Micro Stakes Cali Colored Scheme Critique (1 Viewer)

JMC9389

Royal Flush
Supporter
Reaction score
Per the title.

I may or may not have these made next year. Plenty of time to play around with mock ups and make it perfect before I submit the order.

I plan on making a microstakes limit set with the DG Tiger 312 spot as the workhorse quarter chip. The value chip in this set would be the DG Yellow $5 for a 0.25 cent based chip fixed limit game. I also plan on making nickels and blue $1 chips to go along with this set to allow for the set to flex regular cash games as well with a whole new inlay theme that I already have in mind (but not yet designed) on the Diasquare mold.

I'm pretty married to the DG Tiger quarter as is. There's going to have to be a lot to convince me otherwise. How do you all like the idea of a red nickel? I see a lot of red fracs in Cali sets out there. I see green too, but I don't think it fits the set overall well enough. This one is nice and simple and has a vintage look to it.

The $1 chip jumps out at you as much as the quarter does. I initially wanted to go a mandarin red/bright white spot here but opted against it if I was going to go with a red frac. I'm open to suggestions on the $1, but I really do like it a lot. T

he $5 is where I'm struggling most. I definitely want to go a DG Yellow base chip with spots progressing from 3D14 to 4D14 from the $1 to $5 chip. I'm going for a faux Lakeshore color scheme. I initially had regular pink here as a spot color, but thought that it'd be too close to the DG Pink spot of the $1. The retro lavender looks much more muted in comparison, though, The pink pops more. I'm pretty set on purple as being the other spot color here.

Fire/flame away!

Newark Cash Set First Draft.png

I would have to work day green in somewhere if I was making this set - if DG Tiger as a base is locked, are you married to gray as its spot?

3 chips with a 14 spot variation and only one with a 12 spot would bother me too much. I’d like them all with 14 spots or with more variation across the set.

I do love that color combo for the quarter but don’t think it works with the color choices of the other chips. Also, an “orange” frac in Cali set is always a 0.50 to me so it feel strange as a quarter, but that’s minor.

3 chips with a 14 spot variation and only one with a 12 spot would bother me too much. I’d like them all with 14 spots or with more variation across the set.

I do love that color combo for the quarter but don’t think it works with the color choices of the other chips. Also, an “orange” frac in Cali set is always a 0.50 to me so it feel strange as a quarter, but that’s minor.
I would have to work day green in somewhere if I was making this set - if DG Tiger as a base is locked, are you married to gray as its spot?
I thought about DG green as part of the nickel. Maybe as a quarter pie with some shade of red?

Newark Cash Set Quarter Pie nickel.png
This should provide a bit of the variation that @RichMahogany alluded to. I'm not married to gray edge spots, but I'm looking for the spot to be somewhat muted, as I want the DG Tiger to stand out a bit. I have the Outpost $2 chip in mind as the inspiration, but I don't want to directly rip if off by going with light blue as the edge spot color. :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:

Would you consider something more on the purple side of red for your nickel?
Perhaps, but I haven't decided if I would go a tournament add on in the future. Probably not given how many tournament sets I have, but I don't want to be redundant in selecting both purple nickels and a T500 chip.

Does anyone have any thoughts on how the colors flow between the $1 and $5 chip? Any dirty stack or pot issues that one can see? I don't think so but it helps to get different eyes on it.

Side Note: It's a shame CPC doesn't offer the "fat" 3D14 spots like with the Lakeshores. I'd be all over it for the $1 chip at least with this set, maybe the $5 too.

I know you are married to a tiger quarter but it just does not fit. The red would look great as the quarter imo. It is interesting that if you change the position of the blue, yellow, and orange chips, you get a Mapes lineup. the orange just does not look good next to the red frac. So what can we do here? You want DG yellow as a 5er (great choice) but have mocked canary. Micro limit is a focus but you don’t want to go orange 5 and red frac there either...hmmmm. What about this as a starting point?
31C7BC0D-A0C9-46B6-B287-341F93CBFF79.jpeg

I’d ditch the DG green In favor of light green. The other bases are in your face (good) but at some point it gets too much of the skittles effect. I put some charcoal on the orange five to keep it muted but...this is a 5 minute mock.
limit with yellow/orange works. If you must have a orange quarter in the set then the red frac must go...
5081223A-643F-4EC3-B9B9-9053E80E6E07.jpeg
This could be a starting point. The chocolates and mint green go well together, so does tiger and charcoal. The other two are Lakeshores and well loved. If the colors speak to you then it is a matter of deciding how they look in stacks. Rich made a good point earlier about variation So play with the spots.

Have fun designing your set. It’s the best part of chipping!

I know you are married to a tiger quarter but it just does not fit. The red would look great as the quarter imo. It is interesting that if you change the position of the blue, yellow, and orange chips, you get a Mapes lineup. the orange just does not look good next to the red frac. So what can we do here? You want DG yellow as a 5er (great choice) but have mocked canary. Micro limit is a focus but you don’t want to go orange 5 and red frac there either...hmmmm. What about this as a starting point?
View attachment 592467
I’d ditch the DG green In favor of light green. The other bases are in your face (good) but at some point it gets too much of the skittles effect. I put some charcoal on the orange five to keep it muted but...this is a 5 minute mock.
limit with yellow/orange works. If you must have a orange quarter in the set then the red frac must go...
View attachment 592474This could be a starting point. The chocolates and mint green go well together, so does tiger and charcoal. The other two are Lakeshores and well loved. If the colors speak to you then it is a matter of deciding how they look in stacks. Rich made a good point earlier about variation So play with the spots.

Have fun designing your set. It’s the best part of chipping!
I'm definitely flexible on the nickel. I'm not sure how I'd have liked the red right next to the DG Tiger in a lineup either, but I'm not a great fan of the brown colors that CPC offers. I do really like having DG Tiger as the workhorse chip. I want my players to have to wear sunglasses while playing with these :D

A charcoal edge spot on the DG Tiger in a 312 spot could be interesting. I do see where you're going with the spot progression on the second mockup. I'm going to play around with nickels a little later on today.

Based off of one of the many(many!) Cali mock-ups I’ve done over the years and will probably never have made

View attachment 592491

I toyed around with a solid green frac as well. Not sure if a light green base would work here. If I go the tournament add on route a few years down the line, I think I'd be using a retro green or green base for the T25, and I wouldn't want to repeat colors.

View attachment 592478
something like this could be cool
I like to alternate the perspective of the spot patterns
I like this idea a lot too, but cost is a bit of a consideration here. Especially if I'm going to buy 800 of the quarters and have the set be 1400 chips in total, I'm looking to keep the workhorse chip to a L1 spot pattern and nothing else above a L3 or L4 cost tier overall. I'm already trying to come up with a draft up of a good email to David to try and convince him to allow for me to be on a monthly payment plan for 6 months until I can pay the off and make the order official :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:

I'm definitely flexible on the nickel. I'm not sure how I'd have liked the red right next to the DG Tiger in a lineup either, but I'm not a great fan of the brown colors that CPC offers. I do really like having DG Tiger as the workhorse chip. I want my players to have to wear sunglasses while playing with these :D

A charcoal edge spot on the DG Tiger in a 312 spot could be interesting. I do see where you're going with the spot progression on the second mockup. I'm going to play around with nickels a little later on today.
Make sure you have samples. Imo the light green is CPCs best green and it goes well with all 3 browns. Pink could work with green and you stated funds are an issue. Solid light green is a winner in this set too. Have fun, you are most of the way there...but I’d be working hard on the inlay first. That will change how the colors and spots look. Another thing to consider is the mold. I like the MD50 but know that stack height differences are more pronounced with this mold and it is more expensive. If at all possible to order and pay for the set before 2021, you get 2020 prices. Isn’t a price increase coming? In that case don’t worry that the inlay and/or chip design could change, David is a great person to deal with.

Good luck.

Made some small changes to the cash set and added a $20 and $100 chip.

Also mocked up a T10000 base tournament set. Eager to hear all of your thoughts on both!

Newark Cash Set High Denoms Draft 1.png
Newark Tournament First Draft.png

Overall I like it.

My only change would be on the dayglo tiger chip. Charcoal spot is boring on a set where just about everything else has some pop to it - purple, green, or yellow spot maybe

Overall I like it.

My only change would be on the dayglo tiger chip. Charcoal spot is boring on a set where just about everything else has some pop to it - purple, green, or yellow spot maybe
I'll tinker a bit, but it'll be really hard to not have some kind of dirty stack issues if I go with a brighter edge spot on the DG Tiger quarter when put next to the green nickel and blue and arc yellow/pink chips.

I would definitely avoid using Canary as the base for a Cali colored $5 chip if I were you, unless you're going for a retro looking set with more muted/aged looking tones (which it appears like you are not going for). You definitely want to use DG Yellow or DG Arc Yellow as the base.

I would definitely avoid using Canary as the base for a Cali colored $5 chip if I were you, unless you're going for a retro looking set with more muted/aged looking tones (which it appears like you are not going for). You definitely want to use DG Yellow or DG Arc Yellow as the base.
I rushed in redoing the mock up. I do indeed intend on using a DG Yellow base for the $5. I already fixed it in my own files. I'll repost later tonight with a couple of other small changes I made if I don't get absolutely killed at work again like I did yesterday.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom