Minimum table width (1 Viewer)

crussader

Flush
Reaction score
For a backup table I'm thinking about getting a plastic folding table from Walmart and putting a topper on it (my own version of a poker hoody). I'm looking at 72in long and 30in wide rectangle.

If there are no rails added, is the 30in wide playing surface manageable?

For a backup table I'm thinking about getting a plastic folding table from Walmart and putting a topper on it (my own version of a poker hoody). I'm looking at 72in long and 30in wide rectangle.

My biggest concern here would be under the table. Crossing/uncrossing legs may lead to games of "footsie" under the table. Not bad if you are using it for a "overflow" table, but I suspect it would be uncomfortable for an entire night.

It's the standard width for a dining table so I'm not too concerned about the footsies.

I have two purposes in mind. 1. Overflow table for cash games. 2. If starting the evening with a tournament, moving the tourney play to that table when it gets own to four or five players and opening the main table up for cash.

Both my dining tables are greater than 30", and a bistro table typically measures only 27" - and bistro tables kinda suck unless you're both looking out at the street - i.e facing the same general direction. My Google-fu could find some apartment sized (read: square) dining tables that fit in at 30", but most 6+ person tables are 36" or wider.

However, with your purposes in mind, I think it would work fine - though I would never move the tournament table players to the bargin-basement table. Kind of a reward for not being eliminated, and no hassle of moving an entire game (provided the final stacks are appropriately huge).

I stand corrected on the dining table width. I guess I've gotten used to always having small dining rooms.

The tournament is just a warm up. The cash game is the main event.

@bergs do you still have that narrow poker table? It fit in the living room at your condo...how wide was it?

Don't have it yet. I have an 84x42 table in my dining room, but would like to have a second table available. It would have to be a folding table I could put up in my living room on game night. There is limited space in there with all the other furniture. I think I could make a 30 inch wide table fit, but am not sure how it would play.

This is what I do on the odd occasion where we need an extra tourney table (except I have one of those neoprene mousepad things). Its obviously not as nice as a full width table but works fine. I wouldn't seat more than 6-7 players otherwise it gets tight.

A 72 x 36 table plays fine, but a 30" wide oval really only works well if it's surrounded by a 4" (or wider) rail (essentially making it 36" across with the overlap). 30" is not enough legroom underneath, and the ends are very crowded.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom