Meet-up Philosophy

pltrgyst

Straight Flush
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't mean to step on anyone's toes in particular here, just offering my personal opinion as food for thought:

I'm seeing more and more meet-ups where locals predominate, months before the event, and PCF/CTers are on waiting lists. I'd personally like to attend more of these events, but I really don't care to waste my time traveling and playing with a bunch of your locals; I want to play against/with the poker and chip aficionados with whom I'm familiar from these forums.

If you're going to hold a PCF/CT meet-up, IMO, it should be primarily for PCF/CT members, rather than locals. IMO, the way to do it is to open it up to PCF/CT members for as long as possible, and then to open it up to your locals for unfilled seats during the last week or so.

Unless you do this. you make your meet-ups much less attractive to the PCF/CT community, particularly those who for whatever reason, cannot make long-term plans.

If I'm the only one who feels this way, then never mind...

Mr Tree

Straight Flush
Reaction score
It's hard because squeezing your locals out of your biggest event for the year is bad for business. I have close to a 50/50 mix right now with a slight lean towards PCFers.

slisk250

Straight Flush
Reaction score
I think both of you make a good point. I think one way it could be handled is to have a special game that happens before everyone else shows up. Nothing wrong with a full day of cards and food. PCF/CT chippies start at 10am and then after lunch the big crowd could join in. Best of both world's?

I'm planning on bringing a few chips to the AZ meet up. Will someone win them who doesn't give a damn about chips? I need to think about this. Maybe I'll just give them to the host :) (James can hit the like post button now).

courage

Full House
Reaction score
^this is part of it but undoubtedly true. The fact is there are limited seats at any event. I advertise months in advance and if PCF/CT won't commit in timely fashion, there isn't much else a host can do. It's very difficult to tell your core group of weekly players that seats won't be available to them for the year's biggest event. I've also had locals of passing acquaintance hear of the game and ask to get in. Those folks and the occasional players at my regular game are told to call ahead to see if seats are open, but realistically it's not gonna happen. The difficulty is that the group of dedicated locals can now fills 2 tables of the 4 I run. Nevertheless, I don't recall turning away any chip nerds.

manamongkids

Full House
Reaction score
Seems like from reading the threads on meet-ups, the flake rate for PCF or CTers is a lot higher than the regs. Obviously there is a reason why, many of them have to travel and make arrangements. Interest at the beginning might be very high, but at the end of the day, which % of PCF and CTers who say they are interested, actually make the trek to the meetup. Would be interested in seeing this actual % from the respective organizers/hosts

No knock on anyone, just my 2c

Schmendr1ck

4 of a Kind
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've hosted one meetup (HPI this past July), and I announced it to CT, HP and my locals simultaneously. My concern was that I wouldn't get enough locals, and I didn't want folks traveling cross-country to play in a one-table main event. This worked for me and my group, as I was able to generate enough interest to have a three-table tourney and 1-2 cash tables for the remainder of the weekend, and nobody from either group was turned away. YMMV.

As an attendee, I like the notion of announcing a meetup to the online community before announcing it to your locals. It gives me a chance to lock up a seat before they get filled with the host's regs. However, I also think Mr. Tree makes a very good point. At some point you have to open the event to your locals to build interest and allow them to make plans. For a weekend-long event, I don't think it's fair to only give the local crowd a week's notice.

abby99

Full House
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No, Larry, you're not alone on this.

For the first few years on CT, official site-sanctioned meet-ups were restricted to forum members. New members had to be vouched for by an established member. More recently, meetups have morphed into open events to which locals and forum members alike are invited. IMO the current versions aren't really meet-ups, and the only remnant left from the meetup era is the traditional commemorative chip.

Times have changed, and I miss the forum-members-only meetups.

Added thought: I'm not criticizing open events. My only issue is calling them meet-ups when they're actually open events.

Ben

Full House
Reaction score
Nevertheless, I don't recall turning away any chip nerds.

^^This is the key factor IMO. Lockup list or no lockup list, these guys have made it clear that they will do everything possible to accommodate any and all CT/PCF'ers that actually wish to attend when it comes down to it. I don't know of anyone being turned away who was actually ready and willing to attend, and if it ever happens I would be shocked.

Oh and if I'm ever actually able to get a meetup together myself (thinking about next year maybe...) attendance will be unlimited. No parking issues. (Hey these guys have me smoked in almost every area when it comes to running a great game, but at least I've got one thing going for me. :cool:)

kirchhausen

Flush
Reaction score
Both points are valid. I think exposing the locals to the game while explaining it is a CT/PCF meetup is actually a good way of expanding the number of people participating in these fora. Even though I am more of a lurker than an active participant (especially on this site), I did join both CT and PCF after having been invited as a local to krafticus's meetup a few years ago. My brother Chippy is the same way and he is now a well know participator/degen on the CT/PCF circuit.

I think maybe the balance might be in deciding which locals to invite. Invite the regs who are in for a good time, like to get their gambool on, have good poker (and social) etiquette. Explain to them this is a special event and not just your regular game ( I remember when my first meetup at Krafticus' I was super excited to be included, it felt very special to be included). Mybe not invite people with bad poker etiquette or social skills, or those who you can only round up once in a blue moon. I guess what I am saying is make it almost a reward for being a good local.

Anyway, It worked for me. Now I just need to post more than 15 times between now and next year so I can vote in round of the HOF thread. Even as a noob I love seeing all the pretty chipes. :)

Mental Nomad

Full House
Reaction score
I second the idea of billing it as a get-together and game for chippers (chip afficionados), but allowing regulars to "join them." It can help grow the hobby, and even if not, it can remind your regulars that they're getting access to something special when they play your sets.

The lone chipper in a poker crowd can be a freak, but when the locals crowd sees there are others, the freak becomes the member of the elite that the rest are privileged to know.

Last edited:

courage

Full House
Reaction score
If you're going to hold a PCF/CT meet-up, IMO, it should be primarily for PCF/CT members, rather than locals.

Just wanted to clarify that I agree with this. I always give priority to chippers and don't turn them away and view the event as primarily to celebrate chips and poker with chippers. However, I also would not presume to tell a meat-up host how to run their show. They have too much time and money invested.

No, Larry, you're not alone on this.

For the first few years on CT, official site-sanctioned meet-ups were restricted to forum members. New members had to be vouched for by an established member. More recently, meetups have morphed into open events to which locals and forum members alike are invited. IMO the current versions aren't really meet-ups, and the only remnant left from the meetup era is the traditional commemorative chip.

Times have changed, and I miss the forum-members-only meetups.

Added thought: I'm not criticizing open events. My only issue is calling them meet-ups when they're actually open events.

I think the term meet-up has been expanded by other hobbies so to me it's not a misnomer. This isn't a rant against Marsha, but I think the philosophy of meet-ups have changed, and for the better. I don't have the benefit of being around for the forum-only events, but my event started after becoming more involved with mixed games and berg's hosted events so that was a model. I tried to follow the CT meet-up model, but the policy communicated was imo onerous and antiquated and basically designed to squash the spirit of what it was trying to achieve. IIRC: 1) no outsiders (non-forum) attendees, 2) mandatory name tags, 3) mandatory commemorative chips, and some others I don't recall. No CT incentives were given to the host, just a list of rules. Rather than risk sanction, tbh it was far easier to host an open event. I'm not sure many could pull off an event according to the CT policy if professional dealers are desired (who don't happen to be chip nerds), and the commemorative chip is becoming quite a problem for all hosts if custom clay is desired and CPC minimum of 300 is the only act in town. Many of my locals have a better appreciation and understanding of chips because of their interaction with PCF/CT, and they love to hear the stories from here. I encourage them to join and participate and maybe one day a couple of them will.

I did join both CT and PCF after having been invited as a local to krafticus's meetup a few years ago. My brother Chippy is the same way and he is now a well know participator/degen on the CT/PCF circuit.

Good to hear and he is indeed!

guinness

Flush
Reaction score
I haven't held one since 2009 (over 60 people attended, maybe half were chippers) but my rule was ALL chip nerds have a lock. If an issue came up where seats were limited, locals got bumped (but I never considered a wait list, I just made it happen). As far as "how can you not include the locals in the biggest game" type thing, well then its a locals game with chippers invited vs the other way around. Any game where people travel far should get the lock. How can they not?

k9dr

Royal Flush
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have only hosted a small meet-up, but I have travelled to almost all the others. I think chippers should have first shot at the lock list, but locals are necessary to round out the games. If we omitted locals we would miss out on some great personalities too - Kentucky Guinness, Camo Hat Pat, Kimmie, etc.

jbutler

Royal Flush
Reaction score
my meet up experience is limited to NH/MA/MD area gatherings and imo they have all had a mix of CT/PCFers and locals and have all been amazing. the first meet up i went to was tim's 60-person tourney and i was completely hooked.

as far as the official CT-sponsored meet up regulations, those were a complete disaster. it's not an exaggeration to say that submitting for federal contracts is a less absurd process.

i guess i could see the point in restricting it to members only, but let's be honest: any forum-centered gathering will have a high enough percentage of awkward anti-social aspergersy nutjobs anyway. diluting that group with non-mom's-basement-dwelling locals can only be a positive thing.

it's a no-brainer that members should have preference and i guess i take for granted that a meet up will be well-attended, but i do take schmendrick's point above that if there is not a sufficiently sizable pool of members locking up, it becomes necessary to supplement with locals to guarantee the game goes.

guinness

Flush
Reaction score
I just want to add one additional point. Including locals also advertises (and in many cases) adds new members to the team. So I believe that including locals is good, but also giving everyone on PFC/CT the opportunity to get dibs is important.

Mr Tree

Straight Flush
Reaction score
There are a fair number of velvet rope Hitching Post members. (My best friend growing up, another of our friends we've known forever, sister-in-law, brother-in-law, my friend who makes regular WSOP Circuit event trips with me, etc.) and also regulars who are the Kimmies of the Hitching Post. Folks who it isn't the same without them. Now admittedly I do have some second stringers on the list for S@P right now. Folks Id have been happy to extend an invitation if there were empty seats. But I can take up a good 15-20 seats with regulars who I want to be there and I will never apologize for slotting them in from the word go.

Pltrygeist I can't help but wonder if you are asking about S@P specifically as the only other meetup coming up soon (BBotB) doesnt (to my knowledge) have a waiting list. If you are worried about making travel arrangements while on an alt list PM me. I haven't out and out turned anyone away yet.

abby99

Full House
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I understand where you're coming from, Chris, and I do realize that you've never attended a member-only meetup. The first three events I attended were forum-members-only events (WCB II, WCB III, and LSR I), and those events had a distinctly different feel compared to the open events that I've attended. I've enjoyed both. Maybe I'm just being nostalgic.

courage

Full House
Reaction score
I understand where you're coming from, Chris, and I do realize that you've never attended a member-only meetup. The first three events I attended were forum-members-only events (WCB II, WCB III, and LSR I), and those events had a distinctly different feel compared to the open events that I've attended. I've enjoyed both. Maybe I'm just being nostalgic.
All good, Marsha. Rereading my post it may have come across as defensive or rude but wasn't my intent. Nothing wrong with nostalgia!

Poker Zombie

Royal Flush
Reaction score
Since most of the PCF'ers and CT'ers are traveling, they are also taking time off of work - sometimes for many days - just to attend an event. The best meet-ups should run a long weekend. This gives chippers a chance to meet, swap chips, examine coveted sets IRL, and play with those very chips, while locals are still sucking it up at work.

Friday (or even Thursday) are your "chipper exclusive" events, during the day while locals are at work. Sure, a few hardcore/non-day job locals may show up looking for a game, but I suspect they will be very few.

The Main Event has to be open to locals to guarantee a full house, and to avoid alienating your regulars.

Mr Tree

Straight Flush
Reaction score
Since most of the PCF'ers and CT'ers are traveling, they are also taking time off of work - sometimes for many days - just to attend an event. The best meet-ups should run a long weekend. This gives chippers a chance to meet, swap chips, examine coveted sets IRL, and play with those very chips, while locals are still sucking it up at work.

Friday (or even Thursday) are your "chipper exclusive" events, during the day while locals are at work. Sure, a few hardcore/non-day job locals may show up looking for a game, but I suspect they will be very few.

The Main Event has to be open to locals to guarantee a full house, and to avoid alienating your regulars.

I approve this statement. This is exactly how it works out to me.

bergs

Full House
Reaction score
I don't think there is a stomach for a pure chipper meet up anymore - we're not going to stand around and stare at chipsets all day - we're going to want to play poker. If you have locals that enjoy playing and have good personalities, and CT/PCF folks that enjoy playing and have good personalities, then it's almost criminal not to bring them together for a 3-4 day extravaganza of beer, BBQ, poker, and chips.

To pltygsts' point - I think if someone is willing to travel to your game and appreciates poker chips, you need to do whatever you need to do to get them in. I can't recall anyone at the MA/NH/CHI/KY meetups turning anyone away because of capacity. I had 45 people in a 1100 square foot condo on 3 floors (and I'm not sure I'd do that again, but I wouldn't turn anyone away who wanted to fly in).

Trihonda

Straight Flush
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'll add my two cents.

I agree, the more chippers attending, the better. I always post online well in advance to give chippers first dibs, and will always give chippers a seat over a local. I invite locals in the last few weeks to fill seats, and only on the condition these locals know it's a chip event. It's about the chips, the poker, and the online community melding into reality as people get to meet/socialize with others they've known online. The locals I invite appreciate this, or the don't get invited. Some have been converts and have subsequently joined this forum after attending the First MTTD.

Tha said, it'd be nice if I could fill my event with only chippers. It's not too late to lock in for the MTTD 2! :)

Chicken Rob

Full House
Reaction score
my meet up experience is limited to NH/MA/MD area gatherings and imo they have all had a mix of CT/PCFers and locals and have all been amazing. the first meet up i went to was tim's 60-person tourney and i was completely hooked.

as far as the official CT-sponsored meet up regulations, those were a complete disaster. it's not an exaggeration to say that submitting for federal contracts is a less absurd process.

i guess i could see the point in restricting it to members only, but let's be honest: any forum-centered gathering will have a high enough percentage of awkward anti-social aspergersy nutjobs anyway. diluting that group with non-mom's-basement-dwelling locals can only be a positive thing.

it's a no-brainer that members should have preference and i guess i take for granted that a meet up will be well-attended, but i do take schmendrick's point above that if there is not a sufficiently sizable pool of members locking up, it becomes necessary to supplement with locals to guarantee the game goes.

That game at Tim's was my first CT event of any kind as well. I was hooked enough that I became the site host for the NE event (I have the advantage of living alone, well, and advantage for a week of poker without pissing off the other home dwellers). I also am making efforts to never turn anyone away, local or forum member. The new basement project should help with that. I think we could do 8 tables this year if pushed. Thank god it will not come to that.

Anyway, my take has always been that forum members should get priority seating. My locals understand that seating is "as available" once the forum degens fly in. I also am glad to have met some of the non-forum folks at Krafty's and Courage's. Donk the Dave is a classic not yet mentioned.

Anyway, I assume the OP was targeting the wait list by Mr. Tree, and he gave fair warning to lock up seats a long time back.

Jeff

Full House
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Only forum people, vs adding locals...meh, run it however you'd like. People will come if it continues to be fun. Personally, I think the custom chip/button/card cover is a good idea, as is branding the Meetups. Tradition is a good thing.

There is a lot of risk to people hosting. Some of the original rules were to control risk and to make sure people weren't putting liability on the host and on the site. If you're going to host, you may want to think through why some of the original items were there and do your thing with some of that in mind.

The name tags were originally to be welcoming to newer people so they didn't feel as though they were intruding on a clique and to make it easier to mingle. It also signified paying the fee which was there to cover food trophies and chip. Also, stakes were set to allow people of all means to enjoy.

I look forward to seeing you all at your events no matter how they are organized.

B.C.

3 of a Kind
Reaction score
I may have been spoiled by attending only one meet up so far and that happened to be Courages with the best chippers and locals:). Locals and chippers were both great to meet and play with at DCS.

People who want chipper only events, are always able to organise meet-ups with any criteria they like so if that's your thing go for it. Personally I want to meet and play with your degenerate friends as well.

Chicken Rob

Full House
Reaction score
I may have been spoiled by attending only one meet up so far and that happened to be Courages with the best chippers and locals:). Locals and chippers were both great to meet and play with at DCS.

People who want chipper only events, are always able to organise meet-ups with any criteria they like so if that's your thing go for it. Personally I want to meet and play with your degenerate friends as well.

I've only been to one meet-up with B.C., and he taught us that Aussies degen harder than any of us.

If you came to MA/NH or MD you would see the same things. Great chippers, and great local degen friends. I hope you can make it again some time.

Reaction score
I have only attended one, and that was the inaugural Mad Town Throw Down hosted by Trihonda and Links_Slayer. Both days were just chippers and were very entertaining. But in the end we were playing poker, not staring at the chips. I am not averse to having new blood at the events since that just grows our love for quality playing gear. Having only "us" is nice, but showing our chips to people interested in something other than Wal-Mart "Official 10.5 gram" dice chips is gratifying. If you aren't growing, then you are dying.

ovo

4 of a Kind
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I will add, agreeing with Larry, that I would feel comfortable bringing expensive chips to one of those meet-ups with PCF/CTer's, but feel concern with locals that are not into chips, but might not think twice about taking home a souvenir. I've got my own locals that respect my chips and would hope they respect yours, but it's hard to say if everyone has their locals trained, so to speak ;)

Chicken Rob

Full House
Reaction score
I will add, agreeing with Larry, that I would feel comfortable bringing expensive chips to one of those meet-ups with PCF/CTer's, but feel concern with locals that are not into chips, but might not think twice about taking home a souvenir. I've got my own locals that respect my chips and would hope they respect yours, but it's hard to say if everyone has their locals trained, so to speak ;)

My locals certainly understand, as I make it clear. I'm sure the same is true of Courage's, Bergs', Guinness', and Krafticus'. I'd be surprised if not true in any game normally hosted by a chipper from the forums. I think the only close call we ever had was bergs' mom. We are inviting these peoaple into our homes with a lot of cash in play, it's not like we are inviting strangers off the street. These are people we know, like and trust around our stuff.

Top Bottom