Mineral Oil with Vitamin E? (2 Viewers)

secondhander

Sitting Out
Reaction score
Is it OK to use Mineral Oil that is enriched with vitamin E? It's the kind of mineral oil that is often used to maintain cutting boards.

Is it OK to use Mineral Oil that is enriched with vitamin E? It's the kind of mineral oil that is often used to maintain cutting boards.

This seems like it would more of a “baby oil” type product... essentially the same, aside for baby oil or external application oil products are typically scented, which is not desirable.

Stick with the mineral oil utilized as a laxative, which is food grade, pure, and not scented.

This seems like it would more of a “baby oil” type product... essentially the same, aside for baby oil or external application oil products are typically scented, which is not desirable.

Stick with the mineral oil utilized as a laxative, which is food grade, pure, and not scented.

It is not a baby oil product. It is a food grade mineral oil, enriched with vitamin E. Unscented, colorless, odorless.

Attachments

• IMG_20171026_202843126.jpg
    IMG_20171026_202843126.jpg
    114.2 KB · Views: 404
Last edited:
...with an extra additive you don't need, and of which it's long and short term effects on clay chip materials is unknown.

Probably more expensive, too. Vitamin E isn't free.

I wouldn't use it on my chips. Test beds they are not.

...with an extra additive you don't need, and of which it's long and short term effects on clay chip materials is unknown.

Probably more expensive, too. Vitamin E isn't free.

I wouldn't use it on my chips. Test beds they are not.

I already had the other mineral oil, so it's not more expensive. And I am asking for expert opinion in case someone already had experience before I am using it, so I'm not using it as a test bed. :p

I am going to just use mineral oil without the vitamin e since no one seems to have experience with it, though since it is used on cutting boards that you cut food on, I imagine it would be just fine. Vitamin e shouldn't leave a smell or a residue. Nevertheless, I'll go the safe route.

Heh. Well vitamin e with mineral oil is used on cutting boards, so it's at least good for something other than skin.

In any case, I used regular mineral oil for my chips. I did try the mineral oil with vitamin E on 5 chips, and they came out fine.

22858129_487677211615901_3309160147086999552_n.jpg

Vitamin E is there to help reduce bacteria on cutting boards, so that's the purpose of it. Yes I know we're talking about chips, but there you go

I'd have no concern about using cutting board mineral oil on chips. As mentioned above, it's there to prevent the oil from going rancid in the board. (Mineral oil doesn't generally go rancid in the bottle, but when it's exposed to other stuff, it can.)

The amount of tocopherol (Vitamin E) in there is going to be very, very small... and, in your chips, it'll have the same effect as in a cutting board. When stuff from your skin hits the chips, the tocopherol will keep the chips from going rancid, so... they'll taste better? Also, it acts as an anti-oxidant, and may actually help preserve the colors in your chips... to a completely undetectable degree.

I have human-grade mineral oil from a pharmacy; you use so little that price doesn't really matter - but if I had the butcher-block stuff, I'd just use that with no worries.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom