Micro stakes chip breakdown (1 Viewer)

doughboy63

Straight
Reaction score
So I’m pretty intrigued by all the “circus” games I’ve been reading about. We normally play .25/.50 Holdem.

I’d like to run a .05/.10 cash game to get my players used to some of these new games without worrying about the financials of learning new games.

I don’t want to buy new chips (I know, wrong forum) for this experiment, as we would likely move back up to .25/.50 once everyone gets a feel for the games.

Is the workhorse the nickel or the quarter?

What would a decent breakdown be for the fracs to cover a 6-8 player game? I’m guessing a $5 buyin with quite a few rebuys.

I have 220ish roulettes I can use as nickels and 180 quarters. I have plenty of $1s and $5 to cover rebuys.

Was thinking a barrel of nickels and $2 in quarters to start and fill with $1s. Sound about right?

I believe most of the circus games are played limit. As such, you will need a crap ton of what would be your small blind chip. I’m easing my players into the mixed games by playing HORSE. We also just had an 8 game mix by adding NLHE, PLO, and 2-7 Triple Draw to the HORSE games. Was good.

I didn’t realize they were set up as limit. I just briefly looked at the cards in the resource section and thought they looked fun. That does change things as far as chips go.

I believe most of the circus games are played limit. As such, you will need a crap ton of what would be your small blind chip. I’m easing my players into the mixed games by playing HORSE. We also just had an 8 game mix by adding NLHE, PLO, and 2-7 Triple Draw to the HORSE games. Was good.
^That. HORSE is a great place to start

I don't know how circusy we mean here, but my experience with games like drawmaha, SOHE, double board omaha type games came mostly at a meetup, and we played all those games pot limit. So a regular breakdown would work fine if you did it that way.

I had a breakdown once of 175 quarters and 125 nickels for nickel ante dealer's choice. That totals 50 even. I don't think any more than that is necessary.

That's a pretty small game, but I can understand what you're trying to do. At first I regretted buying custom poker chips for my home game with denominations on the chips. As the game grew and stakes increased, I needed more larger denomination chips and fewer smaller. I thought buying colored chips without denominations would have been smarter. I ended up buying more high denomination chips and now have a 1,000 chip rack for the game. In your situation, I'd suggest spending a few bucks for a 500-chip set of generic home game chips for your 5¢/10¢ game. The denominations are so small no one is going to go through the effort to introduce outside chips. Then, if the guys like the new games, you can step them up to your regular 25¢/50¢ blinds and eventually $1/$2. Good luck.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom