Low Stakes PLO Hand Discussion (1 Viewer)

Try to balance what you limp with and what you raise with

I think I "balance" my play. My perception of how I play is probably different than everyone else's lol. THoughts @mike32 and @ChaosRock ?

Pre-flop: Without Paulo in the hand, I'd pot it, but since he limped, I just flat. I try not to raise pots out of position when facing a pro.

That absolutely true. I change the way I play hands when I'm involved in a pot with someone that can read my cards better than I can :)

Is it the language barrier that is causing you to misunderstand compliments :);)

See what I mean?!?!? Language barrier?!?!? I don't think I have any language barrier at all...

I appreciate the compliments but I couldn't be farther from being compared to a pro...

See what I mean?!?!? Language barrier?!?!? I don't think I have any language barrier at all...

I appreciate the compliments but I couldn't be farther from being compared to a pro...

I was joking obviously. Maybe not a "pro" so to speak. You are a pretty damn good fucking player who causes havoc within my game .

You're going 8 ways to the flop with top set? This is the prime candidate to check-raise since you're first to act. Someone will have to bet this flop since it's so wet. Wait in the weeds and smash their flop bets with enough leverage to get all-in (or close to it) on any turn.

You're going 8 ways to the flop with top set? This is the prime candidate to check-raise since you're first to act. Someone will have to bet this flop since it's so wet. Wait in the weeds and smash their flop bets with enough leverage to get all-in (or close to it) on any turn.
And then lose to which, a flush or a straight?
Don't mind me, I'll be outside, waiting for the PLO orbit to end.

I don't mind a check/raise also. I probably like a Pot lead a bit better but the c/r is definitely a totally viable line imo.

I remember the hand in question. My recollection is Paulo tanked on the river (or turn?) then folded but declared what he thought you had. You told him he was wrong but you can’t show because he doesn’t show. I remember thinking to myself Bill is doing it right if they think they know how he is playing it and they are wrong. So yes I think you do balance your play. I know I have seen you raise light and or bluff, and raise with strong hands fwiw.

Sorry, was trying to answer your question about balancing play. I’m frequently too buzzed to remember hands very well so I was kinda proud of myself this time.

Could you edit it your reply please.

Also, afterwards I told Paulo what I had and we discussed it privately. I also don't like showing my hands when Kris is at the table. He also "NEVER" shows.

I don't mind a check/raise also. I probably like a Pot lead a bit better but the c/r is definitely a totally viable line imo.

Most of the people I play with are too passive. If I lead I can expect almost the entire table to call.:)

That's fine with me when I'm holding top set but since the pot is small the only way to get the stack in will be to get a raise in on the flop or the turn. I'm hoping for the check raise!

And then lose to which, a flush or a straight?
Don't mind me, I'll be outside, waiting for the PLO orbit to end.

What turns are bad for top set here? A LOT. But if you checkraise, you can pot the turn for most of your stack on a brick and basically say, "Come at me bro!" And if a bad card like 9h comes on the turn, you'll have the odds to draw for your overfull anyway.

So, my failure to be pre flop has put me in a tough spot. My own damn fault. I think its probable that one of two things will happen and I want to avoid both of them. I think that if I bet. I very well could take down the $4.00 pot due to how tight I have been playing. More likely, I would make a bet and would get four or five callers. I don't want either situation. I decide to check.

So, of course what happens is it checks all the damn way to @ChaosRock . He is in the c/o position. Paulo bets three bucks. I don't remember if the button called the three or not.

Flop reminder

Ah/8h/7d

I have top set. 7 bucks in the pot. What is my action?

So, my failure to be pre flop has put me in a tough spot. My own damn fault. I think its probable that one of two things will happen and I want to avoid both of them. I think that if I bet. I very well could take down the $4.00 pot due to how tight I have been playing. More likely, I would make a bet and would get four or five callers. I don't want either situation. I decide to check.

So, of course what happens is it checks all the damn way to @ChaosRock . He is in the c/o position. Paulo bets three bucks. I don't remember if the button called the three or not.

Flop reminder

Ah/8h/7d

I bet Pot ($4) when it's checked all the way to me on the CO. Shocker!!!! :p

Could you edit it your reply please.

Also, afterwards I told Paulo what I had and we discussed it privately. I also don't like showing my hands when Kris is at the table. He also "NEVER" shows.

Never EVER. Not even at showdown unless forced to... He will wait for a winner to be turned up, even if he bet last, unless the winner makes him show.

Seriously? FIVE other players check this flop to the cutoff? What the hell are they playing? With a late position bet only, you're not trapping any dead money in between you and the initial bettor. Cold call and you can see what the turn brings. You may even get one of the initial checking players to put in your checkraise FOR you. Then you're able to really lower the boom on them.

Flop reminder

Ah/8h/7d

I like a re-pot, or close to it. Maybe throw 3 birds there. I understand what @Kain8 is saying but you're counting on not only you trapping the flop but also another mid-position player. Possible? Yeah, possible. Likely, not sure, I would guess not very likely. If you just flat and you have another 3 callers, you're again OOP multi-way on a draw heavy board. Also, you're blocking a lot of 2P combos with your AAs so you're relying on the other sets, a few 2P and draws that are planning on check/raising.

Last edited:
I'm not sure that a check-call in this situation gets rid of many hands, Bill. It's only three more dollars. I know one player in particular will pay $3 to watch monkeys fuck a football. And I agree, you don't want five or more hands in play after the flop.

On the other hand, a check pot is a raise to $16. That should get rid of everyone between you and @ChaosRock. If he folds, you're doing better than a $4 pot. If he calls your pot bet, you're ahead. He either has a weaker set, a flush draw, or a straight draw (or both/all three). Most likely, the nut flush draw (particularly because Paulo remembers the :ah: on the flop... He was probably holding the :kh:) and you still have better re-draws.

I like a check-pot here.

FWIW, I probably flat the flop too, for the same reasons that you did. However, reading the discussion here, that might change in the future.

I'm not sure that a check-call in this situation gets rid of many hands, Bill. It's only three more dollars. I know one player in particular will pay $3 to watch monkeys fuck a football. And I agree, you don't want five or more hands in play after the flop.

On the other hand, a check pot is a raise to $16. That should get rid of everyone between you and @ChaosRock. If he folds, you're doing better than a $4 pot. If he calls your pot bet, you're ahead. He either has a weaker set, a flush draw, or a straight draw (or both/all three). Most likely, the nut flush draw (particularly because Paulo remembers the :ah: on the flop... He was probably holding the :kh:) and you still have better re-draws.

I like a check-pot here.

FWIW, I probably flat the flop too, for the same reasons that you did. However, reading the discussion here, that might change in the future.

$4 not $3, but yeah, the difference of a $1 wouldn't change the calling decision. And as you write it I can see said player saying exactly that: fuck it, I'd pay more to see monkeys fuk, LOL!!!

While the check-raise from another player is unlikely, are you really wanting to go to war with top set when you can't get a majority of your stack in beforehand? If you check then re-pot, Hero still has $100 in his stack with around a $40 - $45 pot if called by the cutoff. If a black deuce rolls off on the turn, you can't even get the rest of your stack in.

If you just flat and go heads up, the pot is only $15. Much easier to play as you don't have much invested and you can check/call on any turn.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom