Mike Sexton is in Hospice :( (1 Viewer)

justsomedude

Straight Flush
Reaction score
Not good news...

5C58F0EB-A5D5-4321-B197-4EFE5E1CCF88.jpeg

In case anyone has never read them, Mike's brother Tom (who also sadly passed from cancer) maintained a site with an amazing collection of his own writings and memories of Vegas in the early days of poker and, not surprisingly, Mike figures prominently in many of them. And they are all worth reading.

The site is dead now, but still accessible through the Wayback Machine here. Part 1 of 5 of his long write-up about Mike is here. And my favorite non-Mike related Tom story is The Golddust Twins about Chip Reese and Danny Robeson (part 1 of 4 is here).

Apologies in advance for killing the next couple days for you as you wade through some truly classic tales.

I started watching poker with the Moneymaker WSOP and then the WPT. I instantly took a liking to Mike Sexton and his announcing style. I never met Mike but I emailed him a few times and he was great. I met his brother Tom when he picked me up in a cab which had photos and memorabilia of Mike all over the place. I'm praying for you, Mike!

I watched a documentary about Stu Ungar not too long ago, and Mike was featured often throughout. Didn’t realize he and Stu were close...it was great to see him in the documentary. Sad to hear this news.

Man, I had just watched his first WPT win like a month ago too. Everyone was so happy for him, including myself again, despite having seen this years and years ago already and knowing the outcome. Very sad news.

Last edited:
The man is a legend, and it's sad to hear this.

The small silver lining is that he's at home for hospice. My father-in-law passed recently and spent his last few weeks in hospice at home. Passing at home surrounded by loved ones and comfortable in your own bed is a much better way to go than in a hospital.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom