Mineral Oil - Cutting Board Mineral Oil ????? Is this good? (1 Viewer)

breezywood

Sitting Out
Reaction score

I'm thinking of getting this to oil my chips. it has very high rating and reviews on amazon. Does anyone have any input on this product?

you just need a wee bit. think about how your hands feel after eating fries. thats all you need to coat the surface.

That’s fine, assuming it is cheap. That bottle is like a lifetime supply for half of PCF.

I have used about 3 teaspoons to individually wipe around 2000 chips. The rag is still oily and stuff can just sit around. No smell. Nothing to rot or go rancid :tup:

If it costs more than pure mineral oil from CVS or Walgreens, it's a waste of money, for either chips or a cutting board. Your chips don't need vitamin E. :cool

And at $10.95 for 12 ounces, it's ridiculous..., imo.

Mineral oil for wood is thinner and more expensive than pharmacy mineral oil.
I haven't needed pharmacy mineral oil but I do have wood to oil.
I used the pharmacy oil for my chips.

I use pharmacy mineral oil for my cutting boards. Both boards are four inch thick oak, 20-30 years old, and absorb the thicker pharmacy oil just fine, both end-grain and side-grain surfaces. My brother has a century-old butcher block 24 x 24 x 20 inches thick, and he uses the pharmacy oil on that as well. In my experience, the thicker oil needs to be added less frequently than the thinner, more expensive oil.

I suspect the thinner oil is of more value when dealing with finer grained wood of different density and thickness than our comparatively crude cutting boards. Possibly in applications where you want quick absorption, and definitely don't want any thicker oil lurking on the surface. Does that sound reasonable?

Works fine for me too. Mineral oil is mineral oil.

Not according to Wikipedia.

But my favorite passage:

"Mineral oil's ubiquity has led to its use in some niche applications as well. It is used for treating and preserving wooden butcher block counter tops.[23] It is recommended by the American Society for Reproductive Medicine for use as a fertility-preserving vaginal lubrication.[24] The degrading effect of oils on latex condoms should be borne in mind.[25]"

Seems as though the last two sentences might be somewhat at odds with each other...

Not according to Wikipedia.

But my favorite passage:

"Mineral oil's ubiquity has led to its use in some niche applications as well. It is used for treating and preserving wooden butcher block counter tops.[23] It is recommended by the American Society for Reproductive Medicine for use as a fertility-preserving vaginal lubrication.[24] The degrading effect of oils on latex condoms should be borne in mind.[25]"

Seems as though the last two sentences might be somewhat at odds with each other...
Well in that case... :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom