Macro Lens Chip Pr0n (1 Viewer)

justsomedude

Straight Flush
Reaction score
She just arrived today.

I haven't really had time to take her for a thorough test drive, but the first sample is showing some promise...

macro-sample-1.jpg

I might have to pull some sets out and start some new pr0n threads with this puppy!

She just arrived today.

I haven't really had time to take her for a thorough test drive, but the first sample is showing some promise...

View attachment 158290

I might have to pull some sets out and start some new pr0n threads with this puppy!

Little chromatic aberration around the stamping, are you correcting for that in Lightroom? Light looks like it needs to be diffused a bit more, or bounced.

That’s said, I like the composition and sharpness!

Looks fantastic! I was online researching and shopping macro lenses myself. What focal length did you go with? And what type of body/lens? I have a Nikon D800s, so I'm gotta locked in to Nikkor (or compatible) lenses.

Looks fantastic! I was online researching and shopping macro lenses myself. What focal length did you go with? And what type of body/lens? I have a Nikon D800s, so I'm gotta locked in to Nikkor (or compatible) lenses.

I’ve had macro lenses ranging from 35mm to 200mm. Currently I have a 35, 60, 100, and 150. The 200 was spectacular (with a price tag to match), but honestly a bit long and impossible to handhold. Even a decent tripod wasn’t quite enough to get everything out of that lens.

I actually have both a 60mm and 150mm lens with Nikon mounts that I haven’t used in years. If you want to try either of them, just cover shipping and I’ll send it down to you to play around with.

Middle picture too close!
The picture of the security dot is pissa, and the first closeup is gorgeous. But that middle picture is clinically gross, with all those hairy fibers. It's like knowing how the hot dogs are made - TMI.

You end up seeing all sorts of things you don't normally notice when you approach 1:1 with a macro lens. This isn't all that close up, but I didn't even notice the spider webs until I took the picture.

127276413.LjoCp4fD.tomatoK7_P9677.jpg

Good info here...http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/best-macro-lenses.htm

I've got a Nikon D810 and a D610. I use this 200mm...http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/200mm-micro.htm.
And this 105mm...http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/105vr.htm.

Both are great.

When I'm not so lazy I'll take some photos with both.

Last edited:
Good info here...http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/best-macro-lenses.htm

I've got a Nikon D810 and a D610. I use this 200mm...http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/200mm-micro.htm.
And this 105mm...http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/105vr.htm.

Both are great.

When I'm not so lazy I'll take some photos with both.

Here's some photos recently snapped with the 105mm.
Hand held from about 6", manual focus, moving in and out until focused (kinda like shooting the rifle at the range...shooting between breaths!).
One or two remote flashes, depending on the photo.

Crystal Park High Denominations Security Feature

Last edited:
Here's some photos recently snapped with the 105mm.
Hand held from about 6", manual focus, moving in and out until focused (kinda like shooting the rifle at the range...shooting between breaths!).
One or two remote flashes, depending on the photo.

Crystal Park High Denominations Security Feature

Pretty sweet stuff here. What do the security features actually consist of. It looks like just a blob of metal infused into the chip, is it as simple as that?

The security on the $100 appears to just be some semi-translucent plastic pin that's been baked into the chip. Don't know about the higher denoms.
Edit: One of the security features, that is. $100 also has the micro-dot on the inlay.

Pretty sweet stuff here. What do the security features actually consist of. It looks like just a blob of metal infused into the chip, is it as simple as that?

The security on the $100 appears to just be some semi-translucent plastic pin that's been baked into the chip. Don't know about the higher denoms.
Edit: One of the security features, that is. $100 also has the micro-dot on the inlay.

All of the Crystal Park higher denominations ($100s, $1000s and the $5000s) do have both the micro-dot and the embedded translucent "plastic pin". Not really sure the material that "plastic pin" made from.

Last edited:
I do want to be able to take some nice close up shots like these, but also some out in the world shots.

Any recommendations on a somewhat smaller camera with interchangeable lenses?
Something that doesnt make me look like a weekend photographer?

Anyone have good things to say about the mirrorless cameras?

I do want to be able to take some nice close up shots like these, but also some out in the world shots.

Any recommendations on a somewhat smaller camera with interchangeable lenses?
Something that doesnt make me look like a weekend photographer?

Anyone have good things to say about the mirrorless cameras?
Yes. Fuji X-E2 or X-T2 are superb mirrorless interchangeable lens cameras, and the Fuji XF lenses for these cameras are nothing short of amazing.

Yes. Fuji X-E2 or X-T2 are superb mirrorless interchangeable lens cameras, and the Fuji XF lenses for these cameras are nothing short of amazing.

Thanks. i'll look at those. Maybe more $ than i want to spend for a casual camera (yeah i know, you get what you pay for).

Was hoping there may be a $1k or under one that suits my needs. So many out there, tough to wade through all the reviews.

I use a Sigma 105mm macro on my D750 and D7200. Pretty happy with it. I also have an old Nikkor 55mm manual focus macro and its extension tube.

If you can find them, the Nikon 3T, 4T, 5T and 6T filters work well for glass over 85mm or so (many regular close up filters start to fall down on longer focal lengths but the Nikon filters are multi element). I hear good things about the Tokina 100mm macro as well. And of course the Nikon 105 macro is awesome but pricey.

I use a Sigma 105mm macro on my D750 and D7200. Pretty happy with it. I also have an old Nikkor 55mm manual focus macro and its extension tube.

If you can find them, the Nikon 3T, 4T, 5T and 6T filters work well for glass over 85mm or so (many regular close up filters start to fall down on longer focal lengths but the Nikon filters are multi element). I hear good things about the Tokina 100mm macro as well. And of course the Nikon 105 macro is awesome but pricey.

My Tokina was a hot mess... slow to focus and bad CA. Sent it back for the Tamron, which I love.

Would love to see some shots from your Sigma!

More shots with the Sigma 105mm Macro. These are with no Lightroom adjustments (other than bringing up exposure 2/3 stop) so no CA or distortion compensation. First chip is my crappy set (not even the china clay Wallsons but some slugged plastic clone of them) and a ceramic sample chip.
chip3.jpg
chip4.jpg
chip5.jpg

Attachments

• chip6.jpg
    chip6.jpg
    125.4 KB · Views: 113

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom