Marketing Geniuses they Ain't (1 Viewer)

PlaidDragon

Full House
Supporter
Reaction score
This is regarding a radio commercial in Austin for a local copier company.

During the commercial there is a faux interview with a (seemingly) faux client. In the interview the client talks about one of their copiers as having produced "28,000,000" copies. o_O

I thought about that and have determined that the marketing department of that company should either be fired or given the hugest raise ever.

How long does the average business retain one copy machine before it breaks or before it is upgraded to something newer/better? Five years?

Lets do some math. 28,000,000 / 5 = 5,600,000 copies a year.

Given a 5-day work week we have 260 work days a year, not accounting for holidays/leap years. But for ease of math, lets assume these guys are REALLY diligent and give them 300 work days a year; which translates to roughly 18,600 copies a day on this single machine.

Again, assuming these are the hardest workers ever, and/or have people working 2 shifts, lets say their operational work time is 16 hrs a day.

That comes out to 1162 copies an hour.

Counter to my point, that number is very possible given some machines these days can even duplex print up to 4,500 copies an hour. But what about equipment down time and maintenance? What about toner and paper costs? Given a quick internet search for cheap paper, that many sheets would cost $330,000+.

Even assuming all of the numbers from the faux interview are true, some follow up inquiries are: who has a need to produce that many copies? Who CONSUMES that many copies?!

I guess it's the same company that puts those papers under windshield wipers in grocery parking lots?

I'm guessing there is some percentage of people out there that will hear the ad and think, "Wow! I need a copier like that for MY office." Checkpoint met, marketing department!

I obviously don't represent the demographic they're targeting but the commercial just seemed outlandish to me. Or maybe I'm off my rocker and every office out there has a copier with similar numbers.... :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
I’d bet a lot of my paulsons that a copier company makes more money off the service contracts that they sell with copiers than anything else.
Not sure this is relevant to your post at all. But I managed a copy center once upon a time, and the service guys were there as much as I was.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom