Milling Pr0n w/ g0re (2 Viewers)

Ethan

Full House
Reaction score
Paused. A @BillyBluff mixed rack. :cool

83EB5285-B117-4952-82D3-5952CE27E92A.jpeg

I recently picked up some double and single stamped Starbursts to mill and turn into fracs, but looking at the pattern it does not appear to be centered on all of the chips, so I am concerned about if I should use a 1" bit instead of a 7/8" to get all of the foil. Any recommendations on milling or should I leave them as is??

I’ve noticed that it’s the mold that’s usually not centered, but the hotstamp is.
I’m betting when the chips are loaded onto the lathe, they may not be perfectly centered, so the mold edge doesn’t always match the chip edge.
However, when the chip is hot stamped, it’s done after lathing, and the stamp hits the physical center of the chip. So an out-of-center mold makes it look like the hotstamp is off.
If you carefully center the milling bit on the chip, I’ve found that it often gets all of the hotstamp. But the finished milled recess may be slightly off center compared to the rings of the mold.
Definitely an imperfect process.

Being a noob here, I have a question. What is this “milling “ process that is pictured above and when is this process done to the Paulsons
Welcome aboard. Milling can be useful if the original hotstamp is not very appealing, and you want to remove it and add your own customized label to the recess that you mill out. It's essentially a way to be able to customize Paulson chips.

Welcome aboard. Milling can be useful if the original hotstamp is not very appealing, and you want to remove it and add your own customized label to the recess that you mill out. It's essentially a way to be able to customize Paulson chips.
Oh ok, so it removes the hot stamp and takes down some of the inlay surface to rebrand

Oh ok, so it removes the hot stamp and takes down some of the inlay surface to rebrand
Correct. It is especially useful with random monogrammed hotstamps that has no meaning other than to the person ordering them many years ago when it was posible to order monogrammed hotstamps directly from Paulson. Like for example these:
Screenshot_20210419-181333.png

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom