Made our straight, now what? (1 Viewer)

snooptodd

3 of a Kind
Reaction score
Playing $1-$3 NLH, Hero is dealt Td-9d on the button. UTG+1, a spewy LAG, makes it $10 to go. Two other players call (reads on them aren't particularly important, just to say that this builds the pot a bit), hero calls, blinds fold. Hero has a stack of about $140, SLAG easily has him covered.

Flop (~$40)
7h 8h 3c

SLAG makes it $20, other players fold, hero calls

Turn (~$80)

6h

SLAG checks. Obviously hero needs to bet, but how much?

Well, we don't want another heart to hit the river and potentially kill us without making our opponent pay for it, so I'd lean towards a bet of $40-50 in this spot.

Well, we don't want another heart to hit the river and potentially kill us without making our opponent pay for it, so I'd lean towards a bet of $40-50 in this spot.

I agree with this. I'd definitely lean towards making it 50.

I'm a spewy LAG, and if I hit the flush I would check right here. Make it $32, and proceed with caution.

Makes sense. If he is loose, he's also most likely calling 30 to hit his flush. I guess it depends on what the OP's goal is here. If the goal is to take it down, I'd lean towards 50 bucks. If he wants to keep him in the hand, 30 works.

I'm 3-betting pre here. Maybe not every time, but most of them at least.

As played bet $60, snap-call a jam. I respect what Chippy is saying but we just aren't deep enough to NOT be pot-committed against a spewy LAG here. We are never getting away from this.

Hero considers going all in because the guy is honestly so spewy he might call with non-flush, non set hands. Hero opts to bet $60, LAGtard calls.

River (~$200)

Kh

LAGtard checks. Hero?

Check behind, we aren't getting called by worse. Maybe we could get a weak flush to fold, but why was villain calling on the turn only to check-fold the river if he had one heart and the flush gets there?

Agreed check behind, straight is rarely good and we are only getting called by better

With $60 behind and $200 in the middle, we're surely never folding better. By shipping, we're risking $60 to win $60 more. ie we need to be called by worse more often than by better. I can't see how that's possibly the case. check behind.

Preflop: Hero's stack is quite short to be playing a speculative hand. Hero will have $130 behind and the pot is $40-$43 gives us a stack to pot ratio (SPR) of three. That is the domain for top pair hands not speculative hands.

Flop: I lean towards a jam rather than calling $20 (though Hero is getting OK odds to call) ($80 pot, $110 in Hero's stack after catching up to the call.)

Turn: Jam. Hero's stack is far too small to find a fold vs a flush. Hero can easily get pot committed with a small turn bet. Perhaps Hero can bet turn and fold on the river when a 4th heart hits, but it is a LAGgy villain betting and Hero would be getting something like 4-1 odds to call a river bet.

River: Woo Hoo free show down, lets take it.

DrStrange

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom