Magic the Gathering - Anyone out there? MTG (1 Viewer)

Playing type 2 tournaments during the Urza block was ridiculous. People think things are overpowered now… in a standard tournament playing with 4 cradles and four grim monoliths was insane lol. Good old days.
Tinker and some of those other mana generating lands were crazy as well. Pepperidge Farm remembers.

I’m not going to out them. They’ve posted on the forms before but I will say there is a member that has cards that are so rare you’ve never seen, maybe not even heard of :wtf:

I’m not going to out them. They’ve posted on the forms before but I will say there is a member that has cards that are so rare you’ve never seen, maybe not even heard of :wtf:
Oh yeah, I remember him talking about that. He’s got one of those Richard Garfield will you marry me cards that’s like 1 of 9 in existence.

Here’s that set of poker decks. Two collecting worlds collide. Poker and magic.

853FF01C-882C-4518-ACB7-A40340D998B4.jpeg

Attachments

• D6E3D6F5-FAB4-4D09-B308-B262C9F991C7.jpeg
    D6E3D6F5-FAB4-4D09-B308-B262C9F991C7.jpeg
    136.8 KB · Views: 39
  • 93909D77-7868-4782-A9D9-FDCB5B45EC51.jpeg
    93909D77-7868-4782-A9D9-FDCB5B45EC51.jpeg
    167.3 KB · Views: 38
I started playing the game in Alpha. I quit right around Fallen Empires and sold off most of my cards. I made quite a bit of money for them... at the time :p

Since then, I've picked up some collections from garage sales and played in some booster draft nights, but it's pretty sporadic. I have some scraps left from my old collection, including the bolts below. Back in the day, I decided that Lightning Bolt was the best card in the game. So anytime I did a trade, I got the other person to just toss in a few bolts. At one point, I had about a thousand of them...

Those were good times. I remember having decks with zero lands in them, all moxes and lotuses, back before they started making tournament rules and restrictions!

1509243_10153521985715278_4636987656226271211_n.jpg

I started playing the game in Alpha. I quit right around Fallen Empires and sold off most of my cards. I made quite a bit of money for them... at the time :p

Since then, I've picked up some collections from garage sales and played in some booster draft nights, but it's pretty sporadic. I have some scraps left from my old collection, including the bolts below. Back in the day, I decided that Lightning Bolt was the best card in the game. So anytime I did a trade, I got the other person to just toss in a few bolts. At one point, I had about a thousand of them...

Those were good times. I remember having decks with zero lands in them, all moxes and lotuses, back before they started making tournament rules and restrictions!

Whoa, that's crazy man. How many do you have now? Looks like a mix of alpha and beta in the back? Haha, one way to insure the best card isn't played much against you is to trade for them and stash a thousand :)

For me that was Gaea's cradle back when they were about 5 to 10 each.

If anybody wants some sealed product (MTG or Pokemon), send me a PM I'll send you a list. I need to "rebalance my portfolio" so to speak, and fee-free transactions between trusted friends are the absolute BEST way to do business. (I have nothing older than Neon Kamigawa, my sealed product adventure is a relatively new adventure)

Oh, and I want my beta Time Walk back! Anybody got a time machine?

My first and still only commander right now. I’ve posted his pic before, had an artist in Sweden paint over the card for that borderless look, with a bit of blood spatter to boot LOL. Sadly I don’t have the artist’s contact info anymore as I love the result… Just wanted to show him again along with his favorite place for nappy time (for him or some other creature that’s getting cranky). ;)

B00FEE6D-5145-46D0-B745-95D4435D5BFD.jpeg

My first and still only commander right now. I’ve posted his pic before, had an artist in Sweden paint over the card for that borderless look, with a bit of blood spatter to boot LOL. Sadly I don’t have the artist’s contact info anymore as I love the result… Just wanted to show him again along with his favorite place for nappy time (for him or some other creature that’s getting cranky). ;)

View attachment 1119554
Nice. I wondered if that blood splatter was a new wizards art format. Looks great. So if you untap the coffin does he return to play with somoning sickness?

Whoa, that's crazy man. How many do you have now? Looks like a mix of alpha and beta in the back? Haha, one way to insure the best card isn't played much against you is to trade for them and stash a thousand :)

For me that was Gaea's cradle back when they were about 5 to 10 each.
Maybe a few more than that. Also have a few other oddballs, like the Alpha Cyclopean Tomb (which has no casting cost so can be played as a land :p ).

That was the thing about lightning bolts tho.... no matter how many I collected, everyone still had plenty. They were common as hell back then!

I'd love to play more, but I have no idea how to get back in without spending $$$$$

Nice. I wondered if that blood splatter was a new wizards art format. Looks great. So if you untap the coffin does he return to play with somoning sickness?
Yes, with summoning sickness and tapped as well. To be honest Vish Kal rarely goes in the coffin himself, mostly some abomination an opponent controls (rest of the table rejoices) or I can abuse some ETB abilities my creatures have (less rejoicing). :whistle: :whistling:

Crazy that MTG is still around. I played in the 90s; 3rd & 4th edition, but it died fairly quickly when my local comic book store stopped selling it, so I switched hobbies.

Crazy that MTG is still around. I played in the 90s; 3rd & 4th edition, but it died fairly quickly when my local comic book store stopped selling it, so I switched hobbies.
I remember seeing starter boxes of either alpha or beta on the shelf at a news stand magazine store. I picked it up and then thought what a rip off. Was priced retail under $10

Bolt is my favorite card. :) From one red mage to another, good on ya!

Never bought into a Secret Lair before. I detected A LOT of weariness with the product, and that very few people were buying these. I picked the two that I liked best and made a little investment.

IMG_3596.jpg

I think this card is just totally adorable, not to mention quite powerful. I think this single will do very well, and might even be worth grading. It is from the 90s Binder set.

480518.jpg

Never bought into a Secret Lair before. I detected A LOT of weariness with the product, and that very few people were buying these. I picked the two that I liked best and made a little investment.

View attachment 1124597

I think this card is just totally adorable, not to mention quite powerful. I think this single will do very well, and might even be worth grading. It is from the 90s Binder set.

480518.jpg
Oh wow, Good commander maybe :)

I've made reference to the fact I was an original MTG play tester as well as one of the first people to teach gamers how to play at conventions. I dug through a few boxes today and came across my collection of Plague Rats. I would ask people to please name their rat and sign their name (or initials). I have 50 different rats PLUS one named and signed by Anson himself!

I pulled a sample to share.

Please meet крыса (Russian for rat), Rampant, and Algernon (it's hard to read, but it says "but he can call me flower if he wants to".
2023-06-17 16.30.39.jpg

Next are Renfield, Gucky, and Mortamyr.
2023-06-17 16.31.07.jpg

Next are Nezume (Japanese for rat), Meow Mix, and Ratsputin.
2023-06-17 16.32.08.jpg

Then Mistress Morbid, Ratatouille, and Nostradomus (or is that Nostradamouse?).
2023-06-17 16.32.23.jpg

Here is Anson's rat, "Sletch"
2023-06-17 16.32.47.jpg

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom