Milano vs majestic vs royals (1 Viewer)

coledtran

High Hand
Reaction score
I ended up getting samples of the Nevada jacks saloon and hated ceramics, so going to go with a China clay. Is there a big difference between these three? I know the royals are 43mm. But any significant difference because milanos are only .35 and royals are .55.

I got a set of Nevada Jack saloons, but did not like them and returned them. Now wondering what the differences are between these chips besides size and color. Wondering if people could give input. Thanks. The price difference of milanos and royals is .20/chip, so is pretty significant for my smaller budget.

The Royals have varying edge spots whereas Milanos all have the same spots just different colors, if that matters to you. I too think the Royals are the nicest China Clay chips with the best feel and sound of all the CC offerings. I have several BCC and CPC sets and my players really like the Royals just as much.

When I went through it, I was considering cc vs ceramic vs clay. I really wanted to go the cheaper route, but I just really disliked the feel and repeating spot patterns and lack of uniformity of majestics and milanos.
My ultimate decision was that it wasn’t worth paying 35 cents or whatever for those China clay chips - that I’d be better off with dice chips, until I wanted to splurge on ceramics or real clay.
And let me be clear - I wasn’t choosing ceramics or clay over China clay, I was simply ruling out the majestics and Milanos as an option.
Royals weren’t around at the time, and I still haven’t handled them. They definitely look better, so if I had to do it over, I’d consider them. But I don’t consider Milanos or Majestics to be significantly better than dice chips.

Anyone with Milano poker chips, what is your favorite thing about them?
I picked up 50 red $5 Milano chips off Amazon. I like that there were no spinners and they don't tumble over which is a huge plus. I hate when the poker table moves and chips fall over. Plus, there much lighter than my Bluff Canyon 14.5 grams. They seem to be the cheaper buy for chips. It's so hard to picking chips. Lol.
Let me add, I do want to go for the gold and just get Paulson.

I just don't know when I'll host another game. Which is probably twice a year. Thanks for list. Lol.

Royals is definitely the best bet out of those three, as long as you don’t mind 43mm of course. Nothing beats getting samples though. Make sure you like them

I have samples of all three. I'd rate them Royals, Majestics, then Milanos. I'm not an expert enough to really explain why, but just based on feel and ability to shuffle, I like the other two better than the Milanos.

I'd really recommend getting samples of each. I like getting at least 12 or more so I can get a better feel of shuffling. I think you'll be much happier with the decision you make after feeling each in person.

I haven't handled the Milanos.

While I like the Majestics just fine, as someone else mentioned, their edge spots are uniform and I prefer the variety of the royals.

Between royal and majestic it's really just preference. The Majestics have a very nice color and feel pretty equivalent to me. If you like the uniform look, I'd save the .1/chip.

I have a 600+ chip set of Milanos that I use for $0.25 / $0.50 n/l cash games. What I like about them:

1. I like the colors. It is true that they are more muted colors, but if you apply oil to them lightly, the colors do come to life. I particularly like the $1 and the $5.
2. They have a nice feel to them, and shuffle nicely.
3. They stack nicely.
4. They sound great when shuffling!
5. At the lower cost point, they are the best value for the money. That being said in the early 2000s I purchased a set of 1000 Key West Chips for tournament play instead of Paulson Top Hat and Cane or National Series, primarily because of slightly lower cost / higher value. I love my Key Wests, but my set would be worth a LOT more money had I chosen either of the Paulson sets.

The primary thing I do not like about them are the rounded edges. But then again, I don't often set my chips on edge, so I don't care very much.

My suggestion is to forget about the cost - in 10 years you will have forgotten about that. Get the set that you like the most.
IMG_5111.JPG

I am in the same exact spot. I just got samples of all 3, Milanos, Majestics and Royals. The Majestics and the Royals are absolutely beautiful color wise but I am going with the Milanos over the others (happens to be great for the wallet too). Majestics and Royals are essentially the same chip (outside of the 39mm/43mm size) but I don't know how to describe it but they feel more like plastic-y. They are slippery and slide all over the place with tons of spinners even after oiling them, and seem like they might topple after a few drinks. The Milanos have way less of a plastic feel and feel more clay-like. They don't topple or slip at all, are very smooth for shuffling and my personal favorite of the 3. Most people don't have the same opinion I do. They also have a more classic chip look and I can't wait to get my set. Overall, the biggest recommendation I have is to order samples. Check out thepokerstore.com or apache and spend $25 on samples of all of em and see how they all feel to you.

I am in the same exact spot. I just got samples of all 3, Milanos, Majestics and Royals. The Majestics and the Royals are absolutely beautiful color wise but I am going with the Milanos over the others (happens to be great for the wallet too). Majestics and Royals are essentially the same chip (outside of the 39mm/43mm size) but I don't know how to describe it but they feel more like plastic-y. They are slippery and slide all over the place with tons of spinners even after oiling them, and seem like they might topple after a few drinks. The Milanos have way less of a plastic feel and feel more clay-like. They don't topple or slip at all, are very smooth for shuffling and my personal favorite of the 3. Most people don't have the same opinion I do. They also have a more classic chip look and I can't wait to get my set. Overall, the biggest recommendation I have is to order samples. Check out thepokerstore.com or apache and spend $25 on samples of all of em and see how they all feel to you.
My initial opinion was that royals were the best. The colors and edge spot progressions are really nice (at least for me), and something I think both the majestics and milanos lack. That being said I was a little disappointed at the feel, and how little they feel like real clay chips. But I must say that I've gotten use to them and now appreciate their particularly different feel and sound. I do agree that they are a tad bit on the slick side and would definitely topple after a few drinks hahaha. I'm curious to handle milanos now. I don't see myself buying a set but just for comparison.

Yeah that was my original opinion too, I was sold on the Royals before ordering samples. Their color and edge spots are the best by a mile. But I don’t really like the 43mm size as much as I thought I would either. All personal preference. Milano sample sets are easy to come by or you could order 25 chips on Amazon for less than $10 as well

Majestic and royals are amazing . Once you go to the 43mm , it’s hard to like the 39s again. My honest opinion. My friends loveee the royals

Apache will also get Dunes (not to be confused with the Dunes Commemorative) back in stock in July.
I had a set few years ago and liked it a lot.
Just adding another CC option. ;-)

Anyone with Milano poker chips, what is your favorite thing about them?
I picked up 50 red $5 Milano chips off Amazon. I like that there were no spinners and they don't tumble over which is a huge plus. I hate when the poker table moves and chips fall over. Plus, there much lighter than my Bluff Canyon 14.5 grams. They seem to be the cheaper buy for chips. It's so hard to picking chips. Lol.
Let me add, I do want to go for the gold and just get Paulson.

I just don't know when I'll host another game. Which is probably twice a year. Thanks for list. Lol.
Hey, I just got a set and did a while post on what I think about them. Check it out!

https://www.pokerchipforum.com/threads/new-milano-cash-set.92486/#post-1907813

I have sample sets for all three, as well as higher end chips like the Paulson and CPC to compare them against. I also don't like many of the commercial ceramics like the Nevada Jacks available, but that is a personal preference.

For me the Milanos were at the bottom of the heap, even though I don't dislike the design. They felt like any of the other $0.10-20 cent chips you could grab on Amazon and I did not like the rounded corners, chalky finish and dull colors. Maybe if you spent a few hours cleaning and oiling them they would be OK, but still not great chips.

The Majestics and Royals were my personal favorites of all of the recent commercial sample sets available today. They have bright colors, shuffle well, and have a "clay" feel. The edge spots and designs are nice and they appear durable. They are not Paulsons, TRKs or CPCs but they are very nice chips I would happily put on the table for a good night of poker.

Picking between them is a matter of preference. Some people like the novelty of the 43mm chip, though in practice many players won't notice the difference. Pick the design you like better between the two.

Finally I'll mention the various Cards Mold group buys. These are also a good option with more customization, a bit more security (it can take months to get a set) and a very low price (0.39/chip for latest one completed). The chips are ceramic, but with the mold and color set have a feel similar to the Majestics/Royals. The only downside is that it does take some time to get a set - the average group buy is around 4-5 months.

For the Royals, along with the added size, comes some added weight. I like the heavier chip. It gives them a more substantial feel.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom