Memphis? (1 Viewer)

Payback

Full House
Supporter
Reaction score
Hey all need some help since I trust you fine folks, so thanks in advance for helping if you can. Basically, I have a job offer on the table right now (maybe another one or two coming) that would take me from Chicago to Memphis so I'm looking for people who have lived there, currently live there, or have spent considerable time there.

Here's where I'm at:

History: I've lived in the Chicagoland area all of my life, minus three years in MI (west side). Love where I'm at right now, very comfortable, know the area, people, lifestyle, etc.

Family: I have a wife and son that would be making the move with me so he's not school age yet, but getting very close.

Upsides: Pay better, have lower tax basis, provide more opportunity for advancement and overall probably be a better job as I'm not currently happy.

Downsides: My parents, brother, sister, and grandparents all live within 25 minutes now leaving them would be tough. Obviously my poker group which I love is there. We play 2x a week so it's like another family. I currently own my house so I need to rent/sell a house (I already own property in another state that I don't live in and not sure if I want 2 of them...), farther from my wife's family (3-4 hours drive more past the 11 hours now, basically makes this a 2 day drive instead of one. Also, I haven't been to Memphis in a very long time and am planning on getting down there for a weekend soon, but in the meantime I have a decision to make and need more information.

Impressions of the school district (would be employer)? What did you like about living there? Any place to specifically look at for housing/rent? Anything you didn't like about the city? How bad is the crime really? Overall weather for the year? Food? Any chance of good pizza as I love my deep dish? :( Poker? I know Tunica is about an hour, but what's the home game scene like? I think that's all....Lot to process right now...

Congrats on the job offer. They'd be lucky to have you.

Good luck with your decision. It's not easy leaving family.

Not a Memphis expert for sure. Haven't lived there. But maybe more so than anybody else on this forum (I don't know of any Memphians here...)

Memphis is a large city - the largest city in TN with almost (maybe now over?) a million people. Like any large city, you can find just about anything depending on where you look, traffic sucks, and a higher percentage of the random people you will encounter are generally obnoxious.

The economic depression and crime throughout most of the city proper are real issues, and aren't going to go away. Unless you can afford to live in certain suburbs (very expensive, relatively speaking to the rest of this state, but maybe fairly comparable to where you are now...) safety would be a daily concern.

Weather is much better. You can toss the giant overstuffed coat and the snow scraper (well, you might wish you had them for a 3-day period every three years - you'd still get by without them.) Chances of getting a good pizza? Zero. Chances of getting good BBQ? Infinity percent higher than your current location. :p

I couldn't really advise you without more info on the position you are being offered (location and how much of an overall improvement is it from your current one.) My advice wouldn't be worth much anyway as I know exactly nothing about the Memphis and surrounding schools. I could look them up on GreatSchools etc. and have a better frame of reference than you do for how they really are relatively speaking to some other schools in the state, but that's about it. But given the family/life issues you listed, I'd generally recommend to stay where you are, unless the difference in work fulfullment/happiness factor will be huge.

Good luck sir. I have nothing to offer other than I've been in a similar situation over the last few weeks. I was presented with a very attractive offer (40% increase in salary, full re-location, yadda yadda yadda) but didn't love the job. And in order for us (just the two of us in the equation) to uproot and move halfway across the country for a job that I just "liked"....well, no amount of compensation can make up the gap. It was a really tough decision - but our current job situations are different (I'm perfectly happy and wasn't actively looking...it literally fell into my lap via a recruiter).

Good luck with your decision. I have heard many great things about Memphis. Unfortunately I was only there once for a conference and my car was stolen across the street from the PD. So I might be a little jaded. But if your into Bbq and blues music you can't do much better.

Imo....if you love living in Chicago (current job aside), you'll hate Memphis. Throw in leaving close family behind, and it would be a no-brainer decision for me. Current poker environment is a bonus, but would not stop me from making a change..... but not to Memphis. You need to spend a week or two there (not just a weekend) and really explore the area. Stay safe.

@bluegill lives in or near that area, I believe.

One other major point that I feel needs to be made in Memphis' favor - it is difficult to overstate how much better TN is as a state than IL.

-your children will be eligible for free community college. Unless this job opportunity is VERY lucrative for an education job, they (and possibly yourselves) will be eligible for state-subsidized health care as well.

-We have the best roads of any state that I've visited in the past several years, and it isn't close. Construction projects are not ubiquitous, and are handled as efficiently and unobtrusively as possible.

-There are zero toll roads in TN. State income tax? What the hell is that?

-Waiting in line at the DMV? Fuggedaboutit! You have to go there exactly one time, to initially get a TN license. After that you just renew online or by mail until age 70 or something when you have to start getting your vision retested. Oh, and vehicle registrations run $50-$75 per year depending on county.

-We haven't had a governor indicted in almost 40 years. :p

In short, everyone that lives in Memphis wants to move to Nashville or Knoxville. Absolutely no one that lives in Memphis wants to move to KY or IL. You should just skip the middleman and investigate Nashville jobs. We have a booming home game scene as well (almost all hold em, but we can convert them. :sneaky:)

One other major point that I feel needs to be made in Memphis' favor - it is difficult to overstate how much better TN is as a state than IL.

-your children will be eligible for free community college. Unless this job opportunity is VERY lucrative for an education job, they (and possibly yourselves) will be eligible for state-subsidized health care as well.

-We have the best roads of any state that I've visited in the past several years, and it isn't close. Construction projects are not ubiquitous, and are handled as efficiently and unobtrusively as possible.

-There are zero toll roads in TN. State income tax? What the hell is that?

-Waiting in line at the DMV? Fuggedaboutit! You have to go there exactly one time, to initially get a TN license. After that you just renew online or by mail until age 70 or something when you have to start getting your vision retested. Oh, and vehicle registrations run $50-$75 per year depending on county.

-We haven't had a governor indicted in almost 40 years. :p

In short, everyone that lives in Memphis wants to move to Nashville or Knoxville. Absolutely no one that lives in Memphis wants to move to KY or IL. You should just skip the middleman and investigate Nashville jobs. We have a booming home game scene as well (almost all hold em, but we can convert them. :sneaky:)

If I could get to Nashville I 100% would. I have some family friends, who are like second parents to me living in Dovor and extended family in Nashville so that would obviously be why I'd prefer there. The issue there is the same issue I have in IL. No one wants to pay my teacher salary as I have a doctorate, I'd make more than most assistant principals. The first year in Memphis they get a slight discount (still more $ than my current job), but the potential to ramp up quickly in the next 5 years is very high, not to mention I can probably get into administration again within a year or two since there are so many schools. They are so desperate for teachers that they will take anybody with a pulse. Beyond that no district wants to higher outside administrators who they don't know so finding an admin job is nearly impossible for that reason. I figure a couple of years in Memphis and then I can start exploring other options if I don't like it like moving back to Chicago or heading to Nashville.

My wife and I are stuck right now.... Basically if I could work there and spend weekends here I would. Shame they aren't closer together :mad:

Reactions: Ben
Congrats! They would be lucky to have you!

In this situation, to decide what to do, I'd:

1. Get samples. (I mean, go down there and take a look around where you're going to work and live). The best advice to people buying chips is also pretty good advice in this case as well. Commuting sucks time from your life. Keep it as short as possible. The community you live in defines your son's childhood. Good schools, lots of friends, connections not only for him, but for you and your wife.

2. Think about what it means to be further away from the rest of your family. Local Grandparents are great in helping to raise great healthy and happy kids. It's not necessary, but grandma and grandpa being a part of your family's (and especially your son's) everyday life enriches everyone's life. AND they're a great back stop.

3. Listen carefully to what your wife says. Listen even more carefully to what she doesn't say.

Quick update: Just officially declined the offer today as I wasn't 100% sure it was the best fit at this point. Not to mention timeline wise I couldn't make it work as they wanted me down there by labor day. I have a grandmother in hospice and probably won't make it till labor day so I'm not moving away till she passes. I left the door open though, as I know they need someone and said if they haven't filled the job in a month to give me a call and we maybe can make things work then.

In the meantime, another place called and looks like it would be a great fit. A family member of one of my poker players works in the area and confirmed it is as great as I suspected. We still can't figure out a time that works to interview, but I'm hopeful that we can soon and maybe get the offer from there. I would 100% take that one.

Ya, I always look really hard when a place is "desperate" for employees.. there's a reason!

Update

The Piss'd N Broke Poker Room is heading to Bluff City (Appropriate maybe?)!!!

I was offered another position at another school and was able to get down there, spend some time at the school, look around for housing, and absolutely loved it. This building was very flexible regarding start times, and other transition things which aided in my decision. My grandmother also passed away the other week so that is no longer factors into things either.

My wife and I are definitely not looking forward to moving away from family, friends, and poker, but the job potential is significantly higher. Not to mention no state income tax, better weather, and a fully updated home that is 5 br. 2 full bath, 2 half baths that we are able to rent for the same price as my current home will rent for in IL. Crazy isn't it?

I just provided work my letter of resignation today and thus started the clock as my contract has a 60 day clause in the middle of the school year. Every other employee has been let out early in the last 10 years so my hope is that I can get out at 30 days, but as for now my principal hasn't given the go on it. Overall, with the way things are going lately at work it was very satisfying thing to do despite the fact that my wife and I have given 10 years to this organization.

I'm already got the approval to host a meetup at some point so at least the important things are taken care of :whistle: :whistling:

I was going to ask about a meetup, and then I read your last paragraph. Looking forward to it.

Congrats on the new job and house. Please keep us posted.

Best of luck, Bill. Hope it all works out exactly as you wish. (y) :thumbsup:

Bluff City, lol.... that's pretty funny for an avid poker player. Over near Bristol, correct? Gorgeous country, very friendly people.

Hopefully this won't sound flippant but I have found two things about this type of life decisions.

First is the scary choice is usually the right one.

The other is that it all boils down to two choices. Live where you want to and take the best work you can get or live where you have to in order to do the work you want to do.

Good for you!

I'm glad you found something you're excited about.

Thanks!

Congrats! Good luck to you and your family!

Thank you!

"Piss'd N Broke in Bluff City" Nice ring to it for the meet up!

David

We have a winner for a name.

Best of luck, Bill. Hope it all works out exactly as you wish. (y) :thumbsup:

Bluff City, lol.... that's pretty funny for an avid poker player. Over near Bristol, correct? Gorgeous country, very friendly people.

We will be about 5 minutes west from Collierville. We are excited to explore the area more. The people were so nice.

Great news Bill!!

All the best in Bluff City, brother...

Oh, and I'm IN!!! :p

Locking you in for a seat and a bottle share.

Im riding with him!

Excellent!

Hopefully this won't sound flippant but I have found two things about this type of life decisions.

First is the scary choice is usually the right one.

The other is that it all boils down to two choices. Live where you want to and take the best work you can get or live where you have to in order to do the work you want to do.

Not at all flippant. Definitely the latter for me in this case and since it's the scary one I'm hoping this will be the home run I'm looking for in the end. :D

I'm already got the approval to host a meetup at some point so at least the important things are taken care of :whistle: :whistling:

In.

Oh, and congrats! :D

We will be about 5 minutes west from Collierville. We are excited to explore the area more. The people were so nice.

Err... what? Something is rotten in Denmark. :confused:

Bluff City, TN is in the Tri-Cities area (far northeast TN, nearly on the NC/VA borders.) Collierville is a suburb of Memphis (nearly on the MS/AR borders.) They're about an 8-hour drive apart. :eek:

Apparently there is a Bluff City, AR as well but it is in the western part of the state near Texarkana and appears to be miniscule, so I'm guessing that isn't it. What did I miss?

Wow, congrats bro. I'll figure out a way to make your meetup! Happy for you, but also sad you're moving further away.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom