Lucky Derby, Relabeling (1 Viewer)

duckdrummer

Sitting Out
Reaction score
Would any of you who got in on the Lucky Derby chips be interested in a cooperative effort in designing new labels for these?

Yes, considered it myself. All depends on the final product, condition of chips, etc... If the $4 chips are amazing, I might have to look at labeling these.

Thete a few version of the $5 chip. Maybe he some of the lighter ones.

If the $4 chips are amazing, I might have to look at labeling these.

I took a chance on the mystery chip too. Unfortunately, the blues were all gone. I had no business buying these. I have a ceramic all loaded and ready to go. Alas, I was sick of all these war stories of super cheap Paulsons and not having any of my own to tell. Hope I get a shot at some blues when they come in.

Hope I get a shot at some blues when they come in.

You should... Jim said he was only holding a portion of the chips for the sight unseen sale. There will certainly be more available. And, shocking as it is, I recall a few times where nicer condition chips were offered later (in a sale) cheaper than they were initially offered "unseen". Don't fret.

Thete a few version of the $5 chip. Maybe he some of the lighter ones.
I hope that they are candidates for relabels as I bought on color with no regard to existing denoms. Stupidly, I failed to take advantage of any of the limited quantity chips.

It's Saturday night, I know.. but it's dangerous to drink and post... ;)

You caught me! :)

evidence.jpg

:cool:

You caught me! :)
:cool:

Not judging... During previous meetups, after 12 hours of poker, drinking, and posting to AlbinoDragon's Live Blog, there were some FAWESOMELY funny posts... Just ask Gil about his delicious Chocolate Chip Ponies!!!!

BWAHAHA

chocolatechip.jpg

Last edited:
I am! Come on, you should drink better beer than that....

I've tried many beers, Heineken and Molson are the only two that a really like. At least its not natty ice. :)

Relabel a used hotstamped chip, are you talking about milling out the chip to achieve this ?

Relabel a used hotstamped chip, are you talking about milling out the chip to achieve this ?
Maybe. I really don't know what will be required. I only know that the denominations must either be different or done away with entirely. If the stamps are sufficiently worn, it might be possible to just slap a new label on them. If it is possible to remove the values and restamp them with something different, I would even consider that.

First time I have tried something like this, so there is research to do. Unfortunately, there is a ton of conflicting information out there about cleaning and removing hot stamps. And there is very little info into potential latent damage to the chips for any of the cleaning methods I have looked at thus far.

I took a chance on the mystery chip too. Unfortunately, the blues were all gone. I had no business buying these. I have a ceramic all loaded and ready to go. Alas, I was sick of all these war stories of super cheap Paulsons and not having any of my own to tell. Hope I get a shot at some blues when they come in.

This is how it starts . . . for me it was the PCA $1.00 secondaries. They were "mint" . . . I was naïve . . . just a HU set. Pretty soon you start meeting with folks in Church basements where everyone introduces themselves with the same line . . . my name is _________, and I am a chipaholic. Hi, duckdrummer, welcome. This is a safe place . . .

This is how it starts . . . for me it was the PCA $1.00 secondaries. They were "mint" . . . I was naïve . . . just a HU set. Pretty soon you start meeting with folks in Church basements where everyone introduces themselves with the same line . . . my name is _________, and I am a chipaholic. Hi, duckdrummer, welcome. This is a safe place . . .

It's a sticky thing. If it doesn't get you right away, it keeps chipping (pun intended) away at you. I joined CT in 2006 and managed to make it until this year without buying so much as a sample. I kept coming across sets that appealed to me only to find they weren't available any longer. I probably would not have jumped on the Lucky Derby if Paulson hadn't made their much lamented nascent decision to stop production for home market. I went to order some Avalons, but there wasn't enough left to make a micro Lego set. So, here I am, but I am still just a social chipper.

Rrriiiiiiiiiiiiiiiigghhttt.

Meetings are Tuesdays and Thursday nights . . . I'll see you around. LOL

Maybe so. I am wishing I had ordered more than the some odd hundreds I did order. I will have to check the college basketball schedule for week nights. It's the most wonderful time of the year. Maybe I can give the chips a bath whilst I take in a game.

I threw some old vinyl labes on to some decent shape Paulson cherries, and everything seems fine. If you caught some glare from a light source you could see some bumpy underneath it but the shine on the labels makes the design on the label invisible any how.

I suppose with less worn hotstamps with big numbers, it may be more visible and could cause issues with adhesion.

If the stamps are sufficiently worn, it might be possible to just slap a new label on them.

This can work, but be careful with doing this on very worn chips. The label could then be the high point on the face of the chip, which could give you stacking/handling issues. It would also mean the label would wear faster than otherwise.

If it is possible to remove the values and restamp them with something different, I would even consider that.

It's possible to remove the hotstamp by milling out the surface, but re-hot-stamping milled chips tends to not work very well. I haven't done it myself, but I've seen a couple of attempts and the results were only OK. I think one of the people in the chip scene who does hot stamps basically said he wouldn't do stamping on milled chips again.

Unfortunately, there is a ton of conflicting information out there about cleaning and removing hot stamps. And there is very little info into potential latent damage to the chips for any of the cleaning methods I have looked at thus far.

It very much depends on the chip type, and also the hotstamp, for some reason. If you are TRYING to remove the hotstamp from a Paulson chip, it's pretty easy to get rid of the foil. Just use a TSP solution, which will also do a good job of cleaning dirt and oily grime off the chip. Some hotstamps resist TSP better than others. In some cases you can use a TSP solution to clean the chip without damaging the hotstamp at all, if you don't leave the chips soaking for long, and are careful not to scrub the hotstamp while it is "softened."

(BTW, do NOT use TSP on ASM/CPC chips, as it will not only remove the hotstamp, but also start melting the chip. Ask me how I know this :eek:)

In any case, the TSP will only remove the foil from the hotstamp, and you will still be left with the indentations in the chip face, colored slightly orange. If the chips (and therefore the hotstamps) are mint or very new, there are often fairly significant "ridges" at the edges of the stamped bits. These will still be present even if you remove the foil with the TSP method.

To remove the ridges, some people scrape them (e.g. with the back edge of an X-acto blade) or sand them. Both methods are very labor-intensive. I tried both and wasn't happy with the results nor the effort required, and so I pioneered the idea of using a double-fluted end mill in a drill press to "resurface" chips. This works quite well when you do it right, and leaves you with an inlay area that can be labelled easily. (Again I would recommend against trying to re-hot-stamp a milled chip.)

I offer this service for 20¢ per chip, and not coincidentally I can print custom labels too :) See www.gearlabels.com for more info!

I threw some old vinyl labels on to some decent shape Paulson cherries, and everything seems fine. If you caught some glare from a light source you could see some bumpy underneath it but the shine on the labels makes the design on the label invisible any how.

I suppose with less worn hotstamps with big numbers, it may be more visible and could cause issues with adhesion.

True, you can label directly over existing hotstamps, but you will have both of the problems mentioned -- with the light at the right angle, the surface of the chip will look quite "lumpy" which personally I find unappealing. Not to mention shiny labels, which I'm not a fan of either :)

If the hotstamps are "ridgey" enough, you will also have adhesion issues.

Hope that helps!

A polyester label could help hide defects
is more rigid than vinyl
I use that option while for labeling of some solids /roulettes for a tourney home custom set

A polyester label is for laser printers is the same material used for labels in computers , outdoor items or electric items this don't need laminate plastic is resistant to faded

Yes Sir is the same, the base color is White gloss, White, yellow and silver is cheap and durable for home works

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom