May have been scammed. How big a problem could this be? (1 Viewer)

DrStrange

4 of a Kind
Reaction score
I have been "social engineered" into disclosing my date of birth and last four digits of my social security number. Not sure how much trouble this might lead to - looking for ideas what might be going on.

Details - My son's estate is selling his home. A buyer has been found, a contract signed, and the title company is doing a search for liens. The title company claims there is a lien in my name on the property. Not clear if this was a lien in my name against the property or somehow the property was being held by a third party claiming I owed them money or perhaps something else. My eldest is the executor of the estate - she texted me and asked for the social plus birthdate to clean up the title. Likely shouldn't have passed on the requested information, but I did.

Today I get told, everything is fine. There was never any such lien.

My BS detector says it is all a package of lies. Not really sure if I should get my lawyer involved just yet. I think I am calling the title company and asking what is going on. Ditto my kid.

Thoughts? How bad could this be? Suggestions?

DrStrange

I have been "social engineered" into disclosing my date of birth and last four digits of my social security number. Not sure how much trouble this might lead to - looking for ideas what might be going on.

Details - My son's estate is selling his home. A buyer has been found, a contract signed, and the title company is doing a search for liens. The title company claims there is a lien in my name on the property. Not clear if this was a lien in my name against the property or somehow the property was being held by a third party claiming I owed them money or perhaps something else. My eldest is the executor of the estate - she texted me and asked for the social plus birthdate to clean up the title. Likely shouldn't have passed on the requested information, but I did.

Today I get told, everything is fine. There was never any such lien.

My BS detector says it is all a package of lies. Not really sure if I should get my lawyer involved just yet. I think I am calling the title company and asking what is going on. Ditto my kid.

Thoughts? How bad could this be? Suggestions?

DrStrange
I do commercial title insurance. You don't have anything to worry about. I'm sure they just cleared some common name liens.

I wouldn't worry about much just yet. I would run a credit check in a few weeks to make sure nothing else got taken out in your name. Just your name and DOB, even plus 4 digits of a SSN usually can't accomplish much.

The IRS already leaked your full social years ago along with credit agencies

It’s already out there for years probably

My social has been leaked so many times I don’t even care anymore

Since someone opened a Kohl's credit card in my name I froze my credit so nobody can do shit. For the credit card they got everything correct except my birthday and yes failing to know the birthday they still allowed them to open the account. I can see forgetting your social, but never your birthday. That's a giant tell.

Since someone opened a Kohl's credit card in my name I froze my credit so nobody can do shit. For the credit card they got everything correct except my birthday and yes failing to know the birthday they still allowed them to open the account. I can see forgetting your social, but never your birthday. That's a giant tell.
Yah that’s surprising

Yah I put a lock on my credit with all three years ago

But just like having that wrong won’t stop some idiot CC companies a lock / freeze won’t even at times I’ve heard they are so incompetent

They are just a drug dealer they will fire out cards to anyone just give them their fees and interest

I wouldn't worry about much just yet. I would run a credit check in a few weeks to make sure nothing else got taken out in your name. Just your name and DOB, even plus 4 digits of a SSN usually can't accomplish much.

If you wanted to take this to the next level, you could always do a credit freeze with the Big Three credit agencies. I did this a few years back due to a potential breach at wife's employer.

agree this sounds like nothing. now if my mom could just stop giving her debit card number to facebook ads...

agree this sounds like nothing. now if my mom could just stop giving her debit card number to facebook ads...
I’d like to give the Facebook people a knuckle sandwich. How the hell they can blithely host so many scam ads is freaking shameful.

For Kohl's? If you're gonna go through the trouble, at least pick a store that has decent stuff...

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom