Cash Game Minimum amount of .25 in a starting stack for a .25/.50 home game (1 Viewer)

Pesto628

3 of a Kind
Reaction score
Most of the games I’ve played in the .25 chips are strictly used for blinds and the betting is almost always in dollar increments (except maybe the initial preflop raise). Do you think we can get by with 8 .25 in the starting stack or is 12 best?

Also see this thread, and my reply.
https://www.pokerchipforum.com/threads/lowest-amount-of-fracs.31826/#post-583066

It really depends on how experienced the players are and how they bet in the game (i.e. betting in whole dollars, like your post above), but 60 to 80 quarters can work for 1 table. I've even made 40 work with 8 players or so, because we used a set (with awesome chips) that only had 40 quarters. With new or less experienced players, I'd favor more quarters.

I'd prefer 20 chips too so I can exchange them with someone else for $5 and not have 20 useless chips sitting in front of me. :D

One benefit of going with 8 per player is that it’ll likely cause those that call big bets with small chips to start using the larger denoms

Amateurs. :D

I give each player a barrel of quarters, 1-2 barrels of ones, and fives for the rest of their first buy-in until I get 100-120 quarters on the table, then ones and fives only.

Why mess with setting stacks ahead of time?

Amateurs. :D

I give each player a barrel of quarters, 1-2 barrels of ones, and fives for the rest of their first buy-in until I get 100-120 quarters on the table, then ones and fives only.

Why mess with setting stacks ahead of time?
^^ Smart way to do it. And you can also preset those ahead of time, too, if so inclined.

^^ Smart way to do it. And you can also preset those ahead of time, too, if so inclined.
I do. It's a little something I like to call "keeping my chips in racks." :cool:

Joking aside, that's the beauty of doing it this way - just pull barrels from a rack, and save yourself a ton of hassle. My players are smart enough to make change as needed.

This is my favorite pet horse to flog...

Not to reignite the 100 vs 120 v 200 debate for fracs, but...100 fracs is plenty for a single table. More just get in the way.

No one needs 120 or 160 or any other silliness when it comes to fracs at a single table. More than 100 is wasting chips and making your set inefficient.

I subscribe to the @abby99 school of thought when it comes to fracs, which is the ONLY correct one:

Fracs are only useful for blinds. The first five players get a barrel of quarters as part of their buy-in, and everyone else buys some off those players. There is no need for even starting stacks—the fracs will be unevenly distributed around the table anyway after an orbit or two.

$100 buy in - barrel of .25, barrel of $1 and $75 in red for the first 5 buy-in then a barrel of red for the rest. One rack of pink, one rack of white - per table.

Most of the games I’ve played in the .25 chips are strictly used for blinds and the betting is almost always in dollar increments (except maybe the initial preflop raise). Do you think we can get by with 8 .25 in the starting stack or is 12 best?

If the betting is almost always in dollar increments, why bother with quarters? Why not go with .50/.50 blinds?

Doing both Tournament and cash, being seriously accurate (someone could say in an alarming way).... I never considered any amount that is not a perfect multiplier of a rack. I'd say one complete for each player

This is my favorite pet horse to flog...

Not to reignite the 100 vs 120 v 200 debate for fracs, but...100 fracs is plenty for a single table. More just get in the way.

No one needs 120 or 160 or any other silliness when it comes to fracs at a single table. More than 100 is wasting chips and making your set inefficient.

Yes...but when you have 154 of these, 160 is necessary for an 8 player game barrel each for shuffling. Wasting chips? I have no idea what you are talking about Eliott.
Screen Shot 2016-09-15 at 2.59.19 AM.png

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom