Maximum players at 1 table question (1 Viewer)

Mesnik44

3 of a Kind
Supporter
Reaction score
I run a monthly game. In it, there are 2 married couples, and another "in a serious relationship" couple.

I have 2 tables, but only one permanently set up.

If when I send the invites out to everyone, I receive 12 responses, I open the second table up. We then play 2 tables of 6.

My dilemma is this, I've received 11 responses, and that 11th person is on the waitlist, but is one of the aforementioned couples.

Would you play an 11 player at 1 table game? Is that even heard of? What are your thoughts.

Thanks in advance.

I run a monthly game. In it, there are 2 married couples, and another "in a serious relationship" couple.

I have 2 tables, but only one permanently set up.

If when I send the invites out to everyone, I receive 12 responses, I open the second table up. We then play 2 tables of 6.

My dilemma is this, I've received 11 responses, and that 11th person is on the waitlist, but is one of the aforementioned couples.

Would you play an 11 player at 1 table game? Is that even heard of? What are your thoughts.

Thanks in advance.
I've played 11 at the table. I think it's fine for holdem, if your table is big enough and 11 can fit with reasonable comfort.

I've played 11 as well.

My tables are big enough that it works... play can be a little slow with that many hands, but I'd rather accommodate everyone than split into two tables of 5 and 6.

It's all about comfort. I had 11 player games for a while, and they were kind of terrible. The table size/legs configuration denied 11 comfortably at one table though. In my case 5 and 6 was much better.

However, I run NLHE tournaments. Once one is eliminated, we settled into a single table. People quickly forgot about the short-handed play.

We play 10 handed with a dealer, dont ever see issues - dont think this will be much different

Thanks for the input so far.

As for table size, I have a Chanman table, that will fit 11 around it.

If given the option, I'd rather play at the short table if there were others who don't mind playing short handed. Obviously if it's cash; a tournament I've no idea lol.

We play 11 a lot, most of the times 10 handed

For 1 odd time I could deal with 11 players if it was a pain to set up the second table. I would rather play short handed if it is an option though.

Why not have the last person to show be the first alternate? They are guaranteed a seat still but will have to wait until someone bust to be sat. It will help motivate everyone to be on time.

Our group uses Meetup.com to track the RSVP list but anyone on the waiting list will be sat at game time ahead of a player on the list if they are late.

It is a good rule to motivate everyone to be on time.

Also if you do seat 11, you could have the person dealing sit out that hand so that the table plays 10 handed. It will help keep the game moving a little faster and the dealer can focus on just dealing and everything that goes along with it.

I will sit with eleven as last resort, i have friends and players that will leave if 11 handed, which ironically makes it 10 for the rest of us.

My bigger concern would be the fact that over half of the participants are in close personal relationships with another player. But, given the pervasiveness of it there's no way around it without playing two tables and keeping them shorthanded until the very end.

Probably not an issue with your folks but just something to be cognizant of.

What he didn't mention is that it's tournament NLHE, not cash.

Better 11 on 1 table (which I’ve done a lot, in tourneys) than 6 and 5 on 2 tables. More fun to sit all together

Even for tournament 10 is about the max for comfort purposes. 11 is a-hole & elbows uncomfortable unless you have a "large table".

In a tournament I could see doing it. Cash never--I'd always split it into 2 tables.

There is an easy formula that you can use to determine if you should sit 11 at a table.

6429F1DE-28DB-48B6-9265-ED17F32EBA55.png

With 11 players. We play 10 and dealer sits out
I like this alternative! Probably suitable for cash games only.

A group that I play friendly lower stakes cash games with, which will typically have anywhere from 8 to 13 players in a night, we will almost always split into 2 tables if there are more than 10 people. We'd rather play short handed, with a lot of hands, but a few times if someone's leaving in 15 minutes or so, we might sit 11 players in the game.

When I run into 11 people for a tourney I break it to 5 and 6 and then combine at 9. If the 5 table looses a player I move one over and play 5 and 5. We are not super serious about tournaments and it works for the layout and tables I have.

Tourney I would run 11, probably would do it with cash as well, but I think I would rather play shorthanded in cash

I run a monthly game and try to only allow 20. I only set up my 3rd table a couple of times a year (it's a lot of work). When we get down to 11, or start with 11, it's 6 and 5. Sometimes though I have 21 and have gone 11 & 10, but it is hard to play with 11. It's not a comfort issue for us. I recently had this for the first time in a while and don't plan to do it again. Several have expressed to me that they would rather not have the last guy's money in the game than play with 11. It's hard to get a consensus though because only half the players other than me have done it since one table 10 is tight and we can't do 11 at it.

For me, I'd only do 11 if I had 2 full tables. If you only play with one table and don't want to set up a second table, I'd be less inclined to do 11 and just max out at 10. YMMV.

Personally, I would do two tables, but I think you just cater to your players in this spot. It seems your game is far more social than serious and maybe they would prefer a single table in this spot if your main table can accommodate 11 comfortably, there's no rule against it or anything.

Depends on the size of your table and the games you spread. I've played 13-handed (Hold'em and 3-card Omaha 8) on a large round table without any issues. I would assume most players would like to play at full tables with 9 or 10 players. The game is better and more social as well with everyone seated together. If your game is that popular that more than 10 players sign up, then you'll need to decide if it's first-come / first-seated, first to reply to your invitation, or perhaps ask players as the game begins to break up who can commit to the next game and give them priority. Either way, it's a nice problem to have. Good luck.

I don't really even like 10, 9 is the max I prefer to be at a table. I thing the best number for a cash game is between 6-8 but I don't have a table that seats more than 8 comfortably anyway.

We try to keep it to no more than 8. On occasions when we've had more, the plays slows down too much; too many side conversations and people with their focus elsewhere.

i swear i remember playing at the the horseshoe 11 or 12 years ago and we were squeezed in to 12 handed at a low limit or 1/2 table. I know it had to be at least 11 but i think it was 12 cause i was kind of pissed about how cramped i was.

it was a while ago so for all i know it wasnt cash but actually a tourney and wasnt 12 but only 10 and wasnt the horseshoe but...etc

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom