Method for removing hotstamps? (1 Viewer)

cheque_raise

Two Pair
Reaction score
Trying to find out if anyone knows if there is a way to remove hotstamps without milling. Hoping to put a gear label on top once complete, but I don’t want to be able to see any evidence of the hotstamps through the new label. I was thinking possibly lacquer thinner might would do the trick. Thanks for the help!!

I believe some people "sand" them off, but I never have. I don't think you'd get as good as a result. If you're going to go through the effort of Gear labels, I'd do a milling rig and be completely satisfied with the result.

I believe some people "sand" them off, but I never have. I don't think you'd get as good as a result. If you're going to go through the effort of Gear labels, I'd do a milling rig and be completely satisfied with the result.
What type of bit is used for milling? Or do you know of a link where someone discusses it? Thanks for the help

Trying to find out if anyone knows if there is a way to remove hotstamps without milling. Hoping to put a gear label on top once complete, but I don’t want to be able to see any evidence of the hotstamps through the new label. I was thinking possibly lacquer thinner might would do the trick. Thanks for the help!!
If you Mill, even if there is some hot stamp left, you can't see or feel it under the Label. The milling makes the stamp bottom flat underneath. It won't be much of an issue...

I don't think the presence of a micro-thin layer of metal is going to have an effect on whether or not you can see an indication of a labelled-over hotstamp. A greater effect would be seen with the "flashing" if it hasn't been scraped off.

If there is no flashing, filling would help if you're not sanding or milling.

I heard non-acetone nail polish remover applied directly to the HS will remove them. I’ve never tried and not sure I’d ever want to, but...
If it does work, it’ll require some scraping or the labels will look lumpy.

Milling is best because you can put a laminated sticker in the new recess and it will look like a brand new chip.

If the chip is well used and the hot stamp is worn flat, you can probably overlabel with a nonlaminated sticker.

If you’re just looking for a relabel, you can also mill a RHC solid chip. There’s plenty of those out there and it will work a lot better than chemically removing a lovely mint hotstamp. If you chemically remove a hotstamp without milling it you’re going to be able to see and feel the hotstamp’s indentations underneath the new inlay.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom