mipevi does Tampa/NYC (?) (1 Viewer)

mipevi

Full House
Reaction score
I was originally planning a trip for early next year, but there are upcoming renovations that I'd rather be present for. So I'm considering making a live PLO / chip run from May to June this year. I can get decently priced plane tickets from Finland to NYC, where I'd prolly stay for a few days, but my main focus would be in Tampa for at least a week and up to a month.

Any advice on which areas to look accommodation for (preferably lower budget) and touristy things to do, where to eat, etc. are very much appreciated. I have been to NYC once a long time ago, but Tampa is completely new to me. I will be restricted to uber/lyft and public transportation, as I don't plan on driving myself. My main place to play would be the Seminole Hard Rock, so easy access there would be a plus.

Feel free to post here or hit me with a PM if that's what you prefer. Thanks a lot! :D

Last edited:
the hotel rates at Tampa Hard Rock are pretty high, I would check www.AirBNB.com to see if you can score a rental with full kitchen to have a comfortable base of operations at a reasonable rate. Just be aware the Hard Rock isn't in the most economically attractive area of town, so staying closer because of transportation concerns could also place you in a less desirable area.

Depending on your schedule and location I may be able to provide transportation some of the time. I'll shoot you a pm with my cell #

My wife and I are pretty much homebodies and generally avoid spots that attract tons of people, we'd rather just relax at home, so I won't be a ton of help with cool spots to visit. Off the top of my head Charlies Steak House (pricey) and I guess Busch Gardens (theme park with zoo) are close by. We aren't really beach people but the Clearwater and St Petersburg area is just across the bridge from Tampa and popular for beaches.

As far as PLO goes:

Mondays: 1/2 with a mandatory $5 button straddle and unlimited restraddles at Luckys - Tampa Greyhound Track - starts at 10am, usually gets 3+ tables throughout the day going

Thursdays: 1/2 just like Mondays but usually has one round of 1/3 NL Hold Em and 2 rounds of the 1/2/5 PLO at Luckys, starts 10am

Typically every day of the week at Tampa Hard Rock there's 2/5 PLO with a $10 rock (posted by the winner of the previous hand as a forced straddle, no additional straddles permitted). A 5/10/25 PLO will pop up sometimes midweek and usually on the weekends as well. Sometimes there's a 25/25 PLO also. And 1/2 PLO has been popping up more frequently at the Hard Rock as well.

I'm travelling to Vegas for a few smaller events at the WSOP but not until June 24th so should be in town when you're visiting. Maybe we can organize a mini-meetup when you're in town? @k9dr @pltrgyst @Schmendr1ck @ni9n3r @fish72s

I've been thinking the best area for me could be within a walking distance of the streetcar and bus 15 line (which I think goes to Hard Rock). So maybe somewhere in/around Ybor?

A PCF game sounds amazing! :cool

I'm not much help with Tampa as I live further south in the Sarasota/Bradenton area. I only travel to Tampa to go to Lightning hockey and the airport. That said, I would recommend a trip to Ybor City and the Columbia restaurant for some authentic Cuban cuisine. The Zydeco Brewery is pretty good too.

I would be happy to organize a mini-meetup while you are in town. Just let me know the dates when you figure it out and I'll see what I can do. Perhaps @Anthony Martino could provide travel services from Tampa to Bradenton.

So these guys will be in Orlando on May 27th. Pretty sure it means I will as well... :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom