Cash Game Microstakes Cash Setup (1 Viewer)

Vyrn

Sitting Out
Reaction score
I'm looking to buy a set of low-denom chips for some microstakes action that I get with some buddies a couple times a week. We often get a full table and since it's small stakes the rebuys happen frequently. So, for a $.05/.1 game with buy-ins generally from $10-25, what is the proper stack appropriation? I figured 20 nickels, 16 quarters and 5 $1 chips would be a good place to start for the $10 payers, with more hefty buyins receiving more high-denom chips.

I was thinking for buying chips, 2 racks of each denomination would be a good start, or maybe take one of the dollar racks and make them nickels. Does this sound like an adequate setup? What problems could I run into?

At these stakes, quarters are where you want to load up. Don't overbuy nickels. One rack is plenty, more than that and they just sit in stacks and become a burden when you have to count all ins.

Do something like this.

100 * 0.05
300 * 0.25
180 * 1
20 * 5

Bank 360 or over three buy ins of 10 per player.

This gives you 10 buy ins of 10/30/2, extra singles for bigger buy ins.

Rebuys are all singles and players can get change.

^^^Yup.

100 nickels will be plenty, unless your players limp and min raise a ton. In my game, nickels are hardly used besides blinds, limpers, and occasional raises to 35 or 40¢. After the first bet, everything else is done in quarters and dollars. A lot of what you need in the higher denoms depends on how deep you game plays as the night goes on. How many rebuys and add-ons do you need to support? Is $300 enough bank?

5¢ x 100
25¢ x 200
$1 x 180
$5 x 20
Total bank: $335

I just give the first 5 players a barrel of nickels, a barrel of quarters, and however many 1's to complete their buy-in. Later arrivals get quarters and 1's, and make change at the table as needed. Rebuys and add-ons are done in 1's when all the quarters are on the table.

^^^Yup.

100 nickels will be plenty, unless your players limp and min raise a ton. In my game, nickels are hardly used besides blinds, limpers, and occasional raises to 35 or 40¢. After the first bet, everything else is done in quarters and dollars. A lot of what you need in the higher denoms depends on how deep you game plays as the night goes on. How many rebuys and add-ons do you need to support? Is $300 enough bank?

5¢ x 100
25¢ x 200
$1 x 180
$5 x 20
Total bank: $335

I just give the first 5 players a barrel of nickels, a barrel of quarters, and however many 1's to complete their buy-in. Later arrivals get quarters and 1's, and make change at the table as needed. Rebuys and add-ons are done in 1's when all the quarters are on the table.
Buddy we've talked about this. You NEED a lot of nickels.

How else are you going to build terrifying towers????
WELL????

How much cash is on the table at the end of the night?

If you are playing $20 buy-ins with a full table and frequent rebuys I assume you probably have more than $400. If that is the case I would just go ahead and have a almost full rack of $5s in @Beakertwang's breakdown.

If you wanted to add more nickels I wouldn't blame you though. I like a lot of the smallest denom. Not more than two racks in total though.

You mentioned a lot of rebuys. That doesn’t sound like a limp fest so stick with 100 nickels, which actually is a lot because you can get by with less

wow, thanks for the help everybody, this is really good stuff. I'll take this all into consideration for sure, I think the single rack of nickels sounds more efficient after all, and as the stakes are sure to grow I may have to acquire a full rack of 5s.

Appreciate it!

wow, thanks for the help everybody, this is really good stuff. I'll take this all into consideration for sure, I think the single rack of nickels sounds more efficient after all, and as the stakes are sure to grow I may have to acquire a full rack of 5s.

Appreciate it!
Remember more is MOARRRRRR

Appreciate it!
Yeah, if your game could possibly have anywhere close to a full rack of 5's in play, you'll probably be good with 100 nickels. :D

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom