Magnetic Slide out cupholders - my answer to the cup holder debate (1 Viewer)

Sorry, no plans. I just have the diagram I made on the first page. Someone else actually took this idea and made it a simpler solution by just routing a groove underneath the table that bolts could be inserted in and attached similar cupholder to them. Accomplished under the rail moveable, swing out cupholders but much more simply. I just tried to search for it, but didn't find it. If I get time later I'll try and search again.
Are you talking about this post here?

https://www.pokerchipforum.com/threads/round-table-with-adjustable-swing-out-cup-holders.93934/

This is great! Do you have any plans that I could use? I've been looking at tables and I'm leaning toward building my own. This would be perfect.
If you're looking for step by step plans, there's a website called buildyourownpokertables.com that has plans. they are pretty simplistic and there are definitely some design improvements you could make on your own, but those plans are great for a first DIY table. Especially if you're not that experienced with projects like this (which was / is me)

Hi all,

I have always had a strange sort of obsession with making the "best" solution for the poker table cup holder debate. I definitely have certain opinions about cup holders:

1) I don't like drinks on the table surface, so slide unders, or cupholders built into a racetrack or surface have been a no for me.
2) Similarly, I have never wanted cup holders in the rail. I don't like them so high up, they seem to be in the way, and the spot is fixed.
3) Side tables are great, if you have a lot of room, but they can get in the way.
4) My compromise for the first two tables I built were swing out cupholders on lazy susans. They were basically dual cupholders that swing out between every pair of seats.
View attachment 566371
I really do like this solution. They are off the table surface, to be more out of the way, and don't take up much room. They sit lower than in-rail cupholders, they are built into the table, and hide away completely when players don't want to use them. Really, the only issue I have with them is that their location is fixed. In some seats, your cup holder has to be on your right, other seats on your left.

I wanted cup holders that are low and out of the way and can be placed wherever the player wants them, directly in front, to their left, or to their right. If they don't want one, it doesn't need to be there. If they want jumbo, they can have jumbo, their choice. The solution - slide out cupholders that slide into a slot and use magnets to hold them in place. This was my original diagram,
View attachment 566372

And here they are done in my recently completed 58" round table. I love playing on round tables!
View attachment 566373

Several options are available. Most are just the standard size cupholder, but jumbos are available, even small integrated tables for phones, or a snack plate. There is also one with a wireless qi phone charger that plugs into the usb ports in the table.
View attachment 566374

Magnets in the wood of the cupholder hold them solidly in place.
View attachment 566375

I was able to test them out in a small family game on Friday. I'm really happy with them. No complaints at all, they worked great! Some people had them on their left, others on their right, and one in the center in front. I tried it directly in front of me, but didn't like that at all. Too much in the way for me.

So, what are the cons of this method? The main one is that it is a royal PITA to implement. I had to cut sheet metal for the magnets to place under the surface edge around the entire table perimeter and glue it. Also had to attach that perimeter wood around the table to create a slot to slide them into. That was also a LOT of work. It was very difficult to get the gap just the right width so that the fit was tight, but not too tight. Neither the magnets nor the slot would work by themselves, but together they work great. For most people, having a better cup holder system is not worth all that work. I don't know how many hours I had into the thing. The second downside is storing all of the cup holders when not in use. I haven't found an elegant way to do that yet, but I have some ideas. Anyway, I'm extremely happy with the result.
Thanks for taking the time to post this. Looks amazing!

I love the way mine works, and am proud of it. It's almost perfect functionally. The main con of my method is it's a PITA to build it. Frankly, I think his method is perfect and should become the go to standard for cupholders for poker tables.
Imo, the near-perfect next-generation solution will be a combination of those two ingenious methods:

A dozen or more under-table swing-out 'stubs' using his bolt/groove approach, each with a magnetic mounting system that allows a variety of different platforms to be easily attached (drink holder, bottle holder, food bowl holder, flat tray, phone holder/charger, etc.), similar to your various attachment options. Possibilities are near-endless.

The simpler swing-out stubs would be less intrusive under the table when not in use, but still allow them to be moved to wherever desired around the table circumference (and then allowing a user-specified option to be attached magnetically).

Depending on the table support design, storage for the accessories could be inside underneath cabinets.

I've got something similar although mine are at fixed locations but the same size etc.

t9FYzEp.png

(I also got a larger version that has room for as bowl/sideplate along with a drink but haven't used them yet)

I really like the more flexible solutions but am really happy with mine and highly recommend their placement if you can achieve it. They don't get in the way at all - really unobtrusive.

I'm not a fan of on the table/racetrack or in the rail and I don't really have room for trollies - although even if I did I find they get in the way regardless and never feel safe around them.

The under the table methods all seem to share the same rough dimensions - just big enough to fit a jumbo cup holder - and be at the same height relative to the top of the rail so even if you do get a spillage it won't make it to the table. Mine have been banged into a fair number of times and so far no drinks splashes have gone beyond the cup holders themselves.

Do all of y'all have woodworking tools or did you borrow friends/family, rent, or outsource the cutting?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom