well with the rio, I like the blaze orange chip with the rio inlay.
Screen Shot 2015-12-23 at 6.05.01 PM.png

Wow, those are great! Were they relatively easy to harvest?

Took a little bit of time and effort but not nearly as hard as spotted birds or Paris $1s.

That is a nice start. Maybe a Fort McDowell frac works well with the rio, I like the blaze orange chip with the rio inlay.
View attachment 185956

I've always wanted a rack of those. But if I ever got a rack, I would probably relabel them for my Gulfport set. I wish I bought those Main Street hotstamped gray quarters that were in the classifieds. I found 16 of them at the chip show.

As for the $5, PCA secondary $5 is a match made in heaven but pricy.
image.jpeg

Took a little bit of time and effort but not nearly as hard as spotted birds or Paris $1s.

I've always wanted a rack of those. But if I ever got a rack, I would probably relabel them for my Gulfport set. I wish I bought those Main Street hotstamped gray quarters that were in the classifieds. I found 16 of them at the chip show.

As for the $5, PCA secondary $5 is a match made in heaven but pricy.
View attachment 185962
That’s looking real good there!

Is that the current live $1 chip @ Rio, n do i see some LCV mixed in with the SCV chips? Those are sweet dude.
Damn too bad the Rio's nickels, quarters, n black chips are RHC mold though.

Is that the current live $1 chip @ Rio, n do i see some LCV mixed in with the SCV chips? Those are sweet dude.
Damn too bad the Rio's nickels, quarters, n black chips are RHC mold though.

Yup current live $1 chips. You're seeing correctly. There's even a bunch of $1s with LCV on one side and SCV on the other side. Not sure why they would do that but it's helping me to deal with my OCD. The $2 chip is nice but also RHC. The $5s, $25s, and $100s are fairly worn too

From memory @BGinGA confirmed that GPI don’t differentiate between LCV and SCV. The boat chips certainly were made with a mix of both.

From memory @BGinGA confirmed that GPI don’t differentiate between LCV and SCV. The boat chips certainly were made with a mix of both.

I remember hearing this somewhere too. Definitely not the first time I've seen this. It just seems substandard to mix LCV and SCV on a single chip IMO.

I remember hearing this somewhere too. Definitely not the first time I've seen this. It just seems substandard to mix LCV and SCV on a single chip IMO.
I agree. I’ve got some of the AS chips at home that are LCV in one side and SCV on the other and it is a bit tilting.

I can’t say Ive noticed it on older chips. Maybe it’s a new thing.

I haven't been able to track down any more Main Street Station quarters so far, so I'm considering the Diamond Jo quarters.
image.jpeg

I have some $25s and $100s en route, will post pics when they arrive.

I agree. I’ve got some of the AS chips at home that are LCV in one side and SCV on the other and it is a bit tilting.

I can’t say Ive noticed it on older chips. Maybe it’s a new thing.
You poor observant bastards. Cane length isn't a detail that registers on my radar.

Much more than just cane length. Cane angle, sharpness and depth of hat/cane image, depth of the recess area, even the width of the outer ring is different. Might appear the same to a casual observer, but two chips side-by-side are worlds apart.

And no, not new. Been that way forever.

I am OCD a bit as well and have struggled with making mixed sets for the very reasons you describe. Luckily for me I am in the same boat as @upNdown and haven't bothered to notice SCV/LCV difference. I make a deliberate point to never look too close because if I do notice it then it could become an issue...lol

I love the RIO 1's...they look to be in great shape as well. I would discourage trying to use grey as the color to tie the set together. I dislike grey fracs as well. It is just so bland. With so many great colors available I would go with blue/hot pink/yellow.

Following to see how this develops!

I heard Rio got new chips, are these mint?

I am OCD a bit as well and have struggled with making mixed sets for the very reasons you describe. Luckily for me I am in the same boat as @upNdown and haven't bothered to notice SCV/LCV difference. I make a deliberate point to never look too close because if I do notice it then it could become an issue...lol

I love the RIO 1's...they look to be in great shape as well. I would discourage trying to use grey as the color to tie the set together. I dislike grey fracs as well. It is just so bland. With so many great colors available I would go with blue/hot pink/yellow.

Following to see how this develops!

I heard Rio got new chips, are these mint?

I never imagined I would build a mixed set, but it's actually been fun trying to piece the set together and create good looking combos. The only way I could is if there is some theme/spot/color combo throughout the set.

The SCV/LCV definitely bothers me, but I didn't have time to sort through them. I did sort out all of the RHC chips except for one.

Good point on the gray quarters being somewhat bland. I managed to find some at chip show and thought they would go well with the gray edgespot of the $1s and the gray edgespot of the PCA $5s, but I'm probably not going to go with the PCA $5s. I am comparing blue and pink and could go with either. I have access to a rack of metallic gold Fitzgerald quarters as well, but there's a lot of flea bites and color variation.

Rio had some mint $1 chips in the cash table racks but I actually wanted to get used, but near mint chips so it's easier to put them into play.

Much more than just cane length. Cane angle, sharpness and depth of hat/cane image, depth of the recess area, even the width of the outer ring is different. Might appear the same to a casual observer, but two chips side-by-side are worlds apart.

And no, not new. Been that way forever.
Agree that they are very different in appearance, SCV is much nicer to my eye, but I’m still sure that I haven’t seen the mix of molds in too many THC chips.

I’m pretty sure I haven’t noticed it in any of my current solid set. Admittedly I haven’t really handled many of them yet and haven’t used them in play either.

Surely it’s not a case of all THCs being a mix of SCV/LCV.

Thoughts on the $5 yet? PCA $5? I also think a more muted $5 like the Empress Secondary $5 would look good here.

Funny you should say that. Have some Empress secondary $5s coming. Played around with Claim Stake $5s which work with the Rio $1s but not with the $25s and $100s. Plus the Empress $5s pick up the gold edgespot of the $100s.

No look finding more Main Street Station quarters. Any ideas for an alternative?

Fracs seem to always be the hard item to get. I just sold 2 racks of these so I don't have em anymore but I think the red would match well with the Rio inlay red colors.

20180710_210409.jpg20180710_210642.jpg20180710_210429.jpg

Fracs seem to always be the hard item to get. I just sold 2 racks of these so I don't have em anymore but I think the red would match well with the Rio inlay red colors.

Indeed. Although it's funny that this started with me getting almost a barrel of the fracs at the chip show. I considered those but will have dark red Empress $5s so there maybe be some dirty stacks.

I wish I grabbed those Diamond Jo to hold me over now.

Yea for that reason red fracs are a no no as you almost certainly want red 5s. A bit of an odd colour to use for a frac.

You might need to keep a watchful eye on the classifieds to score 1-2 racks of fracs.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom