Micro Stakes (1 Viewer)

Silent_K

Sitting Out
Reaction score
I recently hosted my first NL20 game and it went pretty well. I have a blank chip set (white, red, green, black), but it really isn’t really conducive to .05/.10 unless I completely mix up the color/denominations, and that aggregates my OCD. I’ve been shopping for an entry level set with nickel and quarter denominations, but haven’t landed the plane yet.

I’ve read several times on here of folks playing $20 max but multiplying the buy-in by 10 and running it like a $1/$2 game. This is intriguing to me because it would allow me to use my existing chips in the correct denominations while keeping the stakes comfortable for my crew. Plus it might be more exiting to be betting in dollars rather than cents. Seems like a win/win.

My questions:

what have your experiences been like playing with multiplied chips? Is it confusing? More fun? Complicated to cash out? Worth it?
What are the drawbacks?

I’d love to hear both sides.
At some point I will buy a decent set, but I don’t want to waste any money on unnecessary denominations. My group will probably never play above $20-50 but I would want the set to be flexible too.

Thanks!

I’ve read several times on here of folks playing $20 max but multiplying the buy-in by 10 and running it like a $1/$2 game.
I do that often with my family playing at 1/10 of the actual value

Is it confusing?
10x is properly the least confusing as it just moving 1 decimal or removing 1 Zero

More fun?
I think it a preference thing, some people may like it more since they felt "richer" and can get their $100 denomination chip into the play

Complicated to cash out?
Nope, but usually we pass the small changes to the loser / banker when cashing out in dollars as it make thing way easier than getting the actual changes

Worth it?
If you mean worth it to get smaller denomination, it really depend if you had the spare cash or are you OCD about having the actual denom

What are the drawbacks?
I not sure about any drawback, since I been doing it over 10 years as 10c 50c as relabeling or custom ordering fracs denom is not an option at that time

I do owned micro stake poker chip now but I still rotate between my other regular stake set when playing with my family
F535745C-46B8-4929-AF9A-711BE4CD528B.jpeg
26A5EC36-1B06-4331-8D35-F8028F7AC0D2.jpeg

Being a Swede I’m lucky the 10x rule applies automaticly (since $1=10 SEK) and I don’t have to chase the $1200 racks of fracs. On the other hand, I do need a lot more of the sometimes equally expensive 100/500/1ks in my sets. But they’re usually easier to find than fracs.

It would tilt me to play with chips denominated 10x the Swedish Krona though, but I can certainly see the benefits in the $ case

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom