Making my own first set (1 Viewer)

Reaction score
Hello! I am still rather new to the whole poker thing and creating a custom set might not be the first thing I should aim for
however, I have fallen completely in love with the aurora star tournament set look. And I have seen they are quite rare and when they do pop up they seem to get sold rather fast
and not have the complete set for sale. So my question would be, is it okey to make a custom chip set that looks like the aurora star? Cost doesnt really matter as I would be fine saving up until the time comes if I can get my hands on a tournament set!

thanks for your time helping a newbie to poker chips

What kind of customs were you thinking? I can't see why it wouldn't be ok.
You basically have three options:

CPC - clay and thus most expensive but also nicest. (have 44mm as option with limited choices of molds and edge spots but will not do mixed 39/44mm orders). May not be so much cheaper than the real deal depending on mold and edge spots.
Brpropoker - ceramics (can do 43mm)
Sunfly - ceramics or hybrids (can do 43mm)
Possibly Matsui but probably not a cheap option.

What kind of customs were you thinking? I can't see why it wouldn't be ok.
You basically have three options:

CPC - clay and thus most expensive but also nicest. (have 44mm as option with limited choices of molds and edge spots but will not do mixed 39/44mm orders). May not be so much cheaper than the real deal depending on mold and edge spots.
Brpropoker - ceramics (can do 43mm)
Sunfly - ceramics or hybrids (can do 43mm)
Possibly Matsui but probably not a cheap option.

was thinking CPC. I trade to mirror the aurora star tournament edition chips, Havent found a way to hotstamp them in the custom but would love to hostamp in a silver text, not sure what the text should say yet, but the colors are as close as I can get to the real aurora stars I think

Attachments

• nedladdning (2).png
    nedladdning (2).png
    243.1 KB · Views: 101
Looks great! Well cpc does hot stamps so that shouldn’t be a problem

Looks great! Well cpc does hot stamps so that shouldn’t be a problem

now I just need to understand their pricing, as I have a level 10 spot I suppose it is "complex spot level 10 for 1,35/chip. But is that + additional cost?and I assume hotstamping them will bring the price up as well? All new to making my own chips but glad you liked the design. The colors and hotstamp of the originals were way to gorgeous for me to not want a full set of. Thinking of getting a set of 600-1000. I think it will come to the same price as trying to find that amount of authentic aurora stars around here?

It’s $1.35 on top of level 5 $2.61 so total of $3.96/chip. It gets expensive with high level edge spots

It’s $1.35 on top of level 5 $2.61 so total of $3.96/chip. It gets expensive with high level edge spots
Ah, I see! yeah it will cost to be on top I guess! What does authentic aurora stars cost? or maybe it is safer to make my "own" even though it might be a little more pricy. 2400 dollars for a set of 600 should still be within the budget.

The yellow looks like dg saturn which I would strongly advice against. It sucks in person. Dg yellow is much better. There’s also a premium charge at $.55/chip when using unweighted colors as base color.

The yellow looks like dg saturn which I would strongly advice against. It sucks in person. Dg yellow is much better. There’s also a premium charge at $.55/chip when using unweighted colors as base color.

changed it to the color you reccomended! Yeah the cost will be rather high but the end product will look really nice, and that is what is important :) Will see what happens first, if I can track down the real deal or I shoot my shot at the customs!

changed it to the color you reccomended! Yeah the cost will be rather high but the end product will look really nice, and that is what is important :) Will see what happens first, if I can track down the real deal or I shoot my shot at the customs!
Make sure you get a color sample set before you finalize colors.

You should be able to find a real set of AS tournament chips. They will also have a better resale price if you change your mind later.

The complex spots /unweighted colors and hot stamps will cost a small fortune from CPC, and actually be quite a bit more expensive than buying the real Paulsons. And most likely some of the colors won't look as vibrant (looking at you cpc yellows). I would advise against going this route.

The original AS tournament chips usually sell sonmewhere between $3.5 - 4/each, and they are bought and sold on here pretty regularly. Easy to resell without a loss, compared to CPCs which you will never get back anywhere close to what you put in (imo).

Good luck!

You should be able to find a real set of AS tournament chips. They will also have a better resale price if you change your mind later.

The complex spots /unweighted colors and hot stamps will cost a small fortune from CPC, and actually be quite a bit more expensive than buying the real Paulsons. And most likely some of the colors won't look as vibrant (looking at you cpc yellows). I would advise against going this route.

The original AS tournament chips usually sell sonmewhere between $3.5 - 4/each, and they are bought and sold on here pretty regularly. Easy to resell without a loss, compared to CPCs which you will never get back anywhere close to what you put in (imo).

Good luck!

totally a fair point. This might sound really foolish but the aurora star are somewhat of the most beautiful chips I have seen and wouldn't want to use any others if I had them. So reselling wouldnt really be something I would want to do. So if CPC can give me close to it I wouldnt mind going for it. However, if they are being sold on here regularly for almost the same price I wouldn't mind waiting, as those chips are gorgeous!

55¢ upcharge for bright white, 12¢ for dayglo colors, when used as a base. No upcharge for the retro colors.

copying the colors , no problem, but if you want to use the artwork, check with the owner , unless you are designing something different , good luck with the fun

totally a fair point. This might sound really foolish but the aurora star are somewhat of the most beautiful chips I have seen and wouldn't want to use any others if I had them. So reselling wouldnt really be something I would want to do. So if CPC can give me close to it I wouldnt mind going for it. However, if they are being sold on here regularly for almost the same price I wouldn't mind waiting, as those chips are gorgeous!

Yeah, ok. I think they sell regularly enough so that you can find the orignals cheaper than cpc tributes.

Also another very important point is the colors. Please make sure you buy a sample of the original chips as well as CPC color samples to see if you can make something similar. I don't have a cpc sample to compare to, but in general Paulson colors are brighter and more vibrant than cpcs. (it's still possible to make great cpc sets obviously, but I have a feeling you will get disappointed if you use them to 'copy' a Paulson set.)

Yeah, ok. I think they sell regularly enough so that you can find the orignals cheaper than cpc tributes.

Also another very important point is the colors. Please make sure you buy a sample of the original chips as well as CPC color samples to see if you can make something similar. I don't have a cpc sample to compare to, but in general Paulson colors are brighter and more vibrant than cpcs. (it's still possible to make great cpc sets obviously, but I have a feeling you will get disappointed if you use them to 'copy' a Paulson set.)

alright! looks like I will just have to wait and try to get my hands on the originals :)

....This might sound really foolish but the aurora star are somewhat of the most beautiful chips I have seen and wouldn't want to use any others if I had them. So reselling wouldnt really be something I would want to do....

FWIW, we've all said something similar about chipsets that we loved and then sold in favor of new loves ... repeated many times over. :cool

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom