Mildly infuriating diameter differences (1 Viewer)

What would you do?

• Combine all the $5s together, use them all

Votes: 11 61.1%
  • Just use the slightly smaller fives: cross-denom differences don't matter and there are more of them

Votes: 3 16.7%
  • Use the normal size fives only even if it means you are short

Votes: 2 11.1%
  • Burn them all

Votes: 2 11.1%

• Total voters

redwine

Two Pair
Reaction score
Hey all,

Just wanted to catalog this and gather thoughts. I've been assembling a BCC Mardi Gras cash set, and have a problem with a very slight diameter difference among the $5 denom chips. To be specific there are a bunch of $5 chips (sadly, about 70%) which are a hair smaller in diameter than all the Mardi Gras chips. I will also note that my Paulsons actually all align perfectly with the smaller chips, which also means that the set doesn't really fit into the racks that I have.

I honestly could not pick up the difference with a standard mm tape measure (it is less than 0.5mm), but it is definitely there. The second pic makes it look worse than it is, but in that position the differences are most noticeable.
IMG-1907.jpg
IMG-1909.jpg

Luckily the heights are not affected:
IMG-1910.jpg

Weights are also pretty much the same:
IMG-1911.jpg
IMG-1912.jpg

Obviously I would like to have all the $5s be the same size as the other chips. The problem is that most of the $5s are the smaller diameter :vomit: . I guess I would be okay with having an entire denomination having this issue (we mix 39mm and 43mm after all, although that is a bit different obv) as one should never be stacking different denoms together. Or maybe I just jumble them all together? I don't think anyone but I will notice this, since it can only be seen when the chips are racked, and in stacks chips are never neat enough for this type of difference to be noticeable. The differences are also small enough that it doesn't affect shuffling or ability to do other chip tricks. But there lies the rub:

3ujif8.jpg

Oh also, if anyone has this same issue and want to work out a mutually agreeable trade to consolidate identical diameter 5's, please pm me.

Hey all,

Just wanted to catalog this and gather thoughts. I've been assembling a BCC Mardi Gras cash set, and have a problem with a very slight diameter difference among the $5 denom chips. To be specific there are a bunch of $5 chips (sadly, about 70%) which are a hair smaller in diameter than all the Mardi Gras chips. I will also note that my Paulsons actually all align perfectly with the smaller chips, which also means that the set doesn't really fit into the racks that I have.

I honestly could not pick up the difference with a standard mm tape measure (it is less than 0.5mm), but it is definitely there. The second pic makes it look worse than it is, but in that position the differences are most noticeable.
View attachment 430727 View attachment 430723

Luckily the heights are not affected:
View attachment 430724

Weights are also pretty much the same:
View attachment 430725 View attachment 430726

Obviously I would like to have all the $5s be the same size as the other chips. The problem is that most of the $5s are the smaller diameter :vomit: . I guess I would be okay with having an entire denomination having this issue (we mix 39mm and 43mm after all, although that is a bit different obv) as one should never be stacking different denoms together. Or maybe I just jumble them all together? I don't think anyone but I will notice this, since it can only be seen when the chips are racked, and in stacks chips are never neat enough for this type of difference to be noticeable. The differences are also small enough that it doesn't affect shuffling or ability to do other chip tricks. But there lies the rub:

View attachment 430743

Oh also, if anyone has this same issue and want to work out a mutually agreeable trade to consolidate identical diameter 5's, please pm me.
Yeah, this is a really tough one. Like you, if I know it's there... I know it's there. I guess it depends whether you realistically think you can live with it whilst having them in play? Go with your gut, would be my best advice.

Yes, BCC made 39mm chips in two different diameters. IIRC, the larger one was referred to as heavy, and it seems that it's the extra diameter that makes them heavy. I have two groups of MGK chips with mixed diameters. For most games I use the larger diameter chips, which I have in a larger quantity. If I need to use them all, I would have no problem mixing them. I know of only a couple of players who would both notice the difference and say something. If the chips are mixed, don't be surprised if one or two of your players separates them and bets with one of the sizes in order to end up with a stack of $5s that are all the same diameter. Sometimes, poker players can be a bit strange (although I attribute that to boredom from playing too much NLHE). ;)

If it really bothers you, look for additional $5 chips with the smaller diameter to purchase or trade for. Unless of course you luck out and find a quantity of the larger diameter.

I kind of wonder if it was a different production run? I had a set of 150 that I purchased second hand. I eventually purchased the last 50 from the vendor when they were operational and they seemed to be the smaller size. Sold the set to @detroitdad and then from there?

I've seen the same problem with some of my Primary Aztar $25's. In addition to the worst racking streaks across the inlays that I have ever seen, several appear to be 37mm or so in diameter.. The rack marks could be the result of just a few overzealous dealers or cage employees. I have no idea how the circumference of a few chips could be significantly smaller.

I kind of wonder if it was a different production run? I had a set of 150 that I purchased second hand. I eventually purchased the last 50 from the vendor when they were operational and they seemed to be the smaller size.
Nah. BCC's quality control failings were legendary, including issues such as misshapen inlays, grossly split spots, poor inlay quality, inconsistent diameters (even in the same set/run), double-mold ghosting, and other just plain old-fashioned production errors that they astonishingly almost always deemed as 'acceptable' and refused to correct. Horror stories abound.

They eventually started churning out chips in a larger 39.5mm 'heavyweight' style towards the end of the company's lifespan. I suspect it was because it required less machining labor, and not for any supposed valiant or noble reason.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom