Milling depth - flush label vs recessed (2 Viewers)

GenghisKhan

Full House
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
So all the millers always say just remove enough material to put the label. And that it's ok if you still see some of the old stamp.

That being said, do you prefer a label that is flush with the chip or slightly recessed?
Reason for asking at the bottom.

Left = slight recess
Right = flush with surface

20200628_120327.jpg
20200628_120320.jpg
Recessed.jpg
Flush.jpg

These stamps go deeper than on the previous 800 chips I milled and I'm worried that will show through the balel. I can still feel the grooves of the stamp.

15933572489832832544676903625834.jpg

@Josh Kifer @Eloe2000 ?

I remove the entire hotstamp and/or ensure the label will sit at a recess because 1) I prefer an even adhering surface to ensure the label is flat and secure, 2) I personally prefer the feel of a slight recess for an inlay or a hotstamp surface from the outer ring for any chip at all milled or not, 3) I want to absolutely ensure no spinners even in case I use the chips for a long time and there is some wear, and 4) this also helps ensure the life of the label if there is no friction with other chips.

Yeah, slight recess. I don't want to take the chance of making too many spinners after applying a laminated sticker. I prefer the router milling method only because of the consistent, controllable mill depth.

Yeah, slight recess. I don't want to take the chance of making too many spinners after applying a laminated sticker. I prefer the router milling method only because of the consistent, controllable mill depth.
Yup. Hand milling it's a impossible task to make perfect. I try and mill shallow and just offer remilling if we have any that need a bump...

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom