Max chip resolution/graphic quality (1 Viewer)

TheFlyingDrunkman

Sitting Out
Reaction score
I'm thinking about getting some custom designs made for a set of a certain space movie themed poker chips and probably doing a group buy (inspired by the Super Poker World set)

I'm thinking the ceramics from BR Pro Poker would be a good choice.

If I'm going to do it, I would want it to be something special so I would want something similar to the art style in the attached image.

Does anyone have experience with printing something like this on ceramic chips? How does it come out and what should I watch out for if I go down this route?

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    885.8 KB · Views: 85
The general rule is a resolution of at least 300 pixels per inch at 100%. So ,a 39mm chip should have art that is 459 pixels across, but that is an absolute minimum. The more you can have, the better...with 600 ppi being a good resolution to shoot for.
Also plan on extra part of the image for bleed, and if you do any cropping of the image, that needs to factor in as well.

You'll also want to convert the image to CMYK, and address any issues that arise in the color changes that occur with the conversion.

You can send your final image to Kristil at BRProPoker, and ask her if it will print ok, and I recommend paying to have a printed sample chip with the art made to ensure you are getting what you expect.
Good luck!

Last edited:
Photos aren’t usually as good as vector-based graphics. Instead of smooth tones like a photo, vector is made up of colored shapes. While a photo can be converted into vector art, something as complex as your image may not produce the desired result.
I’ve done some photos on BRPro dealer buttons, and it can be tricky, even with simpler images.
Maybe see if BRPro can transfer your art to a chip as a sample, and go from there.

So I notice your pic is rectangular which will cause problems when you try to crop it into a circle based on personal experience.

1674713927349.jpeg

1674713941526.jpeg

I tried to turn that matching front and back into a button design and we could never get it to come out right. So I made cut cards instead and used pics more friendly to circular cropping. These are 60mm with just available internet pics. Turned out great.

1674713874398.jpeg

Ignoring DPI and print resolution, remember that your canvas is only 39mm across. Something that detailed, while it looks OK on your screen or even phone screen, will be mostly unrecognizable when printed on a chip.

There is a reason why you don't see a lot of photo inlay chips, especially with customs. They just wind up being a hard to read mess. (I think that's Leia in a variation of the steel bikini, but in a vacuum I'm not sure I'd know who or what is in your example, and that has no text or a denomination added to it yet).

Simple is king when it comes to chip design. Look around in the galleries and see what other folks have actually had printed and on a chip in their examples. It's easy to get lost in the details on screen when those fine details get lost on the actual chip. I've been there and paid for it.

So I notice your pic is rectangular which will cause problems when you try to crop it into a circle based on personal experience.

View attachment 1066571
View attachment 1066572

I tried to turn that matching front and back into a button design and we could never get it to come out right. So I made cut cards instead and used pics more friendly to circular cropping. These are 60mm with just available internet pics. Turned out great.

View attachment 1066570
Thanks for sharing these samples.

The image that I posted is just an example I pulled of the interweb. If I go down this route, I would be hiring someone to design specific chip graphics.

Ignoring DPI and print resolution, remember that your canvas is only 39mm across. Something that detailed, while it looks OK on your screen or even phone screen, will be mostly unrecognizable when printed on a chip.

There is a reason why you don't see a lot of photo inlay chips, especially with customs. They just wind up being a hard to read mess. (I think that's Leia in a variation of the steel bikini, but in a vacuum I'm not sure I'd know who or what is in your example, and that has no text or a denomination added to it yet).

Simple is king when it comes to chip design. Look around in the galleries and see what other folks have actually had printed and on a chip in their examples. It's easy to get lost in the details on screen when those fine details get lost on the actual chip. I've been there and paid for it.

Thanks for the advice. I have been looking around and don't see many images on chips. That's why I was looking at doing something like this to begin with but also why I had concerns about how they might turn out and started asking questions.

Correct me if I am wrong, but aside from being small it desn't seem to come out quite as crisp when 'printed' on ceramic.

I designed the dealer buttons in this group buy using photographs to start, and editing them in Photoshop and Illustrator. Job manufactured by BRPro.
https://www.pokerchipforum.com/threads/dealer-button-sportsball-gb.94927/
Look at the last couple pages for examples of how they printed. Some complained that they were too dark, especially the basketball one, but the examples I got were ok. I think in general, a darker image will go even darker when printed. Blacks tens to spread more than other colors.

Thanks for the advice. I have been looking around and don't see many images on chips. That's why I was looking at doing something like this to begin with but also why I had concerns about how they might turn out and started asking questions.
I designed the dealer buttons in this group buy using photographs to start, and editing them in Photoshop and Illustrator. Job manufactured by BRPro.
https://www.pokerchipforum.com/threads/dealer-button-sportsball-gb.94927/
In the first post, you'll see the original photos, and look at the last couple pages for examples of how they printed. Some complained that they were too dark, especially the basketball one, but the examples I got were ok. I think in general, a darker image will go even darker when printed. Blacks tens to spread more than other colors.
Correct me if I am wrong, but aside from being small it desn't seem to come out quite as crisp when 'printed' on ceramic.
Yes, photos (raster art) tend to blur a small bit, even detailed vector art can blur slightly. It will never be as crisp as the original photo.
It's because the chips are made with dye-sublimation, which is inks are applied to a paper backing, and then under heat and pressure, the ink jumps to the chip. Even when the two are in perfect contact, some fidelity is lost in the transfer. Of the ceramic examples I've seen, however, BRPro get the sharpest results.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom