Mid/advanced OH8 strategy (1 Viewer)

EL_Grande85

Pair
Supporter
Reaction score
I got a couple more posts that need made before I can post in classified thread.

Anyone up for discussing OH8? I would rank myself as an above average player, but still have soooo much to learn. Most of my play has been in full ring tournaments, but I feel OH8 cash vs tourney translates better than NLH.

....You gotta give us something to go off of here, I know you're just padding message score lol but you gotta help us out here.

Questions about it?

PLO specifically. Here is a situation that always gets me.

Let's say blinds are 100/200 and I have 10k stack. I have 10J53 on the BB. Somebody makes it 400 to go preflop with 4 callers and myself seeing a flop.

Flop comes 7s8s9h and we flop the nuts. Where do we go from here?

Do we open, check raise, or dare I say possibly check call...

You will have to forgive me for the delays...I'm at work and also typing on my phone.

Let's say blinds are 100/200 and I have 10k stack. I have 10J53 on the BB. Somebody makes it 400 to go preflop with 4 callers and myself seeing a flop.

You will have to forgive me for the delays...I'm at work and also typing on my phone.
five handed? check/ fold.

Do you have a flush re-draw? I would probably check/fold.

I guess I never considered folding here as an option. I've never discussed OH8 with anyone though.

Obv we don't hate a non-spade Ace on the turn for. What about calling flop and potting turn if a high brick come?

I guess I never considered folding here as an option. I've never discussed OH8 with anyone though.

Obv we don't hate a non-spade Ace on the turn for. What about calling flop and potting turn if a high brick come?

I probably wouldn't do that. If I wasn't in the BB I would have folded that hand pre-flop. If I'm playing PLO8. I prefer 5 cards in the mitt.

I agree with you, although when then blinds are relatively low and someone min-raises whenI'm BB, I do tend to get sucked in if there are several callers ahead of me.

Regardless, we can just use the situation of flopping nut straight, no flush redraws, and bogus low hand/draw.

Spend some time on here, that starting hand is trouble and leads to situations like this: you get the absolute best flop you can ever expect, and you're still not sure you're happy with it.

OH8 is all about the nuts, drawing to or relying on hands that can be dominated is dangerous.

Spend some time on here, that starting hand is trouble and leads to situations like this: you get the absolute best flop you can ever expect, and you're still not sure you're happy with it.

OH8 is all about the nuts, drawing to or relying on hands that can be dominated is dangerous.
Lol if we are being technical, we don't hate a non spade K. Also a non-spade A could cancel a low hand, etc. But I know what you're trying to say.

Yea, I've gotten fairly nitty with starting hands. Def learned the hard way about drawing to flushes.

Part of me want to charge the max to anyone on a flush draw, but at the same time if they make the nut low with a tiny flush then I'm F'd in the A.

You could be potentially chopping the high already, and if the low comes in you're getting quartered. Tough spot. I'm hoping this checks through all three streets.

There is literally no turn card that will help you.
You will need a K and Q perfect to win this or maybe get half. I wouldn’t stop playing this hand if you’re in this exact spot but you won’t succeed in plo8 if you’re calling raises preflop with these kinds of hands. It’s even worse than playing A6o for a raise in nlh

Speaking of getting quartered...when are we folding the nut low? Let's say we chase a flush draw w/nut low. We get to the river 3 handed, we miss our flush but have the low.

We face a pot bet and a call...
We face a pot bet and a repot...

Last edited:
O8 is such a nuanced game that I have a lot to learn in. I play a lot of PLO but it is tough to get players for a live hi/lo game as a lot don't understand how the low is calculated.

Speaking of getting quartered...when are we folding the nut low? Let's say we chase a flush draw w/nut low. We get to the river 3 handed, we miss our flush but have the low.

We face a Pot bet and a call...
We Face a pot bet and a repot...
Pot bet and call: For simplicity, let's say the pot is 1000. Villain A bets 1000, Villain B calls 1000. Assuming you're getting quartered, you'll call 1000, and receive 1000 of the 4000 pot. It costs you nothing to call. Sure, it's a possibility that you're getting 1/6, but that's unlikely. Plus, there's always a possibility that you alone have the nut low.

Pot bet followed by a repot: I'd fold.

O8 is such a nuanced game that I have a lot to learn in. I play a lot of PLO but it is tough to get players for a live hi/lo game as a lot don't understand how the low is calculated.
Haha I could see a live game being a pain the ass needing to split pots the majority of hands. I've never played live either.

Haha I could see a live game being a pain the ass needing to split pots the majority of hands. I've never played live either.

It isn't. Proper pot management and it's all handled pretty smoothly. We almost exclusively play split pot games

Oh yeah it is slow going for sure. Edit after Detroitdad: splitting the pots probably becomes cleaner the more you play too

It helps to keep the pot split in half as the hand goes on.
For sure, I'm just thinking as you have multiple people all in it would get tricky. I know that's not going to be common in cash games, but late stage tourneys it def becomes a thing.

For sure, I'm just thinking as you have multiple people all in it would get tricky. I know that's not going to be common in cash games, but late stage tourneys it def becomes a thing.

Hahaha often enough in our cash games. I play with a bunch of degenerates. PLO8 is probably the tamest game we play. Or choose to it lol

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom