Maximum size of top for pedestal? (2 Viewers)

tigon

Straight
Reaction score
I picked up a 44" pedestal table for a pretty good price and will be making a top to put on the pedestal base. I just don't know if I can get away with making a 48" top without it being too wobbly. The table does support a leaf about a foot and a half wide so I am thinking it might work..

It has 4 legs. 24" from corner to corner horizontally and 35" vertically. The base that the table top lies on is 15x20". How do I figure out a safe size for the new top?

pics please :)

I've heard a general rule of thumb is a top can be 2x the width of the base. However, I believe there are many factors, such as base weight, etc.. to consider.

>However, I believe there are many factors, such as base weight, etc.. to consider.

Also the weight of the poker players who are going to be leaning on the edges of the table. I learned this the hard way. :cool:

I finished it for now. I went for the full 48" and it should be fine.

I screwed up the rail in a few spots though . On the inside there are a few spots where it looks like the foam underneath folds over itself but I didn't get an even cut in some spots especially where I decided to trim it just a little closer to the line with kitchen scissors. I also cut the star in the vinyl too close to the edge, it was very prone to tearing but nothing visible. A few loose spots on the outside too even after close to 1000 staples used. Lessons learned for next time.

Last edited:
Pics with bonus wet drywall sheets and amateur pr0n.

P1050169.JPG P1050192.JPG P1050195.JPG P1050198.JPG P1050231.JPG P1050234.JPG

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom