Majestic's VS Royal's......Rant incoming. (1 Viewer)

Fall3n

Sitting Out
Reaction score
First off I apologize in advance for this rant, but the OCD is taking over.

Alright so arguably the majestic and royal chips are probably 2 of the "better" china clay chips easily available to the masses. I'm drawn to both which makes sense. Here is my dilemma, for those that read my introduction you already have an idea. My OCD compels me to have all the chips (within reason) of a set, or at a minimum have most of the denominations. Well that same OCD is driving me to not want to make a chip makeup how I would want it. Majestic and royal chips both come in blanks, PERFECT! I can put my own labels on and make the set feel right for what the set is supposed to be. Here is the problem though, the majestic chips have the same edge spot throughout while the royals have an edge spot progression. My OCD goes crazy when I'd love nothing more than to have a limit cash set of the two with $1 and $5 majestic's with $20 and $100 Royal's (39mm with bigger denom 43mm chips) just like my favorite limit set i've seen thus far, the Aurora stars.

Do edge spots bug anyone else? I really feel that is what makes a cohesive set. If all the edge spots in the set are the same, GREAT. If all the edge spots are different and progress through the set, GREAT! But edge spots that start the same in part of the set then progress, OCD alert!

IDK maybe I'm over thinking it. It just doesn't give me that complete feeling. I love the larger size denomination chip sets and it was kind of my way of thinking to incorporate the royals but the edge spots just have me in a fluster. Anyone else feel the same way?

Rant over. Guess I'm just long winded, sorry for the book.

Love the rant! Personally, I feel that the royals are the best China clays out there and I wouldn't bother with anything else. I get that some people hate 43 mm, but not me.

I also would not mix majestics and royals. As far as spot progression goes, I don't typically like all chips with same spots throughout a set.

But this all goes back to what you want. If the budget works, and the fact that you can customize the labels works, and you can deal with 43 mm (or love 43mm) ... Then there's no decision; Royals FTW!

@BearMetal your spot on. I love the 43mm chips. My issue really isn't with the royals being 43mm, quite opposite. My issue is that for two chipsets that pretty much scream match me together, they don't.
I love the thought of a size progression chip set, 39mm $25, $100, $500, and $1k with 43 mm $5k, $25k, and $100k or something of that nature.

What I wanted to be able to do was have a cash set with 39mm frac, 1, and 5 then 43mm 20 and 100, but now that I think of it, if I do that set as a strict limit set I could do a 39mm $1 and 43mm $20 and $100, just have to custom label the $20. Which was kinda what I was thinking until I could some how piece an aurora stars limit set together.

But still leaves a cool size progression tourney set shot in the foot. A fully royals tourney set wouldn't be bad or anything, just doesn't give that "feel" of the higher denoms being bigger.

I'm probably over thinking this just like I do with everything else.

I'm not sure if my chip edges progress properly or not, but my OCD isn't fazed by it. Love my Royals with custom labels!

1657130239455.png

I'm not sure if my chip edges progress properly or not, but my OCD isn't fazed by it. Love my Royals with custom labels!

View attachment 944616
I'm totally cool with what you did, James. You used that more advanced spot progression on the majestics as your higher denomination chips. My question is how does it play where your lower denominations are larger?

I've tried playing in a few mixed sets with 39 mm and 43 mm and I've kind of gotten used to it. But that's usually with only a single denomination that's larger and it's usually the highest one.

But still leaves a cool size progression tourney set shot in the foot. A fully royals tourney set wouldn't be bad or anything, just doesn't give that "feel" of the higher denoms being bigger.

I'm probably over thinking this just like I do with everything else.
I think that PCF is all about overthinking. Just wait about 3 years when you're ready to buy your first custom CPC set and you think about it for 12 months before placing your order!

I think you should get some samples of barrels of both and see how they feel and play together.

View attachment 944616
@Himewad I love the set. Doesn't phase me at all with the spot progression. I"m not a stickler for color progression at all, and spot progression isn't a problem to me unless the first of a set is the same, then they start changing.
Example to put it in different light, lets say you were going to use your 25's and 100's to make a cash set, the chips you use for the lower .25, 1, and 5 are the majestic's. That is my issue, I want to have a size progression with the denoms.

Love the set though. Do you notice any issues of the banana's and oranges together?

@BearMetal the CPC thoughts have already been flowing. Every time I see new chips it gives me new ideas, then back to square one.
I just may have to order a few barrels like you said and see how I feel about it. Maybe they would be split enough I won't mind. But then of course the next item will be custom labels.

I'm totally cool with what you did, James. You used that more advanced spot progression on the majestics as your higher denomination chips. My question is how does it play where your lower denominations are larger?
My chip set is all 43mm Royals. No Majestics in there.

I think that PCF is all about overthinking. Just wait about 3 years when you're ready to buy your first custom CPC set and you think about it for 12 months before placing your order!
And then wait another year to receive them after paying!

I think you should get some samples of barrels of both and see how they feel and play together.
Definitely get samples.

Samples, All the Samples.
I do have both majestic and royal samples sitting in front of me. But I think like @BearMetal said, barrels of each from denom/colors I want may help to visually see if in stacks I have a problem with them or not.
If the majestic's had the same spot progression like the royal's, or the royals had the same spots as the majestic's this wouldn't be an issue, but I guess then either set might not have the same character that they do.

Anyone know if there are stock Majestic labels? Both to label different denoms of majestic chips (blues be $1) and to label royal chips as majestics ($20 and $100).

@Himewad I love the set. Doesn't phase me at all with the spot progression. I"m not a stickler for color progression at all, and spot progression isn't a problem to me unless the first of a set is the same, then they start changing.
Example to put it in different light, lets say you were going to use your 25's and 100's to make a cash set, the chips you use for the lower .25, 1, and 5 are the majestic's. That is my issue, I want to have a size progression with the denoms.

Love the set though. Do you notice any issues of the banana's and oranges together?
No issues at all with the yellows and orange. They work well together.

By the time you buy everything…it may be cheaper to just buy a ceramic or clay set today. I had CCs, but haven’t touched them since my ceramics or bcc’s or paulsons came to be. Have you come up with a grand total $ amount yet for the chips and labels? Just a thought I had that may not apply to your situation. :)

@dkellerd I have not come up with a total for chips and labels yet. Your statement does make sense though. From the sample sets that I current have both the CC and ceramics have their own "feel" to them. Some of the guys I play with like the CC's more and some like the ceramics more.
I do intend to purchase a set of ceramics as well, here very soon. Plan is to get a Tiki King tourney set as everyone agrees they are fun looking.
This thread originally stemmed from the issue that I would really like to have a CC cash set and possibly tourney set, which in both cases I love the mixed size set idea but the edge spots were my initial problem.
I did ask about labels as I figure is there were a "stock" option for majestic labels that could be put on blanks that would help to keep the cost down.

My chip set is all 43mm Royals. No Majestics in there
Ah, yes, I had thought so and I can see that now. This is what I get for trying to use my phone in one hand for PCF, while holding a beer and a hot dog in the other hand while walking through Princeton with my wife while crossing busy streets on a sunny day.

Edit: okay, now that I have had time to digest both my misunderstanding and the beer, I actually think it could be pretty cool to have your highest denomination chip smaller. At first I thought it was tilting, but now I just think it could be a neat little gimmick.

In the grand scheme of things you are overthinking it. But if you're going to the trouble of designing a set, then it shouldn't put you on tilt.

There are examples of sets where denoms repeat spot patterns and skip patterns and then loop around again.

Take the CDI98, for example. 0.50, 100, and 500 have same spot pattern. 5 and 25 have the same spot pattern. 1 has its own, and so does 1000.

CDI05 have consistent patterns through the set from 0.50 through 1000.

@allforcharity thanks for that in-site. Maybe I am overthinking it way too much. I'll look at those sets and see what I think.
I'm not sure it's the repeating that is the issue, it's that the first half of the set is one edge spot pattern then the second half would be alternating. I'll keep thinking on it.

Take the CDI98, for example. 0.50, 100, and 500 have same spot pattern. 5 and 25 have the same spot pattern. 1 has its own, and so does 1000.

CDI05 have consistent patterns through the set from 0.50 through 1000.
I knew there was a reason I don't have any CDIs :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:

But it's a great point... There are sets that have a single spot pattern throughout every chip. There are sets where the spot patterns repeat between a few denominations. And there are sets that are just different across every single chip. To each his own...

But I think that was what @Fall3n was saying in the original post. That what tilts him is when spots start off the same, and then start to progress partway through. At least with the CDIs it's broken up a bit.

So either way you slice it, there are examples of every spot progression out there in well respected, loved sets. It really is a matter of what you like and what you want to see.

Honestly, I went through almost the exact same thought process as I really wanted a set with a mix of 39mm and 43mm for larger denominations. I strongly considered a mixed Royal and Majestic set but didn’t really like the color combos and that both had various denominations out of stock. After ordering pretty much every sample I could, I ended up settling on a cards mold ceramic set. I was able to customize it how I see fit and I got 43mm $20s for my cash set and 43mm 5ks and 25ks for my tournament set and I was able to get 2200 chips for around $0.50/chip including tax and shipping

The solution to your troubles is plaques.

Lower denoms: 39mm
Two denoms: 43mm
Two denoms: plaques of two different sizes

The inconsistency between the Royals and Majestics will be inconsequential when there's only two Royals in the lineup.

I like progressive spots, but don't mind either if they're static. Two of my tourney sets have static spots.

The latter you'll generally see more often on tourney sets rather than cash.

What DOES seriously bug me are static spots that are the color across ALL denoms. I've seen them like that every once and a while watching tourney play on whatever channel.

I owned Majestics but didn't care for the dark labels.
I can't say I mind the dark label on the majestic's but now that you say that, the chips are on the darker side with a dark label, maybe a silver label with black writing.

Any tourney set that includes plaques is usually no longer a "budget" set. I'd save the plaques for a higher quality set, since they probably won't be cheap.
There are some very affordable plaques out there! They're not as cheap per piece as Royals, but if you just use them for the very highest denoms you'd still have a "budget" set, albeit for a somewhat higher budget.

Ceramic plaques aren't my favorite, but lots of people like 'em, and they're both fully customizable and pretty affordable at $5 per (only one size available, though, so would be best for a set with only one denom of plaques).

The Chinese acrylic plaques are pretty nice - not as nice as MSK, Matsui, or Abiatti but they still look and feel good. Depending on the source and the design you can get them for $7 each.

There's even a guy on eBay selling a nice Matsui design for $10 each! You'd have to contact him to work out a deal to buy in bulk so you don't pay per-piece shipping. Not to mention Apache has a number of options for MSK plaques for under $10, including some with Royal and Majestic designs, which may or may not work with the set the OP is envisioning.

So, not cheap, but I'd still say affordable, and well worth it to bling out your game. :)

Thanks for all the input everyone. I'm starting to feel that maybe a mixed majestic/royal set just isn't going to work. Over the last 2 days I've sat here with my sample sets just trying to see what would work and nothing feels right.
Luckily I think I know what the solution is, and @TRS4991 pretty much hit it on the head. Since day one of seeing the Aria's card mold ceramics I've wanted a full set. I think a tourney set with 39mm 25, 100, 500, and 1k then 43mm 5k, 25k, and 100k would be near perfection. Only issue at the moment is getting into group buys.

I have to agree with @allforcharity on the plaque part. I totally love the thought of Plaques, but I do feel they need to be with a high end set (exception being ceramic plaques with ceramic sets) I do love the MSK plaques (Majestic on ApachePoker) and will try and figure a way to have a set at some point.

There are some very affordable plaques out there! They're not as cheap per piece as Royals, but if you just use them for the very highest denoms you'd still have a "budget" set, albeit for a somewhat higher budget.

Ceramic plaques aren't my favorite, but lots of people like 'em, and they're both fully customizable and pretty affordable at $5 per (only one size available, though, so would be best for a set with only one denom of plaques).

The Chinese acrylic plaques are pretty nice - not as nice as MSK, Matsui, or Abiatti but they still look and feel good. Depending on the source and the design you can get them for $7 each.

There's even a guy on eBay selling a nice Matsui design for $10 each! You'd have to contact him to work out a deal to buy in bulk so you don't pay per-piece shipping. Not to mention Apache has a number of options for MSK plaques for under $10, including some with Royal and Majestic designs, which may or may not work with the set the OP is envisioning.

So, not cheap, but I'd still say affordable, and well worth it to bling out your game. :)
Not true on "one size only" from that one particular vendor you are correct... but there is another!

Talk to our friends at nick@tps ... o idea how you are supposed to tag that name. But they are also a vendor here and offer lots of awesome ceramic options
Screenshot_20220701-071148_Samsung Internet.jpg

And for right around the same price! I am working with Nick on some custom plaques in the 2nd size as we speak!

As faras the OP... Royals are much better than Majestics IMo... personally I would stick with all 43mm myself. Or go custom Ceramic plaques for the $20 and $100... but that's just me.

I do love the MSK plaques (Majestic on ApachePoker) and will try and figure a way to have a set at some pointpoint

My final shipped price for fully custom MSK plaques was about $7 per, so I wouldn't use anything of lesser or questionable quality for the same price. It was for a modest order of 140 plaques over 3 designs/sizes, too.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom