Majestic blanks - custom labeling question (1 Viewer)

Reaction score
IMG_0532.jpg

I just bought a set of Majestic blanks. I bought blanks because I want to label these with my own image and denom scheme. When I got them there's a prominent ridge left on one side from the molding process. Just wondering if anyone has any experience (good or bad) with custom labels placed over this ridge.

I'm not too worried since I'm sure this is on all the pre-labeled Majestics (and likely all china clays) so there's a solution that works fine. Just wondering if there's a specific type of label or label supplier that I should use or avoid. Thanks!

Oof. I was thinking on getting blanks like this for non-denominationals. Thanks for posting.

Oof. I was thinking on getting blanks like this for non-denominationals. Thanks for posting.
I gotta say, we played the first game with these last night and while I am going to label them, I never once noticed the ring, and I was paying some attention to how they looked in stacks, as people cut out bets, and in pots.

I’m also not super critical of aesthetics either fwiw.

Granted the room is somewhat dimly lit, but as blanks of have no issues running these out next to other china clays (I’ve used Milanos a lot before). If you’ve got Paulsons or something these would look terrible next to them, but something of comparable quality would be fine. Also the ring is probably more visible on certain colors, the darker the less noticeable I’d guess.

If it’s really bad you could get blanks and get blank labels to add on. I do like the look and feel of these as a very solid “in between” chip set.

I was part of the original group buy for these and bought blanks. I had labels made at a different company. Apache was nice enough to send the chips directly to them. They washed the chips, made the labels, and put them on, then mailed them to me. We've never had any issues with the chips or labels.

I was part of the original group buy for these and bought blanks. I had labels made at a different company. Apache was nice enough to send the chips directly to them. They washed the chips, made the labels, and put them on, then mailed them to me. We've never had any issues with the chips or labels.
Can you share who made and applied the labels?

Chip, it was PGI in Florida. They have sold their business assets and retired. I think ABC Gift & Awards might make labels. I know Apache does. I've done business with both of those great companies and would highly recommend either. I've heard good things about Gear Labels, but have never done business with them. I'm sure there are others. Sorry I can't be more help. I'm sending you a PM.

I'm surprised that the ridge doesn't cause issues. Maybe the picture is deceiving, but the bump on that lower-right yellow looks significant. You mean that the label is applied directly over it and you can't notice?

I never saw mine without labels. Maybe the ridge is bigger on later batches. I've never noticed it under the labels.

Here's an update. I ordered a sample set of labels from Gear. I also bought more chips from Apache, green this time, and this batch was by far the worst for the middle ridge.

Representative green chip with ridge. The biggest edge on these actually feels like a sharp edge, not just a light bump like the others:

1661710236189.png

The "Majestic" label sample, I think it's the "matte" finish option. You can both easily see and feel the ridge here. Though, and I'm no expert on recognizing spinners, it doesn't seem to be raised high enough to matter in stacks.

1661710462125.png

The "Milano" label which seems to be the "textured" finish option. This chip has about the same amount of ridge as the example above, and as you can see it's barely noticeable. And the texture doesn't totally conceal it to the touch, but it's much much fainter of a feeling in your hands. The texture of the ridge mostly blends in with the texture of the label. This also doesn't seem to raise the surface enough to be a spinner issue:

1661710719309.png

My next question was whether the dark vs light backgrounds make it more prominently visible, or if it's the matte vs textured finish. Here's the default matte and textured labels for comparison. Note: I put these 7/8" labels intentionally off center to maximize the overlap with the ridge under the label.

The matte still shows the ridge visibly with the right light reflection, but the white background is much less obvious than the black "Majestic" label background:

1661711238906.png

So... final thoughts? I love the look and feel of the textured "Milano" label. I would bet that if you didn't know about this ridge under the label you would never suspect it was there. And I think erring on the side of a lighter background is best if this is a big concern for you.

I'm still very happy with these chips, and I think once I get my labels designed and applied this will be a very enjoyable set to play with. That is, until I pull the trigger on a "real" set. I'm going to need to make a trip to Vegas this winter. You know, for research purposes. :cool

Attachments

• 1661710969083.png
    1661710969083.png
    310.5 KB · Views: 99
I will say that looking at these with labels, the ridges on mine I never notice, and I think the original batch didn't have them. Others who got them might think differently, but they are noticeable under your labels. I don't think they are under my labels.

I labeled a 600 piece set of Majestics as a set for my Mom. Chips didn’t have that ridge in the center

I've never molded poker chips, but my job has had me doing a number of similar manufacturing processes with plastics and other materials. This is almost certainly due to the tool wearing out and needing a refurbishment or a machine/tool setup person not correctly dialing in the process. It wouldn't surprise me at all if this comes and goes batch to batch. There's usually a tolerance called out for this, but in this case it could be a "meh, they're going to put a label over it anyway..." Or maybe "the new guy" made all of mine.

Either way I'm glad I got the label samples and that the textured labels look pretty good despite the ridges.

That extruded ridge under the label would be a deal breaker IMO. I would get in touch with Majestic to check with them to check if this extruded ridge is supposed to be as noticeable on their blanks. The pictures of the blanks on their site do show a minor ridge, but nothing as extreme like your chips.
majestic-blank-poker-chips1.jpg

If anyone still follows this thread…I am pulling some labels off my Majestic's soon, will post if there is a ridge.

FWIW the Milanos I recently relabeled had a similar, though not as bad, ridge on about 30% of the chips. It was very easy to level them with a scalpel to close to dead flat. I'd bet majestics would be no harder to do. Well worth the small time commitment to get them perfect.

Thanks. I may be doing the same soon. Did you use sticker mule stickers by chance? I wonder if the 8 mil stickers would “hide any ridge similar to the original majestic / Apache sticker.

Take the bump out by milling the chips with a drill press.
Take the bump out by milling the chips with a drill press.
Did you get labels for these yet? What does the final product look like, I'd love to be able to save money and do it myself because my wife is already upset about the cost of the chips...

@Gear would this process work for your labels? Do you know what size bit to use and how far to go? Or just enough to flatten the hot stamp? On a THC.

Labels are coming next week from sticker mule. They are 1” labels and from what I have read the “hole” is .950. I am a little nervous about this.

I thought others had been able to get smaller than 1” labels from sticker mule.

These chips center is .950 and my stickers from Sticker Mule are 1”. Will cooling vinyl stickers cause the little bit of “shrinkage” I need? Order has not arrived thats why I am asking. Once in place the glue should hold the size.

They are terrible…from the moment I put them on I started thinking about replacements. The 1” label size was a huge issue too. You can see it riding up the side of the center. Sticker Mule gave me exactly what I asked for fast and economically. It is just not going to work for these chips.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom